Need some info on Santa Ana

I posted awhile back about moving to SLO, but it looks like that fell thru. Now it looks like it is going to be Santa Ana.. Anyone give me opinions on the area. My wife will be working as a traveling nurse at one of the hospitals there. Is there and good riding around the area..

Santa Ana is about as far south as you can go in L.A. County. It's right on the border of Orange County, which has zero off-road areas, public or private. There are also a number of areas of Santa Ana that are gang infested. There are nice parts to live in, but you'll be a good distance from anywhere to ride.

Yeah but the great part about being in Southern California is your about an hour to an hour and a half away from anything. An hour from the mountains, an hour from the beach, an hour from the desert etc... Most cities in Southern California don't have any riding, public or private available. But all within 1.5 hours you can be riding some really great areas!

I dont mind a bit of a drive. I was just wondering about the area. I know one thing we will be close to the Anaheim races!!

Yeah, you'll be really close!

There is a ton or riding within 1-2 hours from Orange County. You won't be dissapointed with the riding in So Cal. As for Santa Ana, I would probably thing twice about living there. There are some nice areas, but there are some really bad areas as well. The good thing is you are close to a bunch of nice areas to live from Irvine going south. I would be happy to show you around the area or to any of the riding areas as well. I live in Tustin and work in Santa Ana.

I dont mind a bit of a drive. I was just wondering about the area. I know one thing we will be close to the Anaheim races!!
Plan on it. Even though there are a number of good riding areas and tracks in SoCal, they are a good drive from populated areas like Santa Ana. Another thing to consider is the cost of living here. A decent house in Santa Ana or nearby will cost you upwards of $450,000, probably more. A one bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood will be anywhere from $850-1250 a month. Gas, electricity and groceries are probably more expensive than what you're used to, as well. On the plus side, the weather is great, the beaches, the mountains, the skiing, and the riding are abundant and relatively close. There's never a dull moment unless you want there to be. :applause:

This is the thing, we dont pay rent, we get a food allowance, utilities are paid for us..

I may be a stay home dad.

Basically I a professional food stamper...

Just joking... My wife is a traveling nurse... Her company pays for everything.. I just play!!

Santa Ana is right smack in the middle of OC. Santa Ana the county seat for Orange County, its definitely not in LA County.

Otherwise CycleWriter is pretty much correct. Do you know if the provided housing will be in Santa Ana for sure or maybe a neighboring city?

While SLO has Pozo close by, OC really has more locations to ride within a 2 hour drive.

I'll echo SoCA_DRZ. Santa Ana is a fine place to work, you just don't really want to live there. I work in Santa Ana and live in Irvine (renting an apt with my girlfriend). Santa Ana is central Orange County, so you can really live anywhere in the OC and easily get to work. If you don't mind commuting you could live inland (Corona, Norco, Riverside) where it is a lot cheaper. The commute is painful, though, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're already used to commuting.

Buying a house in Orange County sucks. I've been waiting for 6 years for this damn housing market to crash, and it still seems to have legs. As an FYI, if you're looking for a large house with 3-car garage and big yard (maybe RV parking), you'll probably want an older property in a city like Orange, Yorba Linda, or Anaheim. Those are the cities I'm keeping an eye on for a house once I'm ready to take the plunge.

No I am not planning on buying a house... I dont care about the housing market this is basically a high dollar temp job. They normally last 13 weeks with options for extending it at the end of that time. We are checking out the country and figured we would start in Cali... I am not sure were the apartment is yet, but I will keep you posted..

Thanks,

I would shy away from any temporary housing in Santa Ana unless its a Residence in or something similar. Stay in a bordering city, Irvine, Foothill Ranch, lake Forrest. Or...learn some spanish.

Just joking... My wife is a traveling nurse... Her company pays for everything.. I just play!!

Hummm, my wife is an RN can you talk her into taking one of these jobs!

On the serious side, stay out of Santa Ana. Sorry to hear the SLO thing didn't work out, it is MUCH nicer up that way.

Santa Ana is right smack in the middle of OC. Santa Ana the county seat for Orange County, its definitely not in LA County.

You're right, Santa Ana is in Orange County. I don't know why I don't connect the two. Maybe because Santa Ana makes me think of gangs and slums, and Orange County makes me think of high-dollar homes and businesses. I guess every county in CA has its bad area. :applause:

I would shy away from any temporary housing in Santa Ana unless its a Residence in or something similar. Stay in a bordering city, Irvine, Foothill Ranch, lake Forrest. Or...learn some spanish.
Or how to duck! :bonk::applause:
You're right, Santa Ana is in Orange County. I don't know why I don't connect the two. Maybe because Santa Ana makes me think of gangs and slums, and Orange County makes me think of high-dollar homes and businesses. I guess every county in CA has its bad area. :applause:

The center of OC is mostly kinda shitty. The nice areas make a ring around it. :bonk:

if you don't like big urban areas stay far away from santa ana. it and the surrounding area are the definition of urban sprawl, nothing but freeways and buildings. on the other hand you will be in socal which is the center of all things off road for the US.

personally I don't care for southern california.

Try living in fountain Valley,Costa Mesa,Tustin, or Irvine

They are right next to Santa ana

Much better living conditions No bulletproof vest needed

The center of OC is mostly kinda shitty. The nice areas make a ring around it. :bonk:
Kinda describes my rectum. :cry::applause: