Sign in to follow this  

How to quiet a 2005 YZ 250F

I own a few acres in a small community (2 - 4 acre lots) and built a small MX track. My 2005 YZ 250F is stock and echos throughout the neighborhood. I'd like to quiet it down a bit and am looking for you guys to give me some advice. I'll sacrifice a little bit of performance for less noise. I've heard I should look to purchase a used stock WR250F exhaust. Thoughts, comments?

Matters how much money you want to spend. The 2005 WR250 is aluminum and once the inner baffle is drilled out, the power is reasondable. Plus you can get one pretty cheap on TT or eBay. Your other option is to buy an aftermarket exhaust which will cost a little more. The FMF Q, Pro Circuit 496, White Brothers E2, Yoshimura w/TEC quiet insert, DMC Quiet, and Big Gun w/ Vortex Q insert are all good options. I'm sure there are others too. All of these will take away a little power, but it is worth it being quiet.

It depends how quiet you want/need to be. The FMF Q will definitely bring the bike down from that stock silencer's potential obnoxious crackling to still very noticeable bark, which is headed in the right direction, of course. But, keep in mind that it will not quiet your bike to the level of a lawn tractor or ATV sound level.

I saw in the FMF catalog that they sell a Euro spec Q series silencer. I asked the guy about it and he mumbled something but didn't really give me a very good answer. Perhaps, this particular muffler is the reply to those CRD silencers, which claim some really low numbers.

Anyways, back to your application. I would suggest the stock WR exhaust, but I don't have any comments on what to expect for performance. Or, run something like a FMF PowerCore4 and make your own REALLY Quiet Core. With the PC4, you can pull the quiet plug if you went moto racing. Or, also the PMB and Dr D endcaps might be good options as well.

A few other things to keep in mind, is the "when" to ride. Don't choose those nice quiet calm evenings in early spring when there are no leaves on the trees and everybody's out for a walk, etc. Sound seems to travel forever in those conditions. Don't ride too long at one time, yadda-yadda.

The other thing, is go meet your neighbors and bud up to them so they have a positive image of you. Tell them that if they think you are too loud, that they should feel free to say so. Just acknowledging that you MIGHT be offensive, is sometimes all that it takes to get the "permission" to noise up the neighborhood for a reasonable time period. Creates that "Yeah, his bike is little loud once in a while, but he's a nice guy, so I don't care"

My kids and I used to ride a LOT right behind our house years ago when they were youngsters, and we never had a problem with it. One time, I asked my neighbors if my sons were too loud. "Oh noooo problem at all, we're hoping YOU won't complain about our screechey girls!!"

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't locate a used WR 250F muffler so I went with a PMB-YZF250-SAins - spark arrestor replacement endcap and Silent Insert from cyclebuy .com.

The other thing, is go meet your neighbors and bud up to them so they have a positive image of you. Tell them that if they think you are too loud, that they should feel free to say so. Just acknowledging that you MIGHT be offensive, is sometimes all that it takes to get the "permission" to noise up the neighborhood for a reasonable time period. Creates that "Yeah, his bike is little loud once in a while, but he's a nice guy, so I don't care"

Wait, could this actually be good common sense posted on the internet?!?!?!? 2006 is off to a weird start!!! :applause: