04 xr 250r

This is my first 4 stroke bike. I have always had 2 stroke bikes. My problem is when I am in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear and get in the high rpm range it wants to stall for a second or two then pick back up speed. This is when my 2 stroke bikes come alive and you better be holding on. It seems it does not want to rev all they way up to. Plus when I am in like 4th gear and go to 5th it stalls for a second then takes off. The bike is stock and it is brand new. Is this ok or should I be looking for something. Thanks.

You say this is a brand new bike?,I would take it back to the dealer immediately and ask them to be sure it was set up properly.if you want to trouble shoot it your self,start with the basics,air,fuel,spark,its got to be in one of those areas.when you do get it running right,be sure you gorden it out,I and this whole forum will swear by the gorden mods,they work!and they are free!

Most probably it's a minor glitch....like XR_Ron says...you can fix it yourself or if the bike is new...take it to the dealers :applause:

I assume you have properly broken the bike in before going the high rpm range :cry:

The problem you describe has to be either electrical or intake(carb/fuel/air filter).... Worse case scenario is electrical and it's a CDI failure..has happened before to my friends but it's very remote on a new bike :bonk:

good luck and you made the right choice with a 4 stroke and a better one with an XR :cry:

By the way...i'm also from 2 strokes MTX200,CR500, NSR250 and Aprilia RS250... sold all except for my first bike...the MTX200 :cry:

Yes the bike is brand new. I broke it in like every bike I have ever owned. I took it some what easy for about 10 miles then I let it rip.I belive in breaking them in the way you are going to ride them. Never had a problem before doing like that. I am thinking it is rich. It fouled the plug the first time I rode it. Just feels rich, but everyone says they come lean from the factory. Will have to look in to it. Maybe I will go back to the dealer. I still have my 04 cr250. I could not give it up. Just to much fun.

yeah if the plugs are fouling it must be rich....weird though since most of us have gone up on the MJ cos they were just to lean, stock :applause:

you're breakin-in procedure is scary bro...10 miles only :cry: damn...i ride at least 500km's before going beyond 40kmh at low revs

good to here that you're method has been successful though i'll never do it myself :bonk:

You still have you CR eh...i should've kep mine too but that bike just made me go near the edge too many times...had to let it go cos i'm also a dare devil...

Now coming up on 29 years of existence and half of them on bikes...falling off bikes are hurting more than it used to do :cry::cry:

Unfortunately,the XR is not going to have the throttle response of a 2 stroke. For best results,roll the throttle on rather than snapping it open, this will prevent the engine from grabbing a big gulp of air and hiccuping. Remove the intake baffle, remove the exhaust restrictor, pull the main jet to see what you have in it, with the bike uncorked you can go up 1-2 sizes from stock. Also check the air filter for overoiling that can cause slow air flow and possibly oil up the plug. Make sure that the plug is the correct one. Good luck and let us know how you come out on this.

The manual said for break in take easy for 15 miles then have fun. I have built a good many drag motors in my time. Most rings are going to be seated in the first 20 miles. Most say heat cycle them to cure the metal. Do you know how hot you would have to get the motor before the atoms start to spit so you could heat treat them. You would not be able to sit on the bike it would be so hot. Yeah I could not get rid of my cr. This is my 7th one. I got the xr so I could ride with my son. I just got him a crf70. I will try some of the things ya'll said and see what happens. Thanks.

Maybe you're bouncing off the rev limiter...I don't know the top allowed rpm, but I'm pretty sure it's well below your CR motor.

Checking the plug is the easiest thing to get a quick read of jetting. If you can bring it to the dealer, I'm lazy and would do that first actually. If it's a setup issue, they should fix it for free.

ya know I have a whopping 13.3 miles on my spankin new 04 XR250R and NO complaints at all. The magazine test article on the top of the page refers to the lil XR as a hard starter, "notorious hard starter" they say, whereas mine always lights off on the 2nd kick cold (full choke no gas) and 1 kick warm. Has not had a hickup one while riding, just plain fun and easy to ride. I have not wound it out...as 4 strokes do better short shifted - keep it busy - but not singin like a 2 smoke - don't lug either. My lil XR's power is deceiptful - you think it is down on the power when in fact I can fly thorugh the woods where I used to plonk along. If I taje BIG RED (XR650L) it will go where I want it to but always in 1st or 2nd gear and it is heavier of course ... anyhoo IMHO the lil XR is NOT a 2 stroke and I would think is not designed to operate in the upper RPM range like a 2 stroke - two different motors with completly different power delivery and ranges, I would not wind it up too much too long ... they can and will break.

ya know I have a whopping 13.3 miles on my spankin new 04 XR250R and NO complaints at all. The magazine test article on the top of the page refers to the lil XR as a hard starter, "notorious hard starter" they say, whereas mine always lights off on the 2nd kick cold (full choke no gas) and 1 kick warm. Has not had a hickup one while riding, just plain fun and easy to ride. I have not wound it out...as 4 strokes do better short shifted - keep it busy - but not singin like a 2 smoke - don't lug either. My lil XR's power is deceptive - you think it is down on the power when in fact I can fly through the woods where I used to plonk along. If I take BIG RED (XR650L) it will go where I want it to but always in 1st or 2nd gear and it is heavier of course ... anyhoo IMHO the lil XR is NOT a 2 stroke and I would think is not designed to operate in the upper RPM range like a 2 stroke - two different motors with completely different power delivery and ranges, I would not wind it up too much too long ... they can and will break.

This sounds to me like you are unfamiliar with how an XR250 is supposed to run. You need to short shift and roll on the gas rather than bounce the rev limiter and then full throttle with every shift. Try and find another XR250 owner you can change bikes with and discuss your thoughts. I also think you should go ahead with the Gordon's mods or whatever you will be doing. I never take any bikes back to the stealership for any reason. You are better off to resolve the situation without dealer interference.

ugh, me agree with oldturtle 100%.

I put a hotter plug in it and it runs great. It is a tad rich. Plus I think I am asking to much out of it. I guess I was trying to compare it to my CR. I am starting to get the feel for it. It seems to want to ride in the low rpm range. Where my CR wants to ride in the high rpm range. It is a great bike. I just like 2 stroke bikes, but like I said I can not ride with my son with my CR. I hate the damn dealer to. Thanks.