Are there major differences in the last few year models?

Don't quote me, but 02 they dropped 8lbs off the engine. You will get all the answers you need on this question at ktmtalk.com. I've ridden a 99 300 exc and it is a great bike so I doubt anything newer than that will disapoint.

Bikes older than 2004 should be a bit more reliable due to a bigger and stronger piston (that's what I've been told). The newer models need more frequent replacements allthough the piston is cheaper for the new models due to...

grtz,

pHreaC

You want an 04 or newer because there were some major updates and it's way easier to jet. The bike weighs less and you feel it. Not sure about the reliability comments. Mine's got about 1200 miles on the stock piston and it's fast as hell.

You want an 04 or newer because there were some major updates and it's way easier to jet. The bike weighs less and you feel it. Not sure about the reliability comments. Mine's got about 1200 miles on the stock piston and it's fast as hell.

Do you know what kind of updates? A local dealer has an 03 200exc that's brand new, never ridden for $4500. That's a steal for a new KTM but the fact that it's been sitting for 3 years worries me.