Anodize or powder-coat???

Which would last longer on hubs????? :applause:

just paint them...It's not like hubs get beat up. I just took my stock hubs and polished them...they look pimp'n :applause: but paint is good to. If you have money to spend powdercoat.

Anodize will fade.

i could be wrong but i dont think anodizing fades. and hubs do get beat up or at least mine do.

Anodizing last longer on rims.

Powder coated rims

P1010005.jpg

After 500 miles

IMGP1243.jpg

Once the tire flexing rubs through the powder coat it starts to chip.

If you do rims i would anadize them it will last and for the hubs i would also do this just to be sure it doesn't get chipped from a rock or something.

what kind of hubs are they? and what kind of bike?

Anodizing last longer on rims.

Powder coated rims

P1010005.jpg

After 500 miles

IMGP1243.jpg

Once the tire flexing rubs through the powder coat it starts to chip.

That looks like the wheel wasn't prepared properly befor being powder coated.

Anodizing looks much more "trick". You'll want to check what services and finishes your anodizer offers, there are some super-cool multi colored variations that can be done if you "dare to be different" and get something other than plain old red, blue, green, gold, or black. :applause:

Whats more expensive? Powdercoating or Anodizing. I always thought that powdercoat was a mat look and anodizing made them shiny? Am i that wrong?

That looks like the wheel wasn't prepared properly befor being powder coated.

Thats what i was thinking

Whats more expensive? Powdercoating or Anodizing. I always thought that powdercoat was a mat look and anodizing made them shiny? Am i that wrong?

I got my rims Powder coated for $20 each. I think anodizing is more expensive. Powdercoats are Glossy. I have my frame and swingarm Ceramic coated black and it has a flat or mat look to it

Your wheels were not prepared right. If done right it will not chip on its own like that. I use to work at a powder coating shop. there are shiny version of coating. There are many many different versions of coating just like there is of paint. Make sure the stuff that is being used will hold up to the sun and outside weather. Not all coating is made for the same thing. I had my old rims done in black with absolutely no probs. Anodizing and powdercoating will both scratch and wear where the tire rubs and from tire irons.

The thing with anodizing is you have to be careful what you clean it with.

Its on my 03 yz 450. The rims are tweaked so i figured i would lace up a new set of excel rims on my stock hubs!!! I know powercoating can chip and i heard that anodize can peal. But it sounds that anodizing will be better in the long run!

Those wheels were not prepped properly, especially for that application. They were just sprayed over anodized aluminum. They should have recieved a light abrasive blasting (180 grit aluminum oxide) and then coated.

Powercoating is a paint process where the part is electrically charged and powdered dry paint is applied. Then the part is baked in an oven which liquifies the paint and then cooled down to dry. You can get powder coating in hundreds of colors, flat, textured, candy apple, etc. You can also apply powdercoat to almost any metal surface. It is usually less durable than anodizing. I polished and powdercoated some hubs once and it lasted for about a year of riding and then began chipping. Usually stock hubs cannot be anodized because they are cast and not billet aluminum. Most anodizers will not anodize cast aluminum because it can contain impurites and sometimes will not come out with an even color. When I checked, powdercoating and anodizing were about the same cost. One thing I would like to try is polishing my hubs and having them nickel plated. I had a friend that did that and it looks great. Nickle plating is more durable than powder coating and the color doesn't fade like anodizing can.