Just bought the 05 crf450x I have questions

I am sure it has been asked and I have looked up some of the things on this forum but is there a complete list of mods for a 05 CRF450X. I just bought the bike today and plated it today and when I was riding it around it felt nothing like my 02 crf 450r. It is much stiffer the throttle responce sucks it has a dead spot in or around second gear, which i have since fixed (pink wire mod) hopefully. and it backfires like a SOB.. I also am intrested in a must have and do list for the bike. I hope i like riding this one on the street as much as my old one. Thanks for any help. Ill post pics soon.

The guy did a nice job on that site,very well done.

The JD jet kit, smog block-off kit ,and airbox mod will fix your flat spot, and the bike will run stronger at all rpm,and cooler,withourt back-firing.

The difference is huge. Just don't try to do any airbox or exhaust mods until you get the jetting richened up. The pink wire mod is okay, but doesn't affect the lousy stock bogging and back-firing.

This has to be a simultaneous thing. Be sure to follow the instructions in the kit. You'll be very pleased with the results. Doug

well I just ordered the SMOG block kit and the JD jet kit. I cannot wait to put them on the bike. BTW that is a great site for the CRF.. I would have to say it is the best I have seen so far. I cannot wait to actually put the bike threw the paces and really see what it can do. I will be putting on road tires in the morning and playing around with it a lot more. Thanks for the link and the info. I love TT

Off the topic, where did you get it plated? I would like to plate mine also. I just ordered the Baja kit, and then I will start the process.

Thanks

Peace of cake to plate the only proble is you need the pink slip in hand. Also it looks like the law is changing Jan 1 but not sure. I am waiting to plate one more bike after Jan 1 to see if the process is really changed or not. I have written directions on how to plate a bike. If you go to your dmv and ask them how it is done they may give you a hard time but if you ask for a supervisor they will be happy to help you and teach the other person how to plate the bike. You need a light inspection and a vin verification. and that is all.

Are the problems you're having associated with it being a CA bike? Are these issues that others (outside of CA) need to worry about?

Don't Forget To Add 100cc Extra Tranny Oil Before Taking It To The Street, You Will Regret It.

Peace of cake to plate the only proble is you need the pink slip in hand. Also it looks like the law is changing Jan 1 but not sure. I am waiting to plate one more bike after Jan 1 to see if the process is really changed or not. I have written directions on how to plate a bike. If you go to your dmv and ask them how it is done they may give you a hard time but if you ask for a supervisor they will be happy to help you and teach the other person how to plate the bike. You need a light inspection and a vin verification. and that is all.

I paid cash so I should have the pink in a few weeks. But that will be after Jan 1st. I had been hearing that you could go in with the pink, lighting cert, and vin verification and change over. Just like the old days. Do you do the vin Verification at the DMV? Or is it a CHP deal. I am also curious if the law is changing. Keep us informed. ( Now that I have totaly blown this thread apart, Sorry guys :applause: )

You are right about it being the old way. And I have the DMV do the Vin Verification. You can also have AAA do it.