19" rear wheel on an XR200?

I heard something about putting a 19" rear wheel from an old XR250 (I think?) on a 200. I searched it but couldn't find it for anything. I'm not as interested in the extra inch of height as much as I am in finding a wheel that I can maybe get a Pirelli MT-16 to fit. Oh and my current tire says 100/100-17. I don't know anything about tire sizes, but I'm assuming I could mount a 100/100-18 tire?

Thanks in advance.

no u have to have the same size tire i trierd putting a 17 on my 16 frount tire and wont work

17 is the measure in inches of the rim diameter, so no, 16 or 18 won't fit. 100/100 or 100/110 is the width and height of the tire in cross section, measured in millimeters, I believe.

MR

QD, As the previous post stated you have to use the same size tire (16-16, 19-19 etc) as the rim, but I'm guessing you have already figured as much.

You may be able to fit a 19" on the rear of your bike but I have yet to hear of anyone that has done it.

IMO, It would offer little to no advantage for the amount of $$ and effort it would take. As others here have previously pointed out, the low sidewall could actually be to a disadvantage. :applause:

The post that you were referring to was probably the conversion with a 200 engine in a full size MX bike that came stock with a 19" rear. I don't recall who's it is but I think it was a Yamaha.

I have read here on TT that an early XR250 18" rear wheel will bolt up to the 200 but can't confirm that yet, as I am still looking for one myself so that I have a better selection of tires.

Its my 99 YZ 250 / XR 200 that has a 19 inch rear wheel.

I probly would prefer a 18 as I do some trails as well as the MX track

Oh okay. So what tires do you guys find best for rocks that will fit on my stock rear wheel? I want the hardest compound I can get.

I used the wheel off an 85 xr250. Now my xr200 has an 18" wheel and i love the difference it made. It's close enough in size that you can run stock gearing.

Oh okay. So what tires do you guys find best for rocks that will fit on my stock rear wheel? I want the hardest compound I can get.

Q/D,

Real hard compounds don't work well in rock, poor grip and the knobs will chunk (break) off..........even on a little XR200R! :bonk: Too soft not good either as they will wear fast.

Put a 100/100 X 17 IRC on, and when it gets worn you can afford to change it more often! Sharp edges rule...............a new cheaper tire is better than a worn high dollar tire! :applause: Old School Jeff proves this over and over in the ice and snow, mud, slick hard pack, and rocks with his Old School XR200R and a IRC 100/100 X 17 rear tire. :cry:

Old School Al

I used the wheel off an 85 xr250. Now my xr200 has an 18" wheel and i love the difference it made. It's close enough in size that you can run stock gearing.

If it's so close in size you can run stock gearing, what is this "difference" it made you speak of..............? :bonk::applause:

Old School Al

Q/D,

Real hard compounds don't work well in rock, poor grip and the knobs will chunk (break) off..........even on a little XR200R! :bonk: Too soft not good either as they will wear fast.

Put a 100/100 X 17 IRC on, and when it gets worn you can afford to change it more often! Sharp edges rule...............a new cheaper tire is better than a worn high dollar tire! :applause: Old School Jeff proves this over and over in the ice and snow, mud, slick hard pack, and rocks with his Old School XR200R and a IRC 100/100 X 17 rear tire. :cry:

Old School Al

I found an IRC VE-33 for $50 at my local Honda shop. Is that a good price? What do they usually run for? If it's a bit steep I wouldn't be suprised because it seems anything dirt bike related is more expensive in Colorado.

Yea, from a dealer that is an ok price. I think you can shop around on-line and get one cheaper but then there's shipping cost and having to wait for it. You should be happy with that tire, although it will wear fast if you don't make some kind of attempt to take care of it.

If it's so close in size you can run stock gearing, what is this "difference" it made you speak of..............?

Old School Al

It could be psychological but it feels like a smoother ride. Larger diameter more tire surface in contact with the ground. Less curve when rolling over stuff. I was also told that it was 100/100/18 has less sidewall than a 17 inch. So less tire flex. But i might just be feeling nothing at all. If you can, hook one of your old school bikes up with an 18 and see if your rider feels any difference. I'm new to the woods, but have been road racing for 8 years. Not that means i know what I'm talking about. Oh yeah, the 250 brake hub is magnesium and lighter than the stock 200. LOL If nothing else i can say i have a 200 with an 18" 250 rear wheel. Let me know how the experiment turns out. But then again, i did the 18" rear tire the same time I put a revalved adjustable shock on.

Well I went ahead and bought the dealer tire because they will mount it for free. Besides I need it for this weekend, and that wasn't gonna happen if I bought online.

So you say that this tire will wear really fast? Is that in normal conditions that it wears fast? If so I'm worried because I don't think my bike has seen soft dirt since I first bought it. Oh and how exactly can I make an attempt to take care of it, so that it doesn't wear so fast? Does that just mean no quick take-offs or wheels spins?

On my XR250 I got over a years use on a pos Cheng Shin tire that was really soft. I rode about twice a month. Tire life goes way up when the bike isnt spinning the tire much. I wish the same held true on my new bike :applause:.

I swapped the stock 17" rear wheel for an 18" and it seemed to work much better for me. The biggest improvement I felt was rolling over obstacles.

Oh and how exactly can I make an attempt to take care of it, so that it doesn't wear so fast? Does that just mean no quick take-offs or wheels spins?
That and just using some common sense, like not locking up the rear wheel to slide it sideways back into camp.

Not burning it up on asphalt or concrete.

Not screwing around tossing it sideways in gavel and stuff like that.

Just mentioned it because I seem to burn through these tires pretty quick so I try to make them last a little longer.

I haven't tried the Bridgestone or Maxxis 17" tires yet, but you mentioned wanting to use a Pirelli Mt-16? I don't know anything about that tire except I ran across one (4.00-17) listed on a foreign web site. Don't know what it works out to in metric size, but maybe someone else here has some idea. I think 100-100 is more like a 3.75.

I'm planning anyway on going to an 18" rear so that I have a better selection of tires. :applause:

Yeah I'm pretty easy on my tires anyway...It's the rocks that aren't.

Well I looked at Pirelli's site and they don't even make a tire for a 17" wheel. Then the mt32 is the only tire that would fit the 18". The only reason I wanted a Pirelli tire is because I heard a lot of good things from this site's review on it and also from other riders. It does seem like the 250 has a lot more options though, and seeing that this is my 3rd replacement rear tire since I have owned the bike (front is stock) I may look into that 250 wheel too. Heh...see ya on Ebay Karl..

The 17" Pirelli MT16 Garacross is here Pirellimoto.com I will PM you my eViLBaY name so we aren't bidding against each other on that 18. :applause: