Sign in to follow this  

Change the choke?

Hey:

I just got my new Clarke 3.9 on my '06 S and now, I cannot get the choke to stay on. This is a California bike if that matters.

Anybody have this problem when they went to the Clarke tank? Other than that, the tank is pretty sweet. Also, where did you guys stick the bleeder hose off the cap?...under the odo?

Hey:

I just got my new Clarke 3.9 on my '06 S and now, I cannot get the choke to stay on. This is a California bike if that matters.

Anybody have this problem when they went to the Clarke tank? Other than that, the tank is pretty sweet. Also, where did you guys stick the bleeder hose off the cap?...under the odo?

I had fitment issues with my Clarke 3.9 and choke clearance. Use a piece of high-density 3/8" or 1/2" foam as shim material (backpacker sleeping pad) cut to fit over the top tube. Velcro the foam in place and you will find your choke now works and the tank has a little extra padding. Worked for me :applause::bonk:

I have read this recommendation before. I didn't need to do it myself. Mine worked fine with just the stock rubber spacer. Ross, do you still have the stock spacer and this is in addition?

I have just been wondering because when I installed my Clarke I fabbed a spacer and tried it in 3 different spots. All to discover an hour later, and a little frustration, that I didn't seem to need it.

I didn't bother with a bleeder tube. No leakage yet, though admittedly it's probably not the best idea..

Sorry about the hijack. It's just been bugging the hell outta me and since it's come up......

My choke just, and only just, gets to the second notch. I was unaware of any fitment issues at at time and therefore didn't put any spacers in there except what was stock.

Maybe try rotating your carb a bit? Might give you the 1/2mm or so you need to get the choke out all the way.

This was a problem with my Clarke tank and FCR carb too. I eventually had to shorten the choke pull.

Not an FCR though it's an "S".

If the stock rubber is there he probably just needs to rotate the carb though. Back to the rubber or not question......

When I put on my 40mm kehin CVK ... It came with a choke cable and knob which I mounted to the handle bar ... It works good ... and no fiddlin with the knob under the tank. I'm mentioning this because I know you can do the same thing with the mikuni. Find some bike, ATV, snowmobile, etc ... with this set up that uses a mikuni carb. The choke assembly on all the mikunis that I have messed with are all the same ... so It should not be hard to come up with something that works. By the way ... I also have a clarke tank ... getting to the stock choke with this tank could be a real "PAIN"

I have read this recommendation before. I didn't need to do it myself. Mine worked fine with just the stock rubber spacer. Ross, do you still have the stock spacer and this is in addition?

I have just been wondering because when I installed my Clarke I fabbed a spacer and tried it in 3 different spots. All to discover an hour later, and a little frustration, that I didn't seem to need it.

I didn't bother with a bleeder tube. No leakage yet, though admittedly it's probably not the best idea..

Sorry about the hijack. It's just been bugging the hell outta me and since it's come up......

Doc...I think there is enough variation in component dimensions both on the bike and the tank that some need it and some don't. I just know I couldn't get choke or radiator cap clearance with the Clarke 3.9 on my 2000S until I shimmed the tank up a little. I covered the entire top tube with the foam spacer. Good luck :applause::bonk:

Thanks for the idea. I have some short segments of roll bar material that should do the trick for now. I like the idea of mounting a choke apparatus up around the key switch too. I will have to look into that. Thanks again,