Tool Kit Recommendations

• 1 month later...
How much does all that weigh?

How do you carry it all?

Lots! And with difficulty. Now, with the WR not having a frame member under the rear fender, I'm reticent about carrying a rear fender bag on the WR. Maybe I'll post over in that forum and see what guys are doing. I've had to go to a front fender bag and a big tool fanny pack thing. Don't really dig it.

I have a rear fender pack (BlueRidgeRacing) a front fender pack (moose) and a cheap fanny pack that I put over the number plate, a fairly large backpack (DaKine snowboard backpack) and a walkie talkie pouch attached to my chest protector.

The most weight is water and the most bulk is the extra jacket and rain pants. It is a bit to carry and I always get a comment about carrying all that stuff until we are out on the trail and that same person who makes the comments needs something. Then you go from being ridiculed to worshiped, it's amazing what you can get for a spare tube out on the trail!

• Like 1

1. Add a siphon pipe(not always needed by you, but one of your buddies).

2. a tow rope or old tiedown for towing ppl or having ppl tow you out of mud or when you drown that bike.

3. Put in thick enduro tubes and fill them with slime, you woun't need to carry the puncture kit then or just put in the Moose tube tyres.

4. You should also add a shifting spanner.

5. mini tourch, great when you under a tree and you drop that screw.

6. good old roll of duct tape, great for when you break a clip off your boot and your boot starts to become a little loose.

7. Zip ties, these are great for when you break a lever off at the perch just zip it back on till you can service it properly.

8. folding knife (with serated edge) - great for cutting off the extra bits of zip tie.

9. cloth for getting oils and petrol off your hands.

10. Spare clutch and break lever x2 of each.

Also a great way to minimise the amount of bags/toolpacks/hydration packs is to look into climbing equipment like k-way products for example

K-Way Hydro Pursuit Daypack

A compact 16L adventure daypack

K-Way Hydro Velocity Daypack

A compact 10L adventure hydration pack

these packs have packing space and place for your hydration bladder and best of all they are fairly cheap.

Hope this helps

My pack is pretty small so I don't have much.

-2 small vise grips

-2 crescent wrenchs

-15 feet of rope

-2 spare spark plugs

-spoke wrench

-6-in-1 skrewdriver

-spark plug wrench

-5 feet of 12 gauge wire

-cloth (for wiping things down and to reduce noise)

-3" blade knife

Yeah so basically I'm covered for pretty much everything but flats. If there is anything we can't fix on the trail, I can always get/give a tow with my rope (been there done that). Then if we ever have anything break off such as a lever or say an XR100 engine mount, I can always temporarily fix it with my 12 gauge wire (also been there done that).

I saw a bike that had much smaller hand guards, They looked like metal bars that just barely covered the knuckles. I cant seem to find them though. any ideas? drawbacks?

are you talking about the moose hand guards?

9f4096d6.jpg

I've had them on that bike for 10 months now, they look like someone took an 80grit wheel angle grinder to them from all the dumps in the gravel and hitting boulders/trees with them. Yes, the throttle side is bent, had to replace the bolts and mounting brackets after that one. But, I haven't broke a single lever since I put them on ?

Golly, some of you guys are wasting a lot of money and carrying a lot of weight for nothing.

First, think about what kind of event you are riding. If you are doing an enduro or HS here in the US you will never be very far from your truck or help. If you break down you are not going to win. You may fix the bike enough to get back to the truck but you won’t win or probably even trophy because of the time lost.

Let’s see what is really needed for a enduro/HS.

You will need one or two sparkplugs. Even the 4-stroke guys should have one just in case they drown the bike in a stream. You will need a wrench to remove the sparkplug so get a Fredette wrench with the proper axel nut size on the other end if possible.

Next take notes the next time you are doing basic maintenance on your bike. Get a T-handle for the sockets and only carry the sockets that fit your bike. Same thing on open end wrenches, get what you need not every size.

Buy one of those multi size screwdrivers with two regular blade ends and two Philip ends.

Get a pair of pliers with the wire cutters built into them. Also a “small” adjustable wrench which will fit any odd sizes you may have missed. Or for your buddys bike who didn’t bring anything. ?

Wrap some duct tape around the screwdriver handle, add a master link or two, some wire and zip ties plus a clean rag and you are ready to go.

Add some money just in case and a candy bar.

That will be enough to get you out of the woods short of a major breakdown. There is not much weight there and it makes for a small bundle. I use a “small” fanny pack for this.

And yes, you can ride a bike for a long way on a flat tire even in single track so don't worry about fixing a tire at an event like this.

When I’m riding in an area where I am not near the truck (Like Colorado) I still use the above tool kit but I carry an extra front tube and the tools to fix a flat if needed. You only need a front tube because it will fit in the rear also.

What I do is use one of Dan’s Front Fender Bags http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/front_bags.html.

In that I place 3 short tire irons, a co2 unit and a bunch of co2 cartridges. Because I’ve now used up some of the space in the fender bag I mount the spare front tube on the front fender by using some little 6 inch bungee cords and hooking the ends to the side of the fender, over the top of the tube and then hook the other end to the other side of the fender. Do not run the bungee cords under the fender. First big bump and they get ripped off.

The remaining space in the Front Fender bag can be used for anything else you may feel you need.

Not a lot of stuff but you have to be realistic. If you are going to prepare for every emergence then you’d have to haul your whole tool box and a ton of spare parts around. Just haul enough to get by on.

Hope this helps someone.

Shifting Spanner = istockphoto_640481_shifting_spanner.jpg

You guys call it and adjustable wrench I imagine

When you drop a silver nut/screw under a tree and you pan over the area with a tourch(flashlight), the nut/screw will glint catching your eye(most of the time anyway)

And just to comment on Layton's post, I agree if you racing and you close to something you don't really need all this stuff, but if you in the desert or have wide open spaces like we do and you aint near diddly it helps, also don't use full size tools buy the good quality mini stuff that makes it so you don't feel a thing.