Sign in to follow this  

2001 DRZ-400S suspension question

Hi there, I have a 2001 DRZ400S. I know the front forks are not as good as the 02 and older DRZ's. So I am in the process of getting either E forks or '02 and newer S forks. Now for the rear spring and shock, what is the difference between my 01 S and the 02 and newer S and E? Is the difference in just the springs or are the shocks different also? I weight about 185lb and will be about 175lb by spring time. Goto get trim for the ride. Thanks to all the reply.

The shock is indeed different - the shock on your bike has no rebound adjustment but the newer ones do.

The shock is indeed different - the shock on your bike has no rebound adjustment but the newer ones do.

The shock DOES have compression dampening. Which I've been thinking of as rebound dampening, but I guess that's wrong.

Hi there, I have a 2001 DRZ400S. I know the front forks are not as good as the 02 and older DRZ's. So I am in the process of getting either E forks or '02 and newer S forks. Now for the rear spring and shock, what is the difference between my 01 S and the 02 and newer S and E? Is the difference in just the springs or are the shocks different also? I weight about 185lb and will be about 175lb by spring time. Goto get trim for the ride. Thanks to all the reply.

If you're gonna replace the forks go ahead and replace them with RM250 forks.

regarding RM Forks, Do I have to change any internal components such as springs because the DRZ400 is heavier than the RM250?

Yes, but you better address the specifics of what you'll need to do with burned. He's the expert.