How do you clean YOUR air filter?

I know people clean their air filters in many different ways, so I was wondering how you clean YOURS and what chemicals you use. :applause:

I think I use no toil cleaner and water... pain in the arse. I think i read oxyclean works and is much cheaper? something like that. Hope someone has a better method than I use.

I take it out of the bike, wash it in hot soapy water, rinse it in hot water, wait for it to dry, put a thin layer of oil on it then put it back in the bike.

No Toil. No problem

shoot it real good with simple green and then hose it out from inside out then wash in warm soapy water

I tried Oxi Clean today and I was dissapointed. Simple green worked much better for me.

Air filter cleaner.

Er.....I don't clean mine. :applause:

Seriously all my XR's camr with K&N's so it's degrease, blow and oil. (Sometimes)

But I wondered if they were good enough for the dirt. Anyone with thoughts

on that?

But I wondered if they were good enough for the dirt. Anyone with thoughts

on that?

I run a K&N as well. Haven't had any problems with them. I just clean them good every couple of rides-

I have 4 air filters and rotate them. When they're all dirty, then No Toil Oil/Cleaner. Best thing about No Toil, is the waste fluids go safely down the drain. In the winter there is very little dust here and an air filter will stay clean for a long time. In the summer, it's a different story. One weekend of riding and the filter is toast, so having a fresh one ready to swap in saves time and hassle. :applause:

I have 4 air filters and rotate them. When they're all dirty, then No Toil Oil/Cleaner. Best thing about No Toil, is the waste fluids go safely down the drain. In the winter there is very little dust here and an air filter will stay clean for a long time. In the summer, it's a different story. One weekend of riding and the filter is toast, so having a fresh one ready to swap in saves time and hassle. :applause:

Exact same here except I have 3 filters. :bonk:

If I'm not in a rush I will soak it in Simple Green and water and put a weight on the filter then let it sit a few days. This will cause the oil to rise to the top. Then I get some clothing detergent and some gloves to finish it off.

Otherwise I would just use the clothