Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Woods Weapon

I am switching from a WR250F to a 2006 YZ 125 for GNCC-style racing. So far, I have added a FMF Pipe/Silencer, V-Force reeds, 18-inch rear wheel, 50-T rear sprocket, 3-gallon IMS Tank and Scotts Stabilizer. Does anyone have any other tips on mods that will help make this a better woods weapon?

hmm.. well almost have everything.. im currently setting mine up for harescrambles also. you just need some handguards, more crash protection such as radguards, skidplates, and definately get your engine ported and polished. during harescrambles you definatley wont be able to keep the 125 in the powerband the whole time, so get it ported for more low-mid rpm power

Send the motor to Terry Varner and have him bore and stroke it. You wont BELIEVE the results.

Other than that, sound like youve got a sweet machine. :applause:

hmm.. well almost have everything.. im currently setting mine up for harescrambles also. you just need some handguards, more crash protection such as radguards, skidplates, and definately get your engine ported and polished. during harescrambles you definatley wont be able to keep the 125 in the powerband the whole time, so get it ported for more low-mid rpm power

And a pipe guard, last thing you need is a smashed pipe.

I ride a YZ125 for off-road, hare scrambes and GP type events. Mine is set up just about like yours.

I recommend the Steahly 8 ounce flywheel weight and a good skidplate. The flywhel weight was just enough to completely eliminate any rear brake stalling (I tend to be a brake dragger), yet is light enough not to slow the YZ's responsiveness.

The 125 is one of the funnest bikes to ride off road. Lots of people laugh about riding the 125--until they try it, then they buy one!

So, you like the flywheel weight?? I am a brake-dragger as well. Does the bike still have the same "hit", or is it more tractable with the 8-oz weight?

thanks!

The fllywheel smooths out the hit to a degree and slows the revs, but only a little. I put a 12oz. on my wifes KX100 and it helps keep it from hitting too hard when traction is difficult.

Anyone out there riding the 125 offroad that is over 200lbs? I love wringing my wife's KX out, but it is absurdly small on me: but it makes me think a 125 would be a blast offroad, but I am 210 and 6'4" so I wonder if it would leave me wanting more...

So, you like the flywheel weight?? I am a brake-dragger as well. Does the bike still have the same "hit", or is it more tractable with the 8-oz weight?

thanks!

The flywheel weight was the best performance mod I have done to the bike. It smoothed out the low end response (it is not as abropt) and seemed to have no effect on the "hit." I do not know about the heavier weights, but the 8 ounce is gold as far as I am concerned.

The fllywheel smooths out the hit to a degree and slows the revs, but only a little. I put a 12oz. on my wifes KX100 and it helps keep it from hitting too hard when traction is difficult.

Anyone out there riding the 125 offroad that is over 200lbs? I love wringing my wife's KX out, but it is absurdly small on me: but it makes me think a 125 would be a blast offroad, but I am 210 and 6'4" so I wonder if it would leave me wanting more...

I have also thought about going 125, but have thought, I'm 6 ft, 200lbs and i would kill the bike, so i would be very interested if anybody else who is over 200lbs rides a 125 offroad or MX and is happy with it?