Talking down the dealer?

I would say a good deal is about $200 over cost with no freight and setup charges. The dealership is in business to make money and he should certainly be allowed to make a few hundred bucks on a bike. I typically will not negotiate too much on a bike if I know the price is around $200-$300 over dealer cost. As long as they do not add freight and setup I am usually cool with paying the salesman his lunch for the month. He does have to make a living.

I totally agree but everyone around here seems to have a different "dealer cost".

My thoughts are because of their overhead. :applause::bonk:

The last few bikes that I have bought have been from hole-in-the-wall mom and pop dealers. Like I said before, I have been called a outright LIAR when I told some dealers around here a OTD price for them to match.

Everyone else has given you good tips.

As for the used bikes I also prefer that method.

My current bike is 5 years old and is having the engine rebuilt being bored out with Ferra valves and basically everything on the bike is aftermarket. I'd much rather have it than a new bike that is stock.

AMEN Bro!

...Bikes are no different really, except in price. Unless you got the "good buddy hook-up", or you are a well sponsored racer, or you are buying two or more bikes, or you got blackmail on the dealer/salesman.......he is making money off of you, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be in the business of selling bikes/cars whatever!!

The trick with buying any vehicle is this: When you walk through the door, have your check or bankroll in your pocket with the (reasonable) dollar amount that you want the vehicle for. Have your homework done before you go there and know the "right price" for the vehicle and what you are going to pay for it. If he is saying 6,000, and you are showing him a check made out to him for 4,500, and you both know that amt. is fair for everyone....he will take it or leave it. If he says no....give him your phone number and tell him to call you if any deals open up on that vehicle....then walk out the door!! See what happens.

It's like taking your credit card or check book to Vegas......you just don't do it. If you like to gamble, you take what you are willing to loose, a number that you can loose.......and still live, and be happy with. If you get out with nothing.....you had fun. If you come out with more..........there you go. You win either way.

Damn good advice. Here's what I can add...I have never paid more than $300 over the cost of a car or bike. The way I know is this. When you go into a dealership, work your way from the bottom up, not the top down like most assume has to be done. On a new car or bike the dealer has what they paid for the car/bike. On a used one, they do too, but there are a few other costs associated that they do not necessarily write down, like when the grease monkey changed the oil and spark plugs. Anyways, ask to see the cost of the bike, tell them you'll pay $300 (or whatever you're willing to pay) over their cost and no setup fees since they would have to set the bike up anyways just to display it on their showroom floor. Never tell them you'll give them $500 below MSRP. MSRP is already an inflated price. Find out what they paid and tell them you'll give them a few hundred to pay off any commission involved and the price of their fluids they put in the bike.

Dealers make money in many other ways, not just off the sales of the new bikes...don't be afraid to be a salesman to them, cuz that's all they are too. I've bought 5 cars and 2 bikes this way. Trust me, it works. And it's always the one I wanted, never had to settle for another one. Oh and I got a $700 service thrown in for my most recent truck on top of that.

Oh, and I found out that for a new car or bike, they legally have to show you their cost if you ask, people just don't know to ask. :applause:

One other note of interest. Last week when I went to buy my son's new KLX110 I called around to get the bottom dollar price. The third dealer I called gave me the lowest price and I was calling others back a few days later to see if they would drop any. One that I called back said that they would match it and give me 10% off anything that I ever paid for from the store including service. I thought that was pretty good and they were 30 miles closer than the original bottom dollar dealer. I dropped by the next day on the way home and asked if they were ready to sell the bike because I was there with cash in hand to buy it. This same dealer had originally told me $2100 OTD and now I had talked him down to $1750 OTD. He started pulling out paperwork and said "Let me go and make sure that we can still do this price". He went to consult his manager and came back with a paper that said $1825. I asked him what had changed in a day and he said that this was the last one and I would not find any more around. I said "So you will not do $1750 OTD right now with cash"? He said no. I stood up and walked out fully expecting him to come after me or at least ask me to renegotiate but he did not do anything. I called the original low price dealer and asked if they still had the bike and would sell it for that price. They said sure. It was late so I asked them what time they closed and they told me just to come on and they would wait for me. I ended up getting it that night with no strings attached and felt really good about giving them my business in the end. I told my wife afterward that with all I went through at the other place I felt like giving them a tip for their great service. They have definitely won a repeat customer even if it does take longer to drive to them.

Man I never expected to get this many replies so soon! Thank you guys you really helped out a lot. I didn't know they had to show you the price they paid for a bike by law that is a really good thing to know. Well thanks again for all of your advice I will definitely feel a lot more confident when going to the dealer now. Oh a couple of more things out the door price does that include tax and license? After talking them down a lot on the bike do you still ask for them to throw stuff in like free boots or is that just asking too much?

Thanks,

Brian

Everyone needs to remember supply and demand. Your more than entitled to go in and try and negotiate the best deal possible. I don't like it when dealers are called "stealers" or accused of being dishonest. If you say 5k, and he says 5200 is the best he can do, then it's the best he can do. Take your business elsewhere. As long as they treat you with respect and honesty then they have done nothing wrong. I just had my new 200xc shipped to me from quite a distance away. I got a great price, but the main reason I went out of state is no one in norcal had the bike. I had made dealers match or beat other dealer prices as well. It's not personal, and to those making those kind of comments i'm guessing you don't run your own business.

Everyone needs to remember supply and demand. Your more than entitled to go in and try and negotiate the best deal possible. I don't like it when dealers are called "stealers" or accused of being dishonest. If you say 5k, and he says 5200 is the best he can do, then it's the best he can do. Take your business elsewhere. As long as they treat you with respect and honesty then they have done nothing wrong. I just had my new 200xc shipped to me from quite a distance away. I got a great price, but the main reason I went out of state is no one in norcal had the bike. I had made dealers match or beat other dealer prices as well. It's not personal, and to those making those kind of comments i'm guessing you don't run your own business.

My dealer will charge you whatever the price is on the Yamaha website plus tax and title and a $700 prep and shipping charge and if you don't like it you can drive the 100 miles to the next closest dealer.

Sounds like a stealer to me. :applause:

When you're talking about $200, that's no big deal at all. When you're talking about the $4000 i saved by ordering my bikes from Rock River Powersports and having them shipped to me, that is a major big deal.

You ask the dealers around here what the price of something is, they look it up in the book and quote you whatever it says, be it bikes or accessories.

My dealer will charge you whatever the price is on the Yamaha website plus tax and title and a $700 prep and shipping charge and if you don't like it you can drive the 100 miles to the next closest dealer.

Sounds like a stealer to me. :applause:

When you're talking about $200, that's no big deal at all. When you're talking about the $4000 i saved by ordering my bikes from Rock River Powersports and having them shipped to me, that is a major big deal.

You ask the dealers around here what the price of something is, they look it up in the book and quote you whatever it says, be it bikes or accessories.

Rock River Power Sports got my business on my 04 YZ 450, and they'll get it again!

I second Rock River.

Dirty

Exactly how the local dealer does it here.

I went to the dealer a few months ago and asked, "What's the best deal you can make on your 05 YZ250".

He then proceeds to walk over to some book and quotes MSRP.

Unbelievable....

Needless to say I walked out.

Man I never expected to get this many replies so soon! Thank you guys you really helped out a lot. I didn't know they had to show you the price they paid for a bike by law that is a really good thing to know. Well thanks again for all of your advice I will definitely feel a lot more confident when going to the dealer now. Oh a couple of more things out the door price does that include tax and license? After talking them down a lot on the bike do you still ask for them to throw stuff in like free boots or is that just asking too much?

Thanks,

Brian

Remember they only have to show you on new ones...but they will tell you things like..."What? We don't have that paperwork." "Do you know how many we buy at a time, where would I find this individual bike?" All kinds of excuses, but the truth is...it's all electronically entered into computers more than one place and they can show you a hard copy, or an electronic copy...and an organized dealer will show you them to you. The last car dealer I bought my truck from turned the computer around and finally said..."look at that number, we didn't even break even on our own oil we put in the car." That's when I shook his hand and said he had a deal.

Out the door (OTD) includes tax, license, and everything. That is the final price of the vehicle.

