Sign in to follow this  

I Have To Prove My Dad Wrong! Wheel Technology Question...

So, I was talking about wheels, when my dad mentions, soon they will make motocross bikes with magnesium cast wheels... :bonk:

So I question his theory he saying they don't do it currently firstly becuase of cost and secondly the PRO teams do not use becuase of the fact no-oine has designed any yet. He says magnesium cast wheels are the future?

Are they? :applause:

They have used magnesium in car wheels for awhile now, my friend is considering them for his RX-8. I dont know about bikes though

I wasn't asking that, I was asking, why do people use spoked wheels in motocross bikes and not magnesium wheels if they are supposed to be so good?

A cast wheel would never stand up to the abuse of a dirt bike. They would break in half. - A guy put some sportbike wheels on a motard and uses it only for street riding because others have used sportbike wheels and they just don't hold up. - If anything but spokes were any better, we would already be seeing it. Spokes can take a ton of abuse and absorb the impact. A cast wheel has no flexible properties and would simply cave under the pressure. Go tell you dad to jump a CRF450 on a big double with a cast wheel and get the ambulance ready :applause: j/k

Yes I said that, about the flexibility, but he said, "compare a road bike wheel coming down full force to a motocross bike", "the motocross bike wheel lands on softer mud and dirt as the road wheel lands on tarmac, but does it break?" More weight on the road bike aswell...

I wasn't asking that, I was asking, why do people use spoked wheels in motocross bikes and not magnesium wheels if they are supposed to be so good?

They are developing a carbon-fibre "mag" wheel for use in supermoto. The main trouble they are having with them is that they are cracking all the time. My opinion is that they are just not strong enough.

Aluminum rims & steel spokes are lighter; but more importantly - much, much stronger. An aluminum rim will bend. A cast wheel will break. Many street bikes had them back in the '80s, (some still do today) but they were (are) hard to keep balanced and you couldn't (can't) true them like spoked wheels.

Maico, Bultaco, and Ossa had Akront try to design Magnesium wheels for MX bikes back in the late '70s. They failed miserably in testing. There was even a test rider on an Ossa killed when the front wheel exploded on impact from a jump at a test track in Spain.

Tell your Dad...Been there, done that. But please do it respectfully. I'm a Dad myself.

As others have mentioned, cast wheels will NEVER hold up on a dirt bike. Spokes allow the rim to flex and absorb some of the energy that isn't taken up by the suspension.

Magnesium wheels are VERY dangerous. I thought the stopped making mag wheels years ago because fire departments refused to get near burning cars that had them. Magnesium burns extremely hot.

Magnesium wheels on road race bikes need to be X-rayed every so often to determine if cracks are emerging. I'm talking about racing spec. wheels not the cast aluminum wheels that every stock sport bike has.

Anyone remember Motomags on the old Mongoose BMX bikes? For you youngin's, they were cast magnesium BMX wheels that looked like a spider's web. Yeah, they sucked. Ridiculously heavy and nearly impossible to true.

Magnesium wheels would actually be lighter than spoked wheels but as others have said it is a durability issue.

Flying dub mentioned the bmx days, i remember them well :bonk:

I had a Raleigh burner, they used Skyway wheels which if i remember rightly are a US company those were great wheels light as hell "for their day" and were made of plastic. Maybe plastic is the future :applause:

Yes I said that, about the flexibility, but he said, "compare a road bike wheel coming down full force to a motocross bike", "the motocross bike wheel lands on softer mud and dirt as the road wheel lands on tarmac, but does it break?" More weight on the road bike aswell...

&%$#@!? what is the road bike coming down from? a wheelie? if you took a road bike over a 60' tabletop, you'd break the whole ****ing bike in half! :applause:

spoked wheels are cheaper, just as light, plenty strong, and MUCH easier to replace the rim when you trash one.

There was a guy promoting his new spokeless wheel at the moto show. His business is in Vegas. If I find the post I'll get back to ya.

Good question. It really is all about flexibility. Dirt bike wheels have to be flexible (and can be) without major handling issues. If you put the extra speed, weight, and centrifugal force of say a Moto GP bike on a spoked wheel it would flex so bad as to be unrideable. Road bikes require the stiffness of cast or carbon fiber, dirt bikes require the flexibility of spokes.

Stones Custom Bikes 1866-9Stones $599.00 per

I met Josh from Stones at the Endurocross...that's some trick shit. He can design and cut nearly any design or logo you can think of into your wheels.

$1200 a set isn't too bad if you consider it comperable a pair of Talons and Excels...but also include a lifetime guarantee.