Sign in to follow this  

please help here

over time does a 4 stroke cost more than a 2 if i buy a 2006 250f how long will it last [hours]with good care and a beginner on it and is it ok to switch from a 2 to a 4 i've heard that if u do u will be used to be in the high r.p.m and hold that gear longer and over time could hurt it.

over time does a 4 stroke cost more than a 2 if i buy a 2006 250f how long will it last [hours]with good care and a beginner on it and is it ok to switch from a 2 to a 4 i've heard that if u do u will be used to be in the high r.p.m and hold that gear longer and over time could hurt it.

Switching from a 2- to a 4-stroke does require some adjusting of your riding style, but it will hardly be enough to cause you to shorten the life of your new bike. The biggest adjustment is in not needing to feather the clutch or shift as much, and getting used to the engine compression braking. Any bike will cost more to own if you abuse it, more so for a 4-stroke since failures can be very expensive to fix. But a well-maintained 4-stroke should provide good service life, especially with a beginner/intermediate rider who does not race. If you're really concerned about service life, stick with Yamaha as their 4-strokes have proven to be very reliable. :applause:

Cyclewriter pretty much covered it except his opinion on engine life is a very subjective one, ask 10 people on the best engine you will get 15 different answers. The widely accepted bullet proof engine is on the XR almost as old as time itself but just as reliable, not saying yams are not reliable at all, far from it infact but pretty much all modern thumpers hold up well if they have the proper maintenance. The biggest diffeence between a 2 and a 4 stroke is that the 4's deliver lots of power low down in the revs so there is no need to rev hard on them to get power :applause:

Cyclewriter pretty much covered it except his opinion on engine life is a very subjective one, ask 10 people on the best engine you will get 15 different answers. The widely accepted bullet proof engine is on the XR almost as old as time itself but just as reliable, not saying yams are not reliable at all, far from it infact but pretty much all modern thumpers hold up well if they have the proper maintenance. The biggest diffeence between a 2 and a 4 stroke is that the 4's deliver lots of power low down in the revs so there is no need to rev hard on them to get power :applause:

Dude, you are so right. In my recommendation I mistakenly looked at it from a high-performance 4-stroke point of view since he asked about a 250F. Indeed, the XRs are bulletproof and Yamaha's TTR line and Suzuki's DRZ have a solid reputation, as well, even if they're not in the same class as the high-performance racing 4-strokes now offered. As you stated, the secret to longevity in any engine is proper maintenance. :bonk:

I think Cyclewriter and cardiffdrz

pretty much covered it, i agree with them both

If you asked 10 people wouldn't you get....10 answers? LOL sorry I couldn't resist. Ok I'll go away now.

deej

Never stand-up in a canoe. :bonk:

that is some of the best advice i have heard. :applause:

My friends don't see how I do it, but I'm better on a 125 than a 250F. It's a personal thing though. In my case, a four stroke is just an unnecesarry risk expense wise. i know my motor would go because I rev the piss out of four strokes when I ride them. IMO you only NEED a four stroke if you race and aren't competetive on a two stroke anymore. Just My 2 cents. Plus if you have a fast 125 Like a KTM or a modded jap bike and you know how to keep it on the pipe, the bike has just as much power as a four stroke.

A 2T will cost less to maintain over a long time.