Sign in to follow this  

cleaning a powervalve

yup. Just not yours! :bonk:

good idea... i'll use my brother's :applause:

thanks for the replies, i've never done this before, and i didnt know if carb or brake cleaner would hurt anything.

Tommy

I just cleaned mine and they were a pain in the butt!!! If they have a lot of carbon a toothbrush isn't going to do anything. I used a brass brush to get some off. I was told I could have it bead blasted to get the carbon off, but I used some fine sad paper to knock of some of the carbon. It took a lot of scrubbing but it finally came clean. Mine were so carbonized that the PV was stuck open. I bought the bike used and I am guessing the guy never cleaned them.

What I used when I had a two smoke, was oven cleaner. You are probably saying, what?

I got the idea from Eric Gorr's book, it works good for cylinder heads/combustion chambers as well. What you do is lay out some news papers, outside is preferred(well ventilated area) and spray the carbonated area(s). Let soak for about 5-10 minutes no more, the rinse in some warm water/dish soap solution. Rinse it really well and let it dry or air dry it. The hotter the water the better for drying. It will look as good as new, if you are not going to finish the rebuild that day, it is recommended to coat it in two cycle oil or assembly lube.

i used gun bore cleaner ( gunslick ) on my kx worked pretty good . also have used out grill cleaner, liquid woolite hand washing fabric cleaner , simple green and orange hand soap . all worked ok , but you just can't beat a good old solvent tank.

i used brake cleaner a couple days ago and it worked great. it broke apart the hard pieces of carbon and washed them away. I think brake cleaner is the same thing as carb cleaner.

i used brake cleaner a couple days ago and it worked great. it broke apart the hard pieces of carbon and washed them away. I think brake cleaner is the same thing as carb cleaner.

no, they are 2 different solvents

i used started fluid (the kind you spray in the carbs to get old cars running)on my dads bike cause the guy at napa down the road from where i live says that carb cleaner leaves a residue. i dont know if this is correct but its just what he told me. also the starter fluid was cheaper.