Sign in to follow this  

Best year for CR 250

What would the best year for the CR 250. Im looking to get a fast bike and the big thumpers seem to hold their value too well :bonk: . What years had the best motor, trans, chassis etc.??? :applause:

I've owned a 00', and my buddy has an 01'. While I really like those bikes, I still like my 03' better.

I know the 03's have a bad rep about a week motor, stock I agree, but if you have the money to pipe it and put a set of V-force reeds on it, it pulls really strong and smooth then. Not to mention the newer generation frame handles much better IMO.

2001 from what I have read also. My uncle just bought a 03 and it seems pretty fast although I just rode it for a min in the guys yard that was selling it as I was with him when he looked at it the first time. He ended up getting it for $2500 so it wasn't too expensive either.

2001 as far as motor goes..but if you have the money an 02-06 chassis with an 01 motor, it can be done !

What would the best year for the CR 250. Im looking to get a fast bike and the big thumpers seem to hold their value too well :bonk: . What years had the best motor, trans, chassis etc.??? :applause:

That's exactly why I bought my 03 CR250 for under $3000. Lot's of bang for your buck. Fast and fun......not to mention light as a feather.

I kind of am thinking maybe I should have bought one althoug I probably would have gone with an RM250 instead of rebuilding mine as I have put more into my motor on my bike than my uncle paid for the whole bike and mine probably wont be quite as quick as a 2-stroke but it will be fast.

I have owned a number of cr 250's, and in my opinion if you are looking for the best bike from 2000 on it would hands down be the 01. Granted the handeling of the newer frame was better, with just some slight suspension mods the bike handles with the best of them. Yhe motor was amazing. In fact i am looking at buying my old one back to give myself a green sticker bike.

I would have said a 1980.

Last year they made them air cooled, but I'm over 50.

Anybody got a basket case 1980 or 1979 they want me to take out their garage?

I would agree with the 2000 and 2001 models. If you want to know before the aluminum framed years,the 1996 is the best. My 96 had more holeshots then Ive had on my 2004. The 04 took a few mods to make it an ok engine. But I have said to the Mrs. that I would like the 96 motor in the sweet handling 04 model. Its just my opinion. And to the last guy that posted,my 1980 is a pooch. No its not for sale. Good Luck In your search :applause:

hey pgr11! What mods were you talking about. I have a chance to pickup a 01 cr250 for $1500. It is all stock only ridden a couple of times on trails.

2001 CR is one of the greatest bikes ever made IMO.

I gotta ride one of those....

According to MXA the 1993 CR250 was the "ginzu knife" of motocross bikes when it came to cornering (perhaps it held its own against the RM?) but it suffered from severe headshake. It's safeto say the 93 is probably the "best" year of the steel-framed CR because of its awesome turning prowness...and MC won all his SX titles on a 93 chassis. As far as aluminum frame models, the 01 could be it, but I've seen 3rd gen frames (02-06) with the 01 motor..that is the best CR250 IMO and can be done with very little mod (head stay modification?)

I had a 1994 CR250 and spent considerable hours on a couple 2001 CR250's that some buddies had a couple years ago. Powerwise, the '94 and 01's were equivalent.

I've never ridden a >2001 so I can't say for sure, but I suspect that reports of the newer CR250R engine performance (or lack of) is the result of the greatly inflated parroting of magazine tests performed by riders with nothing of any redeeming value to report.

For me, I've never twisted the throttle on a CR250 and NOT instantly been aware that I am indeed on a CR250. For me, CR250's are as common and as consistent as Cheerios... once I get a taste, it's something that I can recall as tasting exactly the same for the majority of my life.

FWIW, I ride a 2001 CR500.