Homemade headlight mod.....

Decided to shed a little S-weight.

Started with the rear end. Put on the Acerbis enduro taillight:

dscf01536wx.jpg

(Why do we blank out the license plate number? I only did because everyone else does.)

Attached the taillight assembly to a spare hole in the sub-frame and just wired my plate to the plastic. The whole thing is very secure just like that.

dscf01528vd.jpg

OK. Now for the headlight. Took it off a week ago. Took the speedo off the other day. (Rode twice with an empty headlight shroud.)

dscf01548er.jpg

And today I put it back on. But without the brackets, housing or mounting ring. First I used silicon adhesive to glue the headlight directly into the shroud (did this last night).

dscf01565qe.jpg

Then I used strap hangers to fasten the shroud to the bike's frame. Losing the speedo freed up a couple of bolts. Had to trim the straps down a couple of times to find out just how short they should be.

dscf01583pj.jpg

dscf01613eo.jpg

It's not the prettiest mod I've made, but it seems to work.

dscf01698lz.jpg

This is what I shed:

dscf01645yj.jpg

And this is how it looks:

dscf01679fk.jpg

Rode it around on the street this evening. At first the headlight was pointing a little too far down, and needed an upward vertical adjustment. I had a longer 5 mm. dia. bolt on hand just for this, and used nylon spacers to "adjust" the bottom of the shroud out from the frame to raise the beam. Now it's perfect.

Horizontally, the beam was fine. I had "precision adjusted" it earlier by taking pliers and pulling and twisting the straps until the shroud was centered on the bike.

dscf01683cc.jpg

We'll see how the adhesive holds up. I used gobs and gobs of it. (Boy does it stink!) Even if the headlight comes unglued, there's not enough space for it to fall out of the shroud.

Losing the stock taillight, headlight brackets, and speedo/speedo brackets, the bike is now noticeably less top heavy. It doesn't have that "if you don't hold onto me real good I'm gonna fall over" feeling anymore. I can lean the bike over a lot further and catch it between my legs. Before, I couldn't. Funny what a big difference a couple of pounds high up on the bike can make in how "heavy" it feels.

I think I'm ready to move on to engine design.

No more spedo eh? Looks like you lost some weight though. How much did all stuff off of the front weigh in at?

I have a small GPS unit - Garmin Forerunner - made for hikers, joggers and bicycles. Does speed, distance, elevation, lat/long, trip time, tracking. You can barely see the mount for it off to the left in one of the pics.

I have the stuff in a plastic bag and will bring over to a buddy's so we can weigh it on his postal scale. Less than 5 lbs. is my guess. I'll let you know.

thats interesting. I have thought of doing something like that myself. It really made a diff in how the bike feels? Let us know how much weight you shed.

nice mod, but the headlight also takes up a hafty weight...

using a plastic reflector such as an after market one, or even the E model,

would have reduced some extra weight.

plus, plastic don't mind getting "injured", and costs less.

now, for the liscense plate, mine isn't bolted to the sub-frame.

i drilled little holes in it and use zip-ties to strap it on.

this way i can remove it in matter of seconds and install back right away

when off-roading or track riding(no need for a plate in those places :applause: )

good work though! :bonk:

(Why do we blank out the license plate number? I only did because everyone else does.)

It's a little internet paranoia I think. Ya never now what an industrious wackjob could do with your info though. Better safe than sorry, or bikeless :applause:

nice mod, but the headlight also takes up a hafty weight...

using a plastic reflector such as an after market one, or even the E model,

would have reduced some extra weight.

Yeah, I was going to swap for an E headlight with someone local, but then decided to mess around as per above. Also, my headlight has a 80/100w bulb in it, and I haven't decided if I wanted to go the enduro route with the headlight yet.

Basically, I just wanted to mess around.

Basically, I just wanted to mess around.

messing around is what we're here for :applause:

I dont think that a plastic E lens would handle a 80/100 for very long.

I dont think that a plastic E lens would handle a 80/100 for very long.

Exactly.

By the way, rode around for about 2 hours today. Still have my headlight.

80/100 will melt the lens-I havent done it on an e but on maier plastics shroud on a street bike (dont ask)-the lens gets sticky and soft like toffey and dirt accelerates the process

headlight/speedo hardward taken off = 3.3 lbs.

rear taillight assembly/license plate bracet = 1.8 lbs.

headlight hardward taken off = 3.3 lbs.

rear taillight assembly/license plate bracet = 1.8 lbs.

does that headlight hardware include the speedo?

does that headlight hardware include the speedo?

Yes. I realized after I posted that I was including the speedo and its mounting hardware in the 3.3 lbs.