Sign in to follow this  

Baja Fundraiser Trail Ride

Come join us for a weekend trail ride in baja last weekend of Feb.

Everyone is donating $60 to the Malcolm Smith orphanage (the one in Dust to Glory) and paying their own way--total cost about $250 for a two nights and two days of riding some of Baja's most famous trails.

We hope to raise $1000 for a great charity--have fun and get to know other TTers.

Space is limited to 20 riders. We have 10 so far committed.

See the International Forum at the bottom for LOTS more info.

We will have 3-4 Huskies--so for sure feel good about joining your brethren--but open to all bikes. If yer nice i'll let ya ride my Baja 1000 Te 510 :applause:

-Mike

Its a trip for all levels of riders. Its not a race. We will break into 'easy' group and 'more of a challenge' group for part of day 1. Most of the guys are 30's-40's and most have never been to baja - but always wanted to go. Its a charity thing--but also a fun ride, social event, and of course adventure.

we just had two guys cancel--so yes we can fit 2 more....although its getting late and you would have to get on it with the deposit and all that.

there are 4 Huskies going. Both guide and sweep will be on Husky!

send me a PM and please take the time to read the string on the international forum (very bottom of all the forums) about what to expect, costs, the goal of the trip, etc.

if you dont make this one--there has been considerable demand and i can see doing 2 (but not more) of these trips/year. another coming this summer. We should be able to raise $5000/yr for the kids!

-Mike

How you gonna ride a 2006 TE510 in this event when the first post in your recommended reading below says a bike with an 80 mile range is required? You are not going to get 80 miles out of a standard TE510 tank in Baja, and bigger tanks are not commonly available as yet.

The Baja organizers on this forum need to get their sh#t together.

How you gonna ride a 2006 TE510 in this event when the first post in your recommended reading below says a bike with an 80 mile range is required? You are not going to get 80 miles out of a standard TE510 tank in Baja, and bigger tanks are not commonly available as yet.

The Baja organizers on this forum need to get their sh#t together.

you need to lighten up man, your posts are generally so negative. :applause:

Clarke makes a big tank, seen it touched it could have bought it. BTW Mike and Steny ride Baja all the time, I'm sure they will figure out how to survive it, I'd bet money on it.

- edit, the gallon jugs on the belt trick works as well, as do the rear fender tanks, numberplate tanks etc. It can be done and is done all the time.

Rant over.

you need to lighten up man, your posts are generally so negative. :bonk:

Clarke makes a big tank, seen it touched it could have bought it. BTW Mike and Steny ride Baja all the time, I'm sure they will figure out how to survive it, I'd bet money on it.

- edit, the gallon jugs on the belt trick works as well, as do the rear fender tanks, numberplate tanks etc. It can be done and is done all the time.

Rant over.

:applause: How's that? I know I seem to be negative, it is my sarcastic sense of humor. You'll get used to it (I hope).

I am going to pass putting an 8LB gallon of gas on my belt, but hey, maybe I am a wuss.

The question is - is the rider responsible for an 80 mile range or not, and does the 80 miles assume no screwups?

Tmex-

You might want to edit your post.

And ya might want to assume less in life.

The '06 is our race bike. The '05 is the retired race bike that is now the trail bike/pre-runner.....and since your so sure of things....its got a 4 gallon tank on it. The range in Baja with that bike and tank is 110 miles.

Heres some more for ya--i know you are new to the Husky and all....

The '05 tank fits the '06 just fine. Ya simply move the kickstarter over a bit...or ya bolt on a '05 kickstarter. Our '06 race bike has one on it.

Finally--there are three large fuel tanks available for the TE. IMS, Clark, and a 5.5 gallon carbon fiber tank...you can also adapt the Baja Designs rear fuel tank from the KTM to the Husky....so there are 4 options for everyone riding a 2006 TE....also--you can carry up to 1 gallon of fuel in your backpack. An old baja trick. Dump it in after 20 miles. No big deal. Gives ya more than an 80 mile range.

Your post was wrong about so many things--and in a unnecessarily personal way.

Just FYI:

The organizer of the baja fundraiser has a masters of science from UC Davis. Is a retired corporate manager. Ran two factories on two continents with 250 workers--a $35 million dollar business unit at a $9.5 billion dollar multi-national...You dont get to that level without GREAT organizational skills.

Lay off the coffee. Stop spreading rumors. Edit your post. And a little apology would be nice.

-Mike

ps-consider riding with us-we can squeeze one more in.

pss-the organizer and the associates on the fundraiser are all former payed professional full time Baja Tour Guides. I personally have done about 50 payed motorcycle tours down there. Worked 2 season for Chris Haines (google it) as a guide. Also helped out a smaller organization as a sweep rider. Also--i've been riding baja for 34 years--and have raced over 20 big baja races....did i mention i own property in baja? Fluent in spanish. Grew up riding down there....get the picture?

Rumors? Next thing you know I'll be getting blamed for the bird flu.

If someone feels that I have attacked them personally, I certainly apologize for that, but I can assure that it has never been my intention.

Thanks for the invite, I am thinking about it if I am in the country.

The only Clark big tank I am aware of is a proto and there are only a couple of those - saw one advertised on eBay awhile back. Neither Clark nor IMS nor anyone else for that matter is selling a tank that they claim fits the 2006 510. A big tank is not a current option unless you want to cluge something which I do not just to do a ride.

If someone feels that I have attacked them personally, I certainly apologize for that, but I can assure that it has never been my intention.

"The Baja organizers on this forum need to get their sh#t together"

Seems personal to me.

The only Clark big tank I am aware of is a proto and there are only a couple of those - saw one advertised on eBay awhile back. Neither Clark nor IMS nor anyone else for that matter is selling a tank that they claim fits the 2006 510. A big tank is not a current option unless you want to cluge something which I do not just to do a ride.

Well i guess the one hanging on the wall at Bills Motorcycle Plus in Salem Oregon is a cardboard mock-up, sure looked real. Could be that Clarke is in Oregon and worked with Bill that he has an early version. Regardless Mike just gave you 4 options and your still arguing the point. This is kind of what i was talking about to begin with.

It really makes no difference to me I just thought your post was rude and out of line when someone is organizing a ride to benefit an orphanage. I hope Malcolm figures out how to make 80 miles down there but then again he will probably be on a KTM.

Just to be clear:

The ride is a fundraiser for a local orphanage in northern baja. Its in Valle de Trinidad--a little town right in the middle of all the baja race courses.

Its featured in "dust to glory"

The orphanage is sponsored in part by Malcolm Smith.

I had the chance to talk to Malcolm breifly about this ride--he was very enthusiastic. But sadly, he could not join us.

Ride--come ride with us. There is another guy from Oregon coming down...

I met Malcolm about 4 years ago at a 24hr torture test gig. Cool story (for me anyway)... I was there with a company I was working for and we were ripping up the course, we came in for a breather and I was adjusting the suspension on my 02 WR250 husky when someone walked up behind me and asked "how do you like that bike" I looked up and it was Malcolm. He started to introduce himself and I said "yes, I know who you are, the freaking god father of off road". We had a nice conversation, super nice guy. Actually made my weekend. Jeff Emig was there, MC was there and a bunch of other industry folk and I could really care less about them. Just a cool experience.

Anyway I would love to ride Baja, I need to ride Baja, I get about 3 offers a month but the truth is I am in the middle of an upstart distributorship and my time is in high demand. Plus mid February is when I take possession of a bunch of product and things are going to be a little crazy. I will try but it is not looking good. I will hit it this year for sure.

Who is coming from this area, I probably know them.

thanks.

Kelly

if you dont make this one--there has been considerable demand and i can see doing 2 (but not more) of these trips/year. another coming this summer. We should be able to raise $5000/yr for the kids!

I'm unable to make this ride, but would be interested in a future date. Love riding Baja and would like to learn more about and support the orphanage. Like Ride and others, I've met Malcom and it was a very positive experience. On his DS ride, he came over to our table, introduced himself, and then sat down to eat lunch with us. We chatted for about an hour. He is a very likeable guy and I like what he is trying to do in Baja.

And as for large capacity tanks, I traded emails today with both IMS and Clarke. Neither currently produces a tank that is made for the 06 bikes, but both said that one would be in production within the next 4-6 weeks. Clarke said they had problems with their first design and basically had to start the process over. I've heard that the 05 tanks work too, but I can hold out a bit longer for one that fits a bit better.

Can you give any further detail on this 5.5gal carbon fiber tank? Never heard about that.

Thanks

R

Yeah--he really is a nice guy. It was the first time i had met him--i was really sort of having an 'out of body' experience!

Well you guys come down next ride. I am thinking early June after the Baja 500. We can ride the cooler pacific side down to San Quintin...then keep going.

The carbon fiber tank is in the works. Its being developed for rallye type stuff on the Husqvarna. They arent cheap...PM me if ya want one.

Well you guys come down next ride. I am thinking early June after the Baja 500. We can ride the cooler pacific side down to San Quintin...then keep going.

That sounds perfect. Please keep me posted. :applause:

I did get an Email from a Washington friend who is going (Russ) on this first one. When will it be to late to enter or is it now.

Kelly

Russ is going on this Feb ride? Thats cool. Just for guys to know, my 04 TC 450 with the stock mx tank (2.1 gallons), running a 15/50 gearing ratio, got over 62 miles per tank last May on our 1st Annual Baja Huskys Ride. :bonk: When I say over, there was still fuel in the tank when we refueled at the Saw Mill. Now that I'm running a 16/46 combo and a 3.1 gallon tank, the mileage will reach over 110 miles per tank. You just can't grab a whole handful of throttle the entire way to get these mileages. I tithe money monthly to a Special Ed orphanage south of Colonet, BC (Bill and Kay Lawrence run it from El Cajon, Ca. and Journey Church in La Mesa, Ca.) every month on Hwy. 1. 4% of everything I gross monthly from work goes to them. The same goes with any ride I do, but I dont ask anyone else to pay. Thats a decision between you and God. :applause: Steny

When will it be to late to enter or is it now.

Kelly

The trip is Feb 25-26 with an option to ride the 27th. All the info is on the International Forum at the bottom....we have 5 Husqvarnas going!

We can squeeze in a rider or two--but its really getting full. I suspect there will be one or two more cancellations--but we are trying to limit it to around 20 riders--split into two groups for part of the trip.

later,

Mike

If you guys have some space I'd love to sign up as well. I've been trying to PM MikeKay and IronDude but you're both over your limits.

I can probably get another TE450 rider as well. Let me know when you can...

Thanks

-Marty

The trip is Feb 25-26 with an option to ride the 27th. All the info is on the International Forum at the bottom....we have 5 Husqvarnas going!

We can squeeze in a rider or two--but its really getting full. I suspect there will be one or two more cancellations--but we are trying to limit it to around 20 riders--split into two groups for part of the trip.

later,

Mike

Ride,

I would ask you to be honest with yourself and look at Mikekay's four options (there were actually five, but hey I don't want to quibble):

option 1> Clark - unfortunately this option does not exist. The tank you saw was a proto, and I actually exchanged emails and a phone call on it. Almost bought it actually, but it had fitment problems from the front shrouds.

option 2> IMS - option does not exist. It would take you a phone call to verify.

option 3> Carbon fiber mystery tank - who knows?? Tell me more if it is real. Where can I buy one?

option 4> Fender tank - could be done, but has numerous problems anyone who has used one knows about.

option 5> backpack - carrying gas on your person riding a dirt bike, outside of an emergency, is just plain dumb.

Option 4> is the only real option, but I am not fond of it. If I did the ride I would take my XR400 which will go more than 80 miles on a tank. In Mikekay's original post he inferred he was taking his 2006 510, so I read his suggested "find out more" area, and the very first thing I saw was the 80 mile requirement. Not consistent with the 510's range.

Perhaps my reaction was severe in your opinion, but "get your sh#t together" is a term used often in a non-insulting way, and that is the way it was intended.

Look, you guys don't need me to rain on your parade or to provide any wisdom relative to Husqvarna. So.... I'll be gone.

Before 4 strokes, 2 strokes were the way of the land in Baja. Carrying one or two gallons of pre mix on your waist was commen practice when riding Huskys and wanting to go 100 miles on a 3.5 gallon tank. Guys would even carry 1 quart jugs during races in case they ran out a mile or two before the 50 mile pits. Torco bottles were good for that.

So many guys think it is dumb or foreign to do this now, but we didn't have great handling 4 strokes in the 70's and 80's to ride and get 100+ mies out of one tank. You just have to be careful and stop every 20 miles or so to drop a gallon in. Carrying on your belt is easier because you dont have to stop and take off your backpack to get to the bottle. Just un buckle your fanny pak belt and pour it in. Steny