Sign in to follow this  

question about the eTrex Legend

I got one for X-mas, but can you take it home after a ride and print off where you went? If not what one does that? Should I keep it or upgrade? I have read a lot of post about GPS and I really don't want to spend extra money, but I will if you people think I need to..Thanks

Look on Garmins web site to be sure but I thought the Legend could do that. I Use a Foretrex attached to my handle bars and love that thing.

I got one for X-mas, but can you take it home after a ride and print off where you went? If not what one does that? Should I keep it or upgrade? I have read a lot of post about GPS and I really don't want to spend extra money, but I will if you people think I need to..Thanks

you need some kind of mapping program. i use national geographic Topo!. it'll download your track and display it on their topo maps (which are excellent resolution, btw). you can also draw routes on the map and upload them to your gps.

you can get all the topo maps for an individual state for $100-ish, which includes the 1:24k maps. those maps are almost too detailed for big dirtbike rides, tho they work great for hiking, mtn biking, etc... I usually end up using the 1:100k maps for dirtbike maps. you can get the national geographic 1:100k maps for the whole country (and the topo! program) for like $50, which seems like a killer deal to me.

i'm really happy with my etrex legend, but i haven't tried any of the superfancy gps's. i usually just clip mine to my camelbak shoulder-strap. most rides i don't look at it, but occasionally i'll upload a particular route and i'll double check the gps at intersections to make sure i'm going the right way. MUCH faster than trying to read a map. i usually don't even have to stop rolling to verify a turn and get on my way again.

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/state.cfm (state series).

http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=347&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=347 (1:100K maps for whole country)

Go to Cycoactives web site and get the handlebar mount. I keep the Legend on the navigation screen which shows the floating compass, arrow back to camp, distance to camp, trip miles, and elevation. When we are low on gas or daylight, I can make a straight line course back to the truck. The only upgrade I would consider is the Legend C or color. Slightly bigger screen in color and better battery life. Its about $70.00 more though.

you can get the national geographic 1:100k maps for the whole country (and the topo! program) for like $50, which seems like a killer deal to me.

I was looking at that set tonight. National Geographic Backroads, or something like that, with national Topo maps and 3D. $49.99.

I should get it, huh?

I got mapping software for my Magellan and it is awesome. Has the whole US topo. You can download all your waypoints from the "backtrack" feature and display them on your home computer on the topo maps (even can get a 3-D view, plus a display that shows vertical elevation changes). Before a trip you download the area into the memory of the GPS. even shows things like roads, hotels, resturants etc. in the towns.

Check the website of the manufacturer and I'll sure you'll find the correct software.

I would also say if your display is not color, trade it in for a color version. Mine is not color, and I wish I had spent the extra money. It can be hard to tell roads from contour lines from rivers etc. etc. The color ones would be much easier to read and you'd be able to decipher the map much more quickly.

you need some kind of mapping program. i use national geographic Topo!. it'll download your track and display it on their topo maps (which are excellent resolution, btw). you can also draw routes on the map and upload them to your gps.

you can get all the topo maps for an individual state for $100-ish, which includes the 1:24k maps. those maps are almost too detailed for big dirtbike rides, tho they work great for hiking, mtn biking, etc... I usually end up using the 1:100k maps for dirtbike maps. you can get the national geographic 1:100k maps for the whole country (and the topo! program) for like $50, which seems like a killer deal to me.

i'm really happy with my etrex legend, but i haven't tried any of the superfancy gps's. i usually just clip mine to my camelbak shoulder-strap. most rides i don't look at it, but occasionally i'll upload a particular route and i'll double check the gps at intersections to make sure i'm going the right way. MUCH faster than trying to read a map. i usually don't even have to stop rolling to verify a turn and get on my way again.

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/state.cfm (state series).

http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=347&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=347 (1:100K maps for whole country)

So can i download these State Topo maps to my Legend or do i have to put them on my computer and then make routes and then put them on my Legend. I am very new to GPS's i really don't a whole alot about them. I am also trying to find out which map or maps to put on my Legend.

You need to install the software on your PC... Garmin Mapsource is the name of there mapping software. Then you need to connect your GPS to the PC. You then can download "areas" to the GPS.. You won't be able to download the entire map due to memory size. You can go on your PC and map out a trip or route and then send that to your GPS and when you ride you just follow the course you set..