Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Needs Some Advice

I recently got the bug to buy a motocross bike. Its been quite a while since I had a motocross bike. Anyway I located a 97 RM250 for $1,500, looks pretty clean, has had several hundred dollars worth of maintenance on it recently and has about 50 hrs on it since the piston was replaced. Here are a few questions I have.

1 Does $1,500 seems like a deal ofr a clean 97' RM 250 or about the going price?

2 I live in California now, and I understand they have to get "green stickered". Is there any issue with getting this bike stickered?

3 Is the 97' RM250 prone to any specific problems or is there something I need to have checked out on it prior to buying it?

Thanks for any and all help.

I recently got the bug to buy a motocross bike. Its been quite a while since I had a motocross bike. Anyway I located a 97 RM250 for $1,500, looks pretty clean, has had several hundred dollars worth of maintenance on it recently and has about 50 hrs on it since the piston was replaced. Here are a few questions I have.

1 Does $1,500 seems like a deal ofr a clean 97' RM 250 or about the going price?

2 I live in California now, and I understand they have to get "green stickered". Is there any issue with getting this bike stickered?

3 Is the 97' RM250 prone to any specific problems or is there something I need to have checked out on it prior to buying it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sounds like a pretty good deal if it had several thousand dollars in maintenance done to it. (I didn't even know it was possible to spend that much money in maintenance costs for a 2 stroke.) I would still offer the person a little less money. You never know.

There will be no problem getting a green sticker in California. All bikes 2002 and older will receive a green sticker.

Maybe you'll just a better response in the 9 year old clapped out pinger board.... :applause: ...just playing with ya.

Honestly though, most people here probably dont know much about the used value of a 9 year old pinger. Condition is going to play a huge part in a bike that old. The motor may be fresh, but the suspension and chasis may be clapped out. Green stickers are available on all bikes up to 2002. Im not sure anyone here is going to be able to give you a definite yes or no. Too many variables.

Decal kit doesn't fit. You could try and place it, but it is a lot different.

Lotsa great feedback.....thanks guys :bonk:

Dare I ask if a decal kit from a 01+ will fit with a few modifications on my 97?

Oh ya... you posted in the wrong forum. Your thread is associated with the Suzuki 2-Stroke forum. You are in the RM-Z 250 forum which is a 4-stroke bike. You will get better results with your 2-stroke related questions in the 2-stroke forum because more knowledgable people will hang out in the forums in which they are most associated with. Good luck on your bike. :applause:

My bad guys, sorry didn't realize it was the wrong forum....like I said I am a newbie :applause:

I wound up buying the bike for $1,200, I cleaned it up today and it seems like I got a decent deal on the bike.

Thanks for the advice, I will take my dumb-butt over to the 9 yr old pinger board now....

sounds like a good deal. Getting into thte sport for $1200 plus gear, you cant do much better than that. 1997 bikes are still good and are not that far surpassed in technology, especially in the 2-stroke world. You still have a competitive bike there. You definately have a better bike dollar for dollar than my 2006, at $7k. :applause::bonk::cry: