How to transfer videos to computer???

The following is from Wolf_Child's sticky, Helmet Cam 101, at the beginning of this section. It may help you understand. Before you purchase an editing software, look for Windows Movie Maker on your computer. You may already have what you need.

Computer

This is the often over looked piece of the puzzle. Without a computer that is up to the task of video editing. Then going any further is pointless. But don’t panic, this is not as bad as it sounds. Simple upgrades may be in order, that are relatively cheap and easy to do. While it can be done on lesser systems, my recommendations are for the following:

-1.0ghz or higher CPU

-512mb or more RAM

-40GB or higher Hard Drive space (for storage purposes)

-IEEE 1394 “firewire” card

If you don’t have a firewire card, don’t panic. www.newegg.com is a great place to get all of your upgrades cheap. I use them a lot and have never had a problem. Here is a roughly $15 firewire card that I have that come with an interface cable and Ulead’s Video Studio DV editing software.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...N82E16815124015

Also you will need a video editing program. The one mentioned above does the job, but can be difficult to use. Windows Movie Maker in XP Pro does the job and is easy to use. But it has very limited capabilities. Editing software is pricey and what’s the best is subject to debate and strictly the opinion of the user. I went cheap and use what I can get for free.

The following is from Wolf_Child's sticky, Helmet Cam 101, at the beginning of this section. It may help you understand. Before you purchase an editing software, look for Windows Movie Maker on your computer. You may already have what you need.

Computer

This is the often over looked piece of the puzzle. Without a computer that is up to the task of video editing. Then going any further is pointless. But don’t panic, this is not as bad as it sounds. Simple upgrades may be in order, that are relatively cheap and easy to do. While it can be done on lesser systems, my recommendations are for the following:

-1.0ghz or higher CPU

-512mb or more RAM

-40GB or higher Hard Drive space (for storage purposes)

-IEEE 1394 “firewire” card

If you don’t have a firewire card, don’t panic. www.newegg.com is a great place to get all of your upgrades cheap. I use them a lot and have never had a problem. Here is a roughly $15 firewire card that I have that come with an interface cable and Ulead’s Video Studio DV editing software.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...N82E16815124015

Also you will need a video editing program. The one mentioned above does the job, but can be difficult to use. Windows Movie Maker in XP Pro does the job and is easy to use. But it has very limited capabilities. Editing software is pricey and what’s the best is subject to debate and strictly the opinion of the user. I went cheap and use what I can get for free.

i'm not trying to be a bastard but that didnt answer my question

OK - Let me try again.

You will need a video editing software to capture video from your camera. You have to connect your camera to your computer with a firewire cable or USB cable. Inside the editing software you click on the option to capture video and follow the instructions. It takes a while to capture the video once it gets started. Then you can use the same editing software to make a movie. Is that better? Hope this helps.

alright guys, i just got a sony handycam for xmas also. its a different model...DCR-HC32 it came with a station that the camera sits in and that has the cable ports for hooking up to the computer. it also had the software to capture video. it puts it in avi. format but a 10 sec. clip is about 115mb. way to much. what do i need to do to make it small enough so i can get my clips on putfile.

alright guys, i just got a sony handycam for xmas also. its a different model...DCR-HC32 it came with a station that the camera sits in and that has the cable ports for hooking up to the computer. it also had the software to capture video. it puts it in avi. format but a 10 sec. clip is about 115mb. way to much. what do i need to do to make it small enough so i can get my clips on putfile.

It's all good ridewot911! The DCT based intraframe compression used in miniDV is the highest consumer quality video out there. The raw data rate of miniDV is about 25Mbps though (that's 1/5th the actual video rate of 125Mbps), so you'll need to compress further.

You'll want to import your clip in MovieMaker, or another video editing program, then save it as a windows media file (.wmv).

You'll want to test the differnent options to get the best quality for your video at a data rate that'll work for Internet downloads - something less than 1Mbps. Window size yeilds the largest gains - start with a 320x240 window. Once your done you should be able to get a minute or more of good quality video in the 10MB file restriction at putfile. Or for $50/yr you can put 'em on your own web site and not worry about file size.

-d

You need to first buy a Firewire card that you install in your computer. Then take you camera to a computer store such as Best Buy or Fry's Electronics and let them know you want to transfer video from the camera to your computer using your firewire card. They will help you get the correct cable. From there it is going to be a matter of you messing around with software and a probably a few failed attempts before you get the hang of it.

ben

You need to first buy a Firewire card that you install in your computer. Then take you camera to a computer store such as Best Buy or Fry's Electronics and let them know you want to transfer video from the camera to your computer using your firewire card. They will help you get the correct cable. From there it is going to be a matter of you messing around with software and a probably a few failed attempts before you get the hang of it.

ben

How much is all of that ganna cost me??? :applause: