Sign in to follow this  

Talking down the dealer?

I was reading the post "How much did you pay for your CRF250x" and how a lot of guys got these really good deals. I was just wondering what you say to talk the dealer down in price? My friend just bought a new Honda crf150 and she bought her son a 50cc quad at the dealer RMC in Renton WA they gave her $100 under msrp and no freight or setup charges. He said he would give me the same deal but I saw two of the dealers in Tennessee are charging a lot less than even that amount ($6,200 + tax). But then I would still have to pay shipping and I'm sure I would have to pay taxes on it when I get it licensed in washington 8.6% . So anyways can you guys help me out and give me some good techniques on talking the dealer down on price? By the way my buddy, uncle, and I are all buying CRF250X and the same time so that might help too.

Thanks,

Brian

I'd love to see a dealer tell me exactly what THEIR cost is and exactly how much they're making on the sale to me. Instead, they try to hide everything with setup and freight charges.

I would certainly start by getting a price on the bikes you want from ThumperTalk.

If you get the bike shipped from TT, the only "setup" is putting on the handlebars and filling 'em up with fluids (which apparently cost dealers a couple of hundred dollars to do for you).

And if you're buying a new bike, stock bars are good for nothing except back scratchers, so you can just put on your aftermarket bars out of the box.

-----------------------------------------

I am not affiliated with ThumperTalk in any way whatsoever, other than all the free parts they give me for talking them up.

i think it depends on the dealer, I was looking at some CRF 50's not too long ago and my local dealer was like 12 or 13 hundred OTD and a dealer just up north 30min was like almost $1600 OTD and he would not match my local dealer price. Then if i go down south an hour and a half to L.A. i could get one for less than a grand OTD. There is more competion down there so they have to sell them cheaper. I think your best bet is to shop around in your area and see what each dealer will do.

jus call around and get prices and have the other dealers do price matches until you get a good price and then go to the dealer you want to buy from and tell them the price the other dealer would sell it to you for but tell them you'd rather buy from them and they should be a little lower than that price.. and make sure when your getting a price, it's out the door price.. not msrp

If the dealer is quoting you prices based on MSRP, you're screwed.

I bought my son's bike new from a dealer who was charging less than another dealer who was selling the same bike used -- tires worn, scratched, etc -- and a couple of hundred more than people selling the same model two/three years old. So I know I got a great deal.

Personally, I don't understand buying a brand new bike. A 1-3 year old bike, or any bike with low hours/mileage, is still a great bike, but at a fraction of the cost. And you don't mind beating the shit out of it as much.

jus call around and get prices and have the other dealers do price matches until you get a good price and then go to the dealer you want to buy from and tell them the price the other dealer would sell it to you for but tell them you'd rather buy from them and they should be a little lower than that price.. and make sure when your getting a price, it's out the door price.. not msrp

That is my method but be prepared to hear, "They cant be selling it for that, that price is below my cost". Pfffft, whatever.

Personally, I don't understand buying a brand new bike. A 1-3 year old bike, or any bike with low hours/mileage, is still a great bike, but at a fraction of the cost. And you don't mind beating the shit out of it as much.

I guarantee you I could take a brand new bike out and destroy it in less than 5 hours of use if I tried hard enough.

I have also seen guys that buy a new bike every season because their old ones are trashed...

Buying a new bike is a luxury... There is nothing like knowing the bike you have in the garage has maintained properly since oil was put in it.

I don't know how you ride, but I am very easy on my bike. It is 1 1/2 years old and people still mistake it for new at times. I wash it, polish it, and don't do anything with it that is going to scratch it up unnecessarily because I paid my hard earned money for it and that is how I get enjoyment out of riding. There is no way that saving $1k on it would have let me get the same enjoyment out of it that I do, but hey, that's just me.

I do agree with not minding beating the shit out of a used one as much, but I'd rather have a nice shiny one in the garage instead.

Buying new is the only guarantee you have that the bike is in good shape. :applause: If you can afford to do it, I highly recommend it.

As for the original question, I bought my bikes all online. Seeing as how I won't be using them on public land, I only paid sales tax and title fees on the YZ450. The rest are "internet sales."

I got all three of my bikes shipped to me for around $8600, and would have had to pay almost $12000 to buy them locally from the stealer here. When you are talking about that kind of savings, I'm sure you can understand it's worth the extra hassle to buy and have them shipped.

Last I heard, Lake Hill Motors was about the cheapest in the country for Honda.

http://www.yamahadiscountprices.com/

How does

CRF250X

2005 $4,999.99

2006 $5,699.99

compare to your quotes?

some people just don't have th knack of dealing with bike shop dealers and real estate salesman, i am not one of those people:)

i say a variety of things to get what i want and what i want to pay for them:

1: never let the dealer think he's got you.....never

2: never be afraid to ask ...eg: youl throw those into the deal yeah:) be it boots or parts, u will be surprised.

3: never go into a shop thinking or showing that i want that KTM that is the one i want...always say your looking round seeing whats about seeing what deals are available

4: do not sign anything till you get what u want...you'd be surprised how much they can bend when u gt cash money:)

5: allways mention the person your dealing with by name...be his pretend Friend just as he's doing to you!

6: i allways get something after the deals done be it a pipe guard/ free 500km tune up, or both for my last bike.

7: never be afraid to ask.

8: never be afraid to ask----very important - don't be rude but word your questions sternly and confidently, they will do as you say within reason, make it hard for them to say no.

9: be confident and never be afraid to corner them with questions

10: your riding away on your newly purchased bike for the fee u wanted to pay and you got some aftermarket parts on her....Joe blow beside you payed to much and has nuthing in the deal:)....because he was afraid to ask. :applause:

I don't know how you ride, but I am very easy on my bike. It is 1 1/2 years old and people still mistake it for new at times. I wash it, polish it, and don't do anything with it that is going to scratch it up unnecessarily because I paid my hard earned money for it and that is how I get enjoyment out of riding. There is no way that saving $1k on it would have let me get the same enjoyment out of it that I do, but hey, that's just me.

I do agree with not minding beating the shit out of a used one as much, but I'd rather have a nice shiny one in the garage instead.

The LAST thing I am is easy on my bike.

Got a 2001 bike with 2000 miles on it. Paid 3K. Replaced the plastic, got a slip-on, and it was shiny new:

newbike9qv.jpg

Then I started riding it. After putting 2000 miles on it off-road in 3 months, it doesn't look so new anymore. :bonk: Wiped out twice at over 30 mph -- tore off a shroud first time, dented the can the next -- which was an okay was to discover just how tough the bike and I are. (The bike is alot tougher.) No way to ride desert singletrack with all the branches and catii you run up against and still keep the bike nice looking. And the only way I learn how to ride faster, turn tighter, climb bigger rocky, rutted hills, and slide around harder in the dirt is by losing the bike every now and then (OK, lots and lots and lots).

Now my scratched up fenders and side panels and my dented Yosh remind me of all the good times I've had. At this point, I can't imagine having a new looking bike out on the trails. It just don't seem right. And the next bike I get, I'll do the same. Make it pretty, then beat the shit out of it. What's a dirt bike for? :applause: When I want to see pretty, shiny bikes in an indoor setting, I just hop down to the dealer and look at them for free!

bikeold9lf.jpg

(Is this a hijack or what?? :cry:

I guarantee you I could take a brand new bike out and destroy it in less than 5 hours of use if I tried hard enough.

I have also seen guys that buy a new bike every season because their old ones are trashed...

Buying a new bike is a luxury... There is nothing like knowing the bike you have in the garage has maintained properly since oil was put in it.

Buying new is the only guarantee you have that the bike is in good shape. :applause: If you can afford to do it, I highly recommend it.

AMEN Bro!

Buy New every Two. Sell off your extremely well kept two year old to someone who isn't into having "peace of mind"....because that is really what you are paying for......the fact that you know exactly what the bike has been through...and you can keep accurate notes and receipts. Or get top dollar for your super nice trade-in!!

The dealer thing. My old man sold cars for 25 years. Bikes are no different really, except in price. Unless you got the "good buddy hook-up", or you are a well sponsored racer, or you are buying two or more bikes, or you got blackmail on the dealer/salesman.......he is making money off of you, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be in the business of selling bikes/cars whatever!!

The trick with buying any vehicle is this: When you walk through the door, have your check or bankroll in your pocket with the (reasonable) dollar amount that you want the vehicle for. Have your homework done before you go there and know the "right price" for the vehicle and what you are going to pay for it. If he is saying 6,000, and you are showing him a check made out to him for 4,500, and you both know that amt. is fair for everyone....he will take it or leave it. If he says no....give him your phone number and tell him to call you if any deals open up on that vehicle....then walk out the door!! See what happens.

It's like taking your credit card or check book to Vegas......you just don't do it. If you like to gamble, you take what you are willing to loose, a number that you can loose.......and still live, and be happy with. If you get out with nothing.....you had fun. If you come out with more..........there you go. You win either way.

The LAST thing I am is easy on my bike.

Got a 2001 bike with 2000 miles on it. Paid 3K. Replaced the plastic, got a slip-on, and it was shiny new:

newbike9qv.jpg

Then I started riding it. After putting 2000 miles on it off-road in 3 months, it doesn't look so new anymore. :cry: Wiped out twice at over 30 mph -- tore off a shroud first time, dented the can the next -- which was an okay was to discover just how tough the bike and I are. (The bike is alot tougher.) No way to ride desert singletrack with all the branches and catii you run up against and still keep the bike nice looking. And the only way I learn how to ride faster, turn tighter, climb bigger rocky, rutted hills, and slide around harder in the dirt is by losing the bike every now and then (OK, lots and lots and lots).

Now my scratched up fenders and side panels and my dented Yosh remind me of all the good times I've had. At this point, I can't imagine having a new looking bike out on the trails. It just don't seem right. And the next bike I get, I'll do the same. Make it pretty, then beat the shit out of it. What's a dirt bike for? :bonk: When I want to see pretty, shiny bikes in an indoor setting, I just hop down to the dealer and look at them for free!

bikeold9lf.jpg

(Is this a hijack or what?? :cry:

:applause: Exactly, i dont see paying the extra money for a new bike when you can buy a bike off some other guy who babys it and keeps it all clean and perfect for me for a year or 2 before i get it from them. I look forward to buying bikes off people like Ovrrdrive and Twistin. So thanks guys for keeping your bikes so well kept and clean.

Someone mentioned earlier about calling around. That is good advice b/c some dealerships will be much more likely to negotiate than others.

Another option is to check out cycletrader online or the magazine. You can quickly find the dealerships that offer competitive pricing in cycletrader. If you find the bike you want at a great price (but the dealership offering the deal is too far to drive), take the cycletrader ad with you to your local dealer and ask them to match the price. Also, it helps to have a price from a dealership that is within a few hours drive, b/c your local dealership will know you are not likely to drive across five states to buy a bike.

Someone mentioned earlier about calling around. That is good advice b/c some dealerships will be much more likely to negotiate than others.

Another option is to check out cycletrader online or the magazine. You can quickly find the dealerships that offer competitive pricing in cycletrader. If you find the bike you want at a great price (but the dealership offering the deal is too far to drive), take the cycletrader ad with you to your local dealer and ask them to match the price. Also, it helps to have a price from a dealership that is within a few hours drive, b/c your local dealership will know you are not likely to drive across five states to buy a bike.

I was actually at a dealership checking out a CRF50 for my son 2 yrs ago. I asked them the price and they said $1800 OTD. I told them that sounded higher than I was expecting and that I was going to go around and price other dealers. They said here use our phone and call around. They actually gave me the #'s to other dealers. I was thinking, Wow, they have to either be bottom dollar on this thing or really, really dumb. Well the first dealer that I callled said "I have 3 sitting here and I will take $1250 OTD for one today".

Guess what I did........

Its very possible they are giving you the bike for $100 dealer cost. The more expensive the bike the more free play with money off dealers have. You cant expect to get $100 off of a ttr50 because dealers generally only get a $50 mark up on those.

I work at a dealership at the parts counter like i previously posted and if you just ask like someone previously stated you can get stuff for free sometimes.

#1 Figure out how much you're comfortable paying BEFORE you go in. Tell the sales person up front and be prepared for the salesman to look cross-eyed at you.

#2 Don't vary much on price and be prepared to walk out. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by ending negotiations. Just be polite about it......

#3 Always discuss the OTD or "out the door price". You don't want to pay Freight, set-up, and prep or what ever extra $ fees they may try to tack on.

when i bought my KXF back in september we got it for 5 grand..this is a 2006..dealer price is 5200..the dealer is my dads best friend though..he basically family to us..and he gave it to us for 5 grand because he also sponsors me and all that..but i think the MSRP on a new KXF is like..5900? i think?..i might be wrong..but thats a pretty big chunk off msrp..these dealers get them for ALOT cheaper then what they say..when they say.."oo well i cant go that low" bull..they are just greedy

I was actually at a dealership checking out a CRF50 for my son 2 yrs ago. I asked them the price and they said $1800 OTD. I told them that sounded higher than I was expecting and that I was going to go around and price other dealers. They said here use our phone and call around. They actually gave me the #'s to other dealers. I was thinking, Wow, they have to either be bottom dollar on this thing or really, really dumb. Well the first dealer that I callled said "I have 3 sitting here and I will take $1250 OTD for one today".

Guess what I did........

I guaruntee they figured you would chicken out and not actually use their phone. That's a nice trick they tried to pull on you. I bet 90% of the people they use that on, don't call around and buy the bike from them.

Here is what I did to get my bikes and it worked like a charm.

First know what bike you want (sounds like you do). Figure out how far you are willing to drive for a deal. ONLY talk OTD (out the door) pricing. Go to your local dealer and talk to a salesman to see what they will do, but do not buy from them right away. It's always good to buy locally if you can. Go home and call all of the dealers within a reasonable driving range and tell them exactly what you want to buy, your time frame for getting them, and how you plan on paying for them (works better if you buy the bikes out right). Also tell them you plan on spending "X" amount on gear/parts and are looking for a deal on that as well. DO NOT go into the other dealers in person, only call them over the phone (get the persons name you speak with). They will try very hard to get you to come in as they don't like dealing over the phone because they know you are just going to call all of the dealers. Then give your local dealer a chance to match the best offer you have before you go buy the bikes.

If you are also looking for deals on the gear, check some prices on the net so you know the dealer is competitive. You don't want him to offer you 15% off gear and then find out he charges 30% more than everyone else. I would not nickle and dime him, but at least check out the expensive items like boots, helmets, pants, etc.

I would say a good deal is about $200 over cost with no freight and setup charges. The dealership is in business to make money and he should certainly be allowed to make a few hundred bucks on a bike. I typically will not negotiate too much on a bike if I know the price is around $200-$300 over dealer cost. As long as they do not add freight and setup I am usually cool with paying the salesman his lunch for the month. He does have to make a living.