Sign in to follow this  

Palm Desert riding areas?

Any must see, I have to stop riding areas around Palm Desert. I am going to be there for the Weekend and already have the bike loaded

Or you could go to Thousand Palms and ride north of the 10 freeway. Take Monterey north to Varner Rd and hang a left. Follow varner and go past Ramon rd. Make your next right on Rio Del Sol and about 1/2 mile turn left by the power lines and park off one of the dirt roads. The riding is ok, deep sand and rocks, but its a little closer then sky valley.

Or if you want awesome riding, check out Ocotillo Wells. Its a little over an hour from P.D. but well worth it. Just take the 10 east to the 86 fwy and follow it down about 50 miles to the SR22 and hang a right.

Have fun.

Seeing you have a DRZ-S model and I assume are street legal, you can ride Red Canyon. It's on the South side of the freeway at Chiraco Summit. Awesome scenery and nice twisty jeep roads with some washes and hills. The trails are well marked. Check a AAA map and it shows the start of the trail, but it goes all the way through to the Bradshaw trail at the edge of the bombing range (don't go in there) :applause: Gas available at Chiraco SUmmit exit off the 10 freeway...this is where we usually stage from. Then you can ride up in to Joshua tree north side of freeway, if you didn't get enough riding on the south side.

Trust me, this is dualsport riding at it's finest. Ocotillo wells is not that fun on a DRZ-S but Red Canyon is.

Seeing you have a DRZ-S model and I assume are street legal, you can ride Red Canyon. It's on the South side of the freeway at Chiraco Summit. Awesome scenery and nice twisty jeep roads with some washes and hills. The trails are well marked. Check a AAA map and it shows the start of the trail, but it goes all the way through to the Bradshaw trail at the edge of the bombing range (don't go in there) :cry: Gas available at Chiraco SUmmit exit off the 10 freeway...this is where we usually stage from. Then you can ride up in to Joshua tree north side of freeway, if you didn't get enough riding on the south side.

Trust me, this is dualsport riding at it's finest. Ocotillo wells is not that fun on a DRZ-S but Red Canyon is.

Excellent advice! Red Canyon is one of my favorite. You can ride in to the Canyon as well though not all the way. The walls are prob 300' and close enough together you can barely get a pickup through. There is a good place to turn around where the wilderness line starts.

You can also ride Big and Little Edom off Date Palm ave. Cool Canyons in there.

With DS you can also ride Berdu Canyon another one of my favorites. It takes you from Dilon RD in Indio to Geology tour RD in the Joshua Tree National Pk. This is another very tall narrow canyon, and rocky in spots. There is a spot where trying to make one of the switchbacks with my truck, I barely had 1" on the front and 1" in the rear of clearance. Off course my buddy in his Tacoma had no prob. BUT who cares about trucks, this is an awesome DS ride.

This weekend there might me some snow, but it will for sure be wet up in Santa Rosa Mt. So that may be a good place as well if you like the wet muddy stuff. I know I DO! :bonk: Got to love Dual Sport bikes!

I will be out there this weekend PM if you want to go for a ride. :applause: