Sign in to follow this  

Considering a CRF

I currently ride a '03 DRZ400E. I primarily do trail riding. But, I'm interested in getting a new bike with less weight - and more power - hopefully equalling more fun. To really lose much weight, I probably need to go to a race bike, and am considering the CRF450R.

Any thoughts on this? Any one ride the R in mountains - single track very much? Would this be a good trail bike? I know the X would be a great trail bike, but I don't save much in the weight category over the DRZ.

I also ride with my kids quite a bit, which means slower riding. Any problems on a hot day, with the R overheating?

The main reason I bought the 450x was because of the larger radiator capacity I came off a great running 96 CR 250 that had steel clutch plates,flywheel weight,and low gearing I could take the CR anywhere but it would get hot sometimes in the summer time in tight trails (I weigh about 260 without gear) I wish I could of afforded to keep the Cr and the 450x but I couldnt.Anyway I am happy with my 450x I dont notice the weight the only thing I notice is that it is taller than my Cr.Last year I also had a KTM 400 mxc that had less than 10 miles on it when I bought it and had less than 60 miles on it when I sold it that bike and I just didnt get alongand we didnt fit together it was a slug! All I can say is get out and test ride a 450 x and a 450 r and see which one fits your needs better in the end all that matters is how well the bike handles and how you handle the bike weight isnt that much of a factor on a good handling machine and as for power you will get plenty out of both models.

I'm 6'0" 145 and the weight is no issue for me. Once you rejet and put a new pipe on the X it's a whole differen't bike.

I recently purchased an 06 CRF450R. On my third ride I went to a local riding area (Clear Creek). I rode lots of single track and the bike handled it very well. Can't comment on overheating as there was still ice puddles in the area.

Also just went on my first ride with my son CRF70. I rode all day in 1st and some second gear with no overheating. All things aside I find this bike is freak'n powerful and great to ride in all sorts of conditions.

My CRF450 is the best bike I've ever ridden period. MX, trails, desert...it does it all exceptionally well. The power is forgiving and incredibly smooth, but massive in and of itself.

Don't hesitate on the purchase

I am absolutely in love with my CRF-R but if you mostly ride with your kids then you should give a good look at the CRF-X. I do have a lot of trouble with mine overheating if I idle long at all helping the kids up a hill or whatever. I love the power of mine and lightweight but I am really considering swapping to a CRF-X because of the kids. I want to ride someones before I do to see what the power difference is.

I have an 05 CRF450R that I use exclusively as a woods bike. I was concerned about the overheating problem too after reading about so many people experiencing overheating. I don't know if Honda fixed the problem in 05 but, I have never over heated the bike. I have had it in some really nasty tight stuff as well as up some big hill climbs and nothing.

If you are really concerned about overheating (like I was) you can add a coolant tank which will help with the having to constantly refill your radiator if you do boil over. I bought the Honda OEM coolant tank for an 05 X model and installed it on my R. It works great, but if you run a skid plate you might have to modify your skid plate mounting. I had some tabs welded on my Flatland plate so I could mount it up to the threaded holes in the side of the frame.

Good luck on your decision!

If you are really concerned about overheating (like I was) you can add a coolant tank which will help with the having to constantly refill your radiator if you do boil over. I bought the Honda OEM coolant tank for an 05 X model and installed it on my R. It works great, but if you run a skid plate you might have to modify your skid plate mounting. I had some tabs welded on my Flatland plate so I could mount it up to the threaded holes in the side of the frame.

Good luck on your decision!

I need to try that trick because I love my CRF-R.

I want to ride someones before I do to see what the power difference is.

Make sure you ride a properly jetted and piped one, it really makes a difference from stock!

Make sure you ride a properly jetted and piped one, it really makes a difference from stock!

That will be the problem. I have not run across a stock one yet to ride much less a uncorked model.

My CRF450 is the best bike I've ever ridden period. MX, trails, desert...it does it all exceptionally well. The power is forgiving and incredibly smooth, but massive in and of itself.

Don't hesitate on the purchase

I couldn't agree more. my 05 crf 450r is bad ass. Bone stock with the exception of some new footpegs (thanks honey) it rips. I live in the antelope valley and ride a lot of desert and single track. Never has overheated. GET ONE YOU WILL LOVE IT.

I went from a DRZ400E to the 450X. It will not be anything like your DRZ. It will feel lighter and have a lot more power. I rode the R a little before I made the switch and that bike has even more hit to it and feels even lighter. You will regret giving up your magic button.... I went with the X because I felt more comfortable on it compared to the R and it seemed more forgiving than the R. Just my 2 cents, some may feel different but the transition from the DRZ to the X was easy and I have no regrets. Again, the e-start was also a big factor for me.