Sign in to follow this  

TM33 report

I got a used TM33 from Mr. velosapiens for Brent for Christmas. Very good fellow to deal with. Any way since its been warm here we got the carb on and gave it a little test. It is noticably better than the CV carb with the DJ kit. CV was dialed pretty darn good but can't match the response the pumper has. At low rpms in any gear it gets into the meat of the power band much quicker. Mid range has quicker and stronger response. It it running a little lean right now, but we live at 2600 ft. and it'sin the 40s. We'll get the jetting dialed if we need to next spring.

Thanks for all the info here and thanks again to velosapiens for being so good to work with. :applause:

I got a used TM33 from Mr. velosapiens for Brent for Christmas. Very good fellow to deal with. Any way since its been warm here we got the carb on and gave it a little test. It is noticably better than the CV carb with the DJ kit. CV was dialed pretty darn good but can't match the response the pumper has. At low rpms in any gear it gets into the meat of the power band much quicker. Mid range has quicker and stronger response. It it running a little lean right now, but we live at 2600 ft. and it'sin the 40s. We'll get the jetting dialed if we need to next spring.

Thanks for all the info here and thanks again to velosapiens for being so good to work with. :applause:

That's great news! :bonk:

Where did you get the carb and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,

Karl G.

Must not of made myself clear. I bought it used from a fellow on this site. We cleaned and inspected it and bolted it on. Nice improvement.

Must not of made myself clear. I bought it used from a fellow on this site. We cleaned and inspected it and bolted it on. Nice improvement.

I'm just new to the group, please forgive me. That's excellent about the carb! I like hearing success stories.

Thanks for the report... I've been wondering how the dyno kit stacks against the TM33 :applause:

What are the carb settings? I just got the carb, installed it, seems to be running lean. When you snap the throttle it wants to stall then backfires on deceleration. Thanks! Bryan

has anyone heard anything about a keihn 35mm, suppose to perform better than the tm33 (which i have)?

What are the carb settings? I just got the carb, installed it, seems to be running lean. When you snap the throttle it wants to stall then backfires on deceleration. Thanks! Bryan

My carby was pre-tuned by FourStrokeWorks before sending it to me.

According to one of my older posts they set it up like this...

(KLX250)

Pilot: 42.5

Main: 142.5

Clip position: 3rd washer

Fuel screw: 1.5 turns out

Also note: it was tuned with mods in mind (open air box, crank breather and aftermarket exhaust+header), and it runs perfectly.

has anyone heard anything about a keihn 35mm, suppose to perform better than the tm33 (which i have)?

The FCR35mm, Mik 33mm, and Mik 36mm will all work well on the KLX, but the Keihin is, as some call it, the cadillac of pumpers for the KLX. It comes with a learning curve, but from what I've seen, it is killer for the KLX once (if) you get it dialed in. I've got mine completely dialed now. The FCR is the only carb that Jerry Leighton at FSW currently recommends and wants to sell for the KLX right now.

I'm glad Mmaxed has his dialed in. I've ridden 33mm Mik's and didn't really see much if any improvement over an excellently tuned DJ equipped CVK. Since they weren't my bike, I can't speak for their jetting - just my seat of the pants reaction to the 33mmMik.

Been away from the computer for a few days. If memory serves the jetting that myall posted is exactly what's in Brents. Not totally sure about the clip position. On this bike it is definately much stronger than the stock carb with DJ kit. I may not be the best tuner but it was dialed pretty good before.

Now brent is waiting not so patiently for a package with another used go fast part to arrive.

Now brent is waiting not so patiently for a package with another used go fast part to arrive.

:thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup::eek::p You can never get enough go fast parts!!!! I think any properly tuned pumper will have a more "connected" feel and be more snappy - especially off the bottom - than the CVK. The day I rode the Mik33 was in the wide open dez and a full throttles, they seemed pretty similar. Plus, I'm not sure how good the jetting was on the 33.

I ride a lot of single-track, so I got the TM33. It is perfect for my type of riding, I installed the carb and a full exhaust system at the same time and was very pleased with the results. The exhaust and carb seemed to fill the gaps in the powerband, as well as give that wonderful connected feel between the throttle and the rear tire. I have no experience with the other carbs, but I believe the 33 to be perfect for me, much better low end power and better roll on, Much more responsive in general. I rarely ride at WOT. I also noticed an improved top end but I can't tell if it is just from the exhaust or if the carb helped at all. Also, the Mik is extremely simple to jet, this summer I went from properly running at sea level here in Houston, to Colorado at about 11,000 ft. I re-jetted in the parking lot in half an hour, went and rode. Luckily I got the jetting right the first time and I never fouled a plug, although it did seem slightly rich. Oh yea, Hot Starts are a pumper carbed four strokes best friend.