Sign in to follow this  

to pipe or flywheel weight. That's the question.

I have a 05 YZ250 basically setup for woods. Ofcourse I need to tame it a littlebit for the tight stuff. I don't see gaining that much bottom with a pipe. Should I even spend the money there till I dent the pipe? I'm thinking flywheel weight will be my best purchase for lower torque and less snap. Do I even sound close? How about changing the sprocket size? Any advice there? Any advice on what flywhell weight to purchace if that's the way I go.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replys, Can you steer me in a "which one" direction?

Yamaha has one and steahly has one ofcourse. The local mechanic here says Yamaha's weight is made by steahly. What ounce? if I still might hit the track 20% of the time? The woods I ride are pretty tight. The rest of the time it's like Loretta Lynns or quad width.

Flywheel. I tried for 2 yrs. (in vain) to tame a YZ490 for the woods. A Pro Circuit pipe aimed at improving low end grunt helped moderately, but the John Deere tractor type flywheel did by far the most good.

Thanks for the replys, Can you steer me in a "which one" direction?

Yamaha has one and steahly has one ofcourse. The local mechanic here says Yamaha's weight is made by steahly. What ounce? if I still might hit the track 20% of the time? The woods I ride are pretty tight. The rest of the time it's like Loretta Lynns or quad width.

Call and talk with Chuck Steahly.. Not only is his product top notch, his help and service is also. He will talk him self out of a sale, if that is what is right for the rider...

very much appreciate it guys!

O.K. I did it. 9oz. Steahly flywheel weight.....

fwiw, they probably make several different weights for your bike. i also am using an mx bike (ktm 250sx) for dezert and enduro riding and racing. i didn't want to lose too much of the zippy motor so i went with a 6 oz weight at first. i ended up going up to a 10 oz weight a year later. it didn't seem to take away any of the fun part of the snappy power, just gave me better traction and took away some of the uncontrollable jerkiness. based on my experience, i would lean towards the heavy side for a flywheel weight. for comparison purposes, i am a 44 yr old midpack A racer, in excellent physical shape, and the 6 oz weight still left me looking for more control by the end of a 240 mile 2-day enduro.

i had an easy time selling the lighter one for 80% of what i paid for it (it's not like they wear out, and i sold the old weight with the hardware and packaging for the new one), so if it turns out you want heavier or lighter later on it's pretty cheap to switch.

very much appreciate it guys!

O.K. I did it. 9oz. Steahly flywheel weight.....

You will love it.

I raced an 05 yz250T this past year in NETRA and started with 13 OZ. FWW but was too much weight, turned it down on a lathe to about 9.5 OZ and loved it. Stock pipe is great and with V-Force reed block you'll get more over-rev. FMF Gnarly didn't turn me on, felt like less bottom than stocker, maybe it's a jetting thing. Thinking back all I would do again would be FWW and re-valve suspension and go up 2 on rear sprocket for tough single track. Great handling bike and reliable as a hammer.

I raced an 05 yz250T this past year in NETRA and started with 13 OZ. FWW but was too much weight, turned it down on a lathe to about 9.5 OZ and loved it. Stock pipe is great and with V-Force reed block you'll get more over-rev. FMF Gnarly didn't turn me on, felt like less bottom than stocker, maybe it's a jetting thing. Thinking back all I would do again would be FWW and re-valve suspension and go up 2 on rear sprocket for tough single track. Great handling bike and reliable as a hammer.

Thanks, I like to hear input from other owners. I had to sell my 01 250n, to pay some medical bills. I rode it in the woods and kept the 05 on the tracks. Now that I've promised my wife I'd TRY to stay off the tracks (due to five different surgerys) I want to turn the 05 into a woods eating , bull dozing terror. "Not that the rider will be!"

With that reed block, did you have to do any rejetting? What difference could you see in that?

I rode an '05 yz 250 for about a year in the woods and I did both of the mods that you suggested. I bought an FMF gnarly pipe for the bike and was kinda disappointed with the result. It did help the bottom end a little, but not as much as I hoped it would. I think that might be because Yamaha does a pretty good job on their stock pipe for bottom end. I bought both a 9oz and 11 oz steahly flywheel weight and tried them both. After using both, I settled on the 9oz. The 11oz weight seemed to slow the bike down just a little too much. I also geared my bike down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket which helped in the tight twisty stuff. I loved the bike for offroad and had a lot of fun on it. Those things handle awesome.

My 01 YZ 250 seemed to like the 11oz. Stealy weight. I now have the Gnarly pipe too. I like them both, but for the money i would do the flywheel weight. I think i will try a reed block next. I also hear some people using different cam wheels in the throttle. Supposed to tame it down by not opening the throttle so quickly.

I see that no one has mentioned the G2 Ergonomics throttle cam system yet. Along with the heavier flywheel it is the single best thing I have done to my bike to make it more manageable in the tight stuff. It allows you to have alot better throttle control by slowing down the initial throttle actuation and making things easier to control. I would imagine your bike has plenty of power just about everywhere but just needs to be managed more effectively. This will help alot. :applause:

Sam

Think Zip-Ty for the YZ flywheel weight as it comes with a 6, 8, and 10oz weight for the 05'YZ250. Change them for your specific conditions. Here's a link.

ZIP-TY YZ250 FWW

The YZ already has alot of low end..use the stock pipe until damaged. Think minus 1-2 teeth on the rear and G2 throttle cam.

My $0.02

I see that no one has mentioned the G2 Ergonomics throttle cam system yet. Along with the heavier flywheel it is the single best thing I have done to my bike to make it more manageable in the tight stuff. It allows you to have alot better throttle control by slowing down the initial throttle actuation and making things easier to control. I would imagine your bike has plenty of power just about everywhere but just needs to be managed more effectively.

Sam

Second on this.

My friend's 05 yz250 is a real handful even with the flywheel weight. The cammed G2 throttle could really help.

I see that no one has mentioned the G2 Ergonomics throttle cam system yet. Along with the heavier flywheel it is the single best thing I have done to my bike to make it more manageable in the tight stuff. It allows you to have alot better throttle control by slowing down the initial throttle actuation and making things easier to control. I would imagine your bike has plenty of power just about everywhere but just needs to be managed more effectively. This will help alot. :bonk:

Sam

Didn't you see the post above yours??? :applause:

I've got the 9 oz Steahly, V-Force 3, and an FMF Fatty. I didn't change any gearing at all and it works great in the mtns, very usable power. I take the Fatty off and put the stock back on the for the dez.