Sign in to follow this  

06 NETRA 96 DB Requirement

Now what? Got my 05 running great and I must kill the power with a 96 DB silencer to race in NETRA. I'm all for quiet bikes but this bike will run like dog that quiet, any ideas. I have a Q silencer now and it it's not very peppy for the nasty New England nasty rocks and roots with it's terrible throttle response. An XR-200 has more bottom than my 450 with the Q-(cork) to quote a popular regular on this site. Maybe Dave at MRD can help me out. Bike must be 96 DB at a 45 degree angle at half throttle 20" away, yea, right. Maybe a KTM silencer would work, they are quiet and kick ass. Maybe this is a good problem to have, I'll make it quieter, we all will soon, to save the sport I love.

throttlejockey is 100% correct. Power really doesn't mean much of anything. I love passing you guys on your big bores.... :applause:

The easiest/cheapest way to pass a sound test is to put a Pro Moto Billet end cap with a silent insert on your stock pipe.

That's what most of us do out here in California if riding an off road area that does sound testing.

Still have your stock pipe?

I know a little bit about NETRA, I won my class this year on a 2stroke, and I will use the power of the bike, or what's left. How's it run with the insert? The Q is aweful, maybe with a Power-Bomb and some time re-jetting I'll dig it.

What class and what series, enduro or HS?

When I had my 450 I used the PMB with the silent insert and it got it down to 96db, if anything you gain low end but lose some on top.On my 250 I'm using the same setup and it works better with the insert in for low end. I actually lke it better with it in and hate it w/o it, especially when it's tight and snotty.

The additional restriction of the Q pipe should in effect give you more torque off the bottom end. My bike doesn't seem to have lost anything off the bottom with the Q and a powerbomb, and I doubt it's the powerbomb responsible for the difference between our bikes.

I'd try re-jetting the bike first. My Q series only seems to affect the very top end of the power curve. In fact the bike will still wheelie up with a crack of the wrist through the first four gears, even when geared to the moon for longer road race tracks (and with a wide-ratio tranny). Check your set-up first, the pipe works as good as can be expected provided it's dialed in properly.

We have had a real test in our local area. In order to keep our local road racing track we've had to institute a sound level of 86-88db to keep the neighbors happy. While everyone moaned and bitched about going back to stock pipes and the loss of power they felt it would bring, the few guys who just took it in stride went out and set new lap records. Now we're going faster than ever, the neighbors are happy and you can hear the track announcer from any spot on the track or in the pits. Oh and did I mention we get to keep the track!! :applause::bonk::cry::cry:

96 db at 45 deg. from 20 inches at 1/2 throttle , :bonk: a stock X pipe might pass :applause: are you sure its 1/2 throttle ? not a set RPM like 4000

First I've heard of a plugged pipe giving more low end, but I'll try jetting to get there, now it just flames out and pukes. I won NETRA Super Senior Hare Scrambles series this year on a YZ-250 2 smoker that I also MX'ed, racing it on the ice now. See u at the banquet. Hey Dave, I mispoke, NETRA is using SAE J1287 at a 96 dbA limit, aka the AMA sound test, which as u know is stationary bike and engine held at half of maximum rpm, the sound meter is held 20'' from the tailpipe at a 45 degree angle. Glad u other guys are keeping your track open with quiet bikes, that's exactly what my D34 MX area needs to do, every year we fight to keep racing, lawsuits, etc. Talk about loud bikes u can't believe how loud a stock 450 is on the ice. Was chasing my buddy last week and I still can't hear. Nothing to absorb the sound I guess. We'll soon all be on quiet bikes and the sooner the better. Happy New Year and thanx for the responses, I won't give up, happy ridin! :applause:

First I've heard of a plugged pipe giving more low end, but I'll try jetting to get there, now it just flames out and pukes. I won NETRA Super Senior Hare Scrambles series this year on a YZ-250 2 smoker that I also MX'ed, racing it on the ice now. See u at the banquet. Hey Dave, I mispoke, NETRA is using SAE J1287 at a 96 dbA limit, aka the AMA sound test, which as u know is stationary bike and engine held at half of maximum rpm, the sound meter is held 20'' from the tailpipe at a 45 degree angle. Glad u other guys are keeping your track open with quiet bikes, that's exactly what my D34 MX area needs to do, every year we fight to keep racing, lawsuits, etc. Talk about loud bikes u can't believe how loud a stock 450 is on the ice. Was chasing my buddy last week and I still can't hear. Nothing to absorb the sound I guess. We'll soon all be on quiet bikes and the sooner the better. Happy New Year and thanx for the responses, I won't give up, happy ridin! :applause:

yea ,I thought you were just exaggerating with the 1/2 throttle , I figured they were using the AMA sound test , it would be tough to make that limit without giving up some HP , I probably wont make the banquet so congrats and have a cold one for me :bonk:

Hey Dave, I'll have a couple cold ones, Happy New Year. We must talk about this quiet pipe thing, I'd love to have a quiet bike that runs as good as my buddies quiet KTM 400. Maybe you are there now with your insert, longer muffler, and low boy header, and close jetting for New England. If so I'm very interested and I'm diggin your warrantee.