If you get a really good deal, it is doubtful they'll throw something else in last minute. But like someone else said...it's always worth asking. I tried to get a factory CD player thrown in last minute on a brand new Jeep a few years back and after the deal I got...the guy laughed out loud at me me. (I had already gotten an aftermarket wheel and tire package, $1200 alarm, hardtop instead of soft top, and a better speaker setup for $275 over dealer cost. They said I stole the car, and thank god they were in it for units sold that weekend and not dollars.) I did that when I was 20 years old. :bonk::applause: Makes me laugh. So basically, just don't press your luck.

Raven, those days of smoozing up the dealer are finally over in Northern California; hip, hip, hooray. I cannot stand all that BS that you mention and still face possibility that someone else can walk away with an even better deal. I want to get the same low cost fair price that everyone else gets and deal with a shop that is happy for my business. We now have several dealers that have expanded their range from Southern California into the Bay area. These are San Mateo Yamaha and San Leandro Honda/Kawi. Actual dealer names are something along lines of blah blah Motosport blah blah. Just phone them up or check the Cycle Trader and you will get the same very good price that everyone else gets. You will also get 10% off on all parts and acces forever. How does $1599. OTD for 05 CRF80 or $2199. OTD for TTR125L sound. These were just too attractive for me to pass up. No need to think about Canadian or Oregon deals anymore. Just one of the joys of being a grandfather.

This is too fun. I took a price on an 05 TE 450 that was posted on the net here in Washington, added $150.00 to it and my state tax here in Ca. Added the Ca green sticker fee and walked in. Told the dealer that is what I was willing to pay for it in cash that day. Had the money already transfered to my account at my bank. He looked at it (it was $125.00 over his listed price without tax or setup). The dealer came back two minutes later and said the deal was good. He started the paperwork, I returned to my bank and 1 hour later I was pushing a new, 05 out the door. ?

Go in with confidence. BTW, a little secret. The Japanese dealers all make money on every bike sold at the end of the year from the manufactures. :applause: Plus, twice a year, Honda discounts bikes another $200 under what dealers pay for them. ? If you buy bikes from the same dealer and establish a repore with him/her, you can probably get that deal when it happens. :bonk: Dont forget to ask for 20% off on parts for your first year too. Its all doable if they want your sale. 10% minimum or you walk. Steny

The piece o' crap hondamasuki dealer near me charges MSRP + freight and setup on all of their bikes. They don't budge on anything. I don't know how they stay in business? Well yeah I do, there's a sucker born every minute. I'd never purchase anything from them. Not even oil. PM me if you want to know the dealers name.

when i bought my KXF back in september we got it for 5 grand..this is a 2006..dealer price is 5200..the dealer is my dads best friend though..he basically family to us..and he gave it to us for 5 grand because he also sponsors me and all that..but i think the MSRP on a new KXF is like..5900? i think?..i might be wrong..but thats a pretty big chunk off msrp..these dealers get them for ALOT cheaper then what they say..when they say.."oo well i cant go that low" bull..they are just greedy

Greedy you say. When a guy works all day at a dealership, to buy a home, feed his children, ie live, how is working and selling a bike and making a couple hundred bucks greedy, I call it making a living. I'm all about negotiations and finding the price that works for me, but I certainly understand someone making aliving.

The piece o' crap hondamasuki dealer near me charges MSRP + freight and setup on all of their bikes. They don't budge on anything. I don't know how they stay in business? Well yeah I do, there's a sucker born every minute. I'd never purchase anything from them. Not even oil. PM me if you want to know the dealers name.

Sounds like every Harley Davidson dealer in America. :applause:

What's amazing is that they get away with it! Just like the place you're talking about.

When I buy a new vehicle I keep a couple things in mind. 1) I'm the customer. I have the power to decide yes or no. 2) I know what the vehicle is worth. 3) I know what I'm willing to spend and/or finance.

I travel to different dealers until I find one that 1) Treats me like a customer. 2) Shows me the invoice 3) Can meet or exceed the financing I've already arranged.

Then I buy the car/truck/motorcycle.

NEVER say how much you want to spend. NEVER say how much of a payment you can afford. NEVER let them add any "hidden charges". The OTD price IS THE FINAL Price.

ALWAYS be prepared to walk. It's your money. All you have to say is "I'm sorry. I'm not willing to pay that much" - and leave.