Sign in to follow this  

05' CRF450R chain length

I recently sold my XR400 and bought an 05' CRF450R. I am going with a 51T rear sprocket. Can anyone tell me what chain length I need? :applause:

Don't forget to get an X-ring and you will basically forget about adjusting the thing. Mine has been great. :applause:

Just order a 120 length chain. Set your wheel in the middle of the adjusters and then if you want to go up or down one tooth you can still use the same chain.

Why a 51 tooth? That is way low for the 450. That things is going to be a short shifting tractor with the 51.
I ran a 52 on my 04 for technical trail riding and liked it a lot, there were times when I wouldn't have minded going a little lower even. You definitely give up top end speed but it's an MX tranny, you can't have both, and with the stock gearing 1st is *way* too high for slow technical trails. JMHO.

Redbeard, your right it will be a short shifting tractor. I don't race mx with the bike. Western Washington State has alot of very tight wooded terrain, so the stock 48T is just to tall.

I went to a 52 tooth a month after I bought mine but I am getting a 51 tooth next week to see if I can get more power to the ground and less wheel spin. :applause:

I went to a 52 tooth a month after I bought mine but I am getting a 51 tooth next week to see if I can get more power to the ground and less wheel spin. :applause:

I think your avatar explains perfectly what the bike will feel like with that low of gearing.

Why not get the X for tight trail riding? What's the gearing like on the X's?

I think your avatar explains perfectly what the bike will feel like with that low of gearing.

Especially with my overbore and hotcam. :applause:

I went with a 51 on my r because i do alot of trail riding and hill climbing.I spend alot more time in 3rd and 4th then i used to which is fine and i also have that granny low 1st for tight stuff.I hate stalling and and i dont have to use the clutch as much.