Sign in to follow this  

Got my SM510R today. Pics attached

I received the bike today and it says 1h and 15min on the speedo. I notticed though some bad things. The headlight although not that bad, it points too much on the ground and I can not lift it up although I played with the screw. It is top but still points on the ground too much:( Anyone else notticed that?

Does anyone know what I need to pay attention to when I do the first 3h service? What do I have to do accept from changing the oil and filter, checking all the bolts and screws?

On the headlight thing. On my 450 there was this short piece of rubber tubing on the adjusting screw. When I tried to adjust the headlight to where it wasn't pointing onto the fender the allen screw seemed to bottom out. I removed the allen screw and the rubber bit and trimed off about an 1/8 inch of the tubing and reinstalled. Then I was able to adjust the headlight to where it actually pointed down the road.

I had a different problem, mine was pointing to the sky!!

managed to fix it before I read your reply Nielly. You were right though.. I cut about half of the rubber tube and now it is fine. Personally I do not find the SM510R headlight as bad as I have read in past. I find it ok for not extremely fast riding during the night... After all during the night we should drive more slowly and carefully;)

I'm in a process of making a dual headlight donated from a Buell XB9R work on my Husky so that I have better hallway vision.

Let me know how that go's. I collected another kangaroo recently at night. I have been looking for a half decent light that will mean I can ride if there isn't street lights. Will the smr have enough power to run Buell lights?

I asked my mechanic and he said that the Husky can run an Acerbis cyclops headlight DOT 55w Halogen. He only told me that you need to put a relay between the headlight switch and the bulb because the extra current will burn the switch. The 610sm has different switch contacts. Or you can change to the 610 switch. The choice is up to you. My SM510r has fine headlight if you adjust it properly. At least to my eyes. I have a 91 KDX 200 as well and that one had probably the crappiest headlight ever in the history of motorcycle production. Maybe that's why I find the 510 headlight fine. Maybe I became a owl from riding that KDX and don't need much light :applause:

I had a different problem, mine was pointing to the sky!!

You need the light to spot those un-illuminated UFO's!!! :applause: