Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Files - Bob Hannah

Don't know how many of you caught this yesterday on the Speed Channel but it was my first time seeing any of The Motocross Files profiles. Pretty decent show I must say. Bob came across as pretty cocky as I am sure he is. Jeff Stanton was quoted as saying "Bob would tell you to your face he was going to kick your ass on the track and then proceed to do just that."

The show brought back quite a bit of memories for me and also something I forgot. I took this picture at a National in I think 1977 and didn't remember all these years later until I saw it on TV that this was actually Bob's Factory Yamaha hauler this was posted on. You could see this poster in the background of one of the photos on the TV yesterday. The guy had confidence to spare but he was a hell of racer.

Question.jpg

I have seen all of them so far. And I think this one with Hannah was the most entertaining. Oh.. and the one with Decoster was good also. I think I will buy the DVD set when it is available. :applause:

i thought they were soo cool too, an hour show would really be a hit! i love watching them. why was it on bobs yamaha trailer? did he put it there? or did someone put it there messing with him?

interesting stuff, makes me wish i had of been around back in the day to witness some of this.

thanks for the pic!!

edit: which one of the guys had a speedbag with someones pic behind it? was it RJ with hannahs pic or vise versa?

I downloaded it earlier and wow, what a great show! It was definantly worth watching. The only sad thing was that He doesn't even own or ride dirt bikes for fun any more. Almost like he did it "just for the money".. and not for the love of the sport.

I downloaded it earlier and wow, what a great show! It was definantly worth watching. The only sad thing was that He doesn't even own or ride dirt bikes for fun any more. Almost like he did it "just for the money".. and not for the love of the sport.

&%$#@!? There's plenty of stories out there of him having bikes to go goofing off on.

Bob is good friends with Eddie Cole (former Answer owner and now owns 661) and they do ride a little together. (Bob also is a 661 spokesman)

A friend of mine in AZ bought a 426 that Hannah owned several years ago, but it had very little time on it. Last I knew from Eddie the only bike Hannah actually owned was a clapped out IT250 for trail bashing & dog chasing. :applause:

DeCoster mentioned the speed bag on the show about him.

banana.jpg

Hannah was always a character

Leaky.jpg

I see a few racers like him now, but the pansies are bitching about them. it makes racing interesting, afterall, what are they going to say about you when you don't ride anymore?

He said one thing that hit home, he worked at jobs that we older guys can relate to. Kids these days don't even know what it is to work(okay, riding is work for them, but in order for us to ride, we had to work).

I Tivo'd the Bob Hannah Motocross Files, it was excellent.... I don't think he's too cocky at all. I loved the story on his races with Kent Howerton, he hated the guy.... I like the fact that Bob was his own guy and didn't care what people thought of him.... :applause:

Hannah then and now puts the antics of JS and Alessi into perspective. People get so excited about these two, but we can see they are pretty tame at their worst compared to their forefathers, to whom a good T-bone was a entirely valid technique for somebody in the way. :bonk:

Hansen in the lite heats in BC showed he was not above sending a guy off the course.

What is very refreshing about Hannah is his total honesty. The real effect of all this "good behavior" in front of the camera---thanks to my sponsers, my team, my mom, god etc., is that we know NOTHING about these guys real personalites. Instead we get generic BS scripted for a good example to our youth. JS is growing up: he's learning to be a politician, like the master RC.

To make matters worse, the real battlefield is now called the "lite" class, and we have to wait a week to see the race---after we already know who won and what happened.

The annoucing is being dumbed down as well. Denny is often reminded, he says, that he is now speaking to a wider audience, who don't know much, so he's supposed to be carefull not to talk too technical, in case they don't understand.

Stupid Stupid Stupid. What the big wigs don't know is that people are intregued and gain interest when exposed to the sublties of sport. They are bored by simplistic commentary.

I wish Hannah would call the supercross. Then we would learn something, and be very entertained as well. :applause:

I was always a big fan of Marty Smith and can remember Bob Hannah beating him a few times. I heard they did not like each other but never heard Marty's name mentioned during Bob's story. Does anyone know if there was indeed a "riff" between Marty and Bob...or did I get the story wrong way back when. I'll end wuth this...Bob Hannah was a classy "take no shit" competetor, and even though he rode for Yamaha when he beat Marty...He was way cool. :applause:

I was always a big fan of Marty Smith and can remember Bob Hannah beating him a few times. I heard they did not like each other but never heard Marty's name mentioned during Bob's story. Does anyone know if there was indeed a "riff" between Marty and Bob...or did I get the story wrong way back when. I'll end wuth this...Bob Hannah was a classy "take no shit" competetor, and even though he rode for Yamaha when he beat Marty...He was way cool. :applause:

If you watched the show about Marty Smith you would know. Marty says that the tension is still there. That even when they are in the same room nower days he feels it.

I love what RJ said at the end of the show, "Bob Hannah made being arrogant cool." Hannah was cocky to no end, but he backed every bit of it up on the track. There were very few rides on the track he liked, to him they were all the enemy. Any rider that takes a large pay cut to prove a point says a lot about a persons character.

If you watched the show about Marty Smith you would know. Marty says that the tension is still there. That even when they are in the same room nower days he feels it.

I love what RJ said at the end of the show, "Bob Hannah made being arrogant cool." Hannah was cocky to no end, but he backed every bit of it up on the track. There were very few rides on the track he liked, to him they were all the enemy. Any rider that takes a large pay cut to prove a point says a lot about a persons character.

I missed that one...I hope Speed will re-run it.

someone mentioned they downloaded it. Where did you download it from?

I missed that one...I hope Speed will re-run it.

It was just like all the rest OUTSTANDING! :applause::bonk:

At least with Hannah you know where you stand. If he thinks you're a jerk, he calls you a jerk. If the bike stunk he said the bike stunk. It should be ok to be cocky if you are the best at something. I was a big Hannah fan when I was a kid. At that time he was the greatest motocrosser that ever lived. He is a big reason why motocrossers can make a decent living today.

Hannah was one of those guys that seemed like the bike never intimidated him in the least, He'd just hold it wide open and steer it around the track, he was amazing. I watched him at the Seattle supercross in 82', I don't remember exactly how the race went down, but he fell a couple times and came from dead last at least 2 times into the lead and kept it pinned no matter if he was leading or following, although he didn't follow too many people for too long during races. He was good and he knew it, and he wanted everyone else to know it too, ala the cockiness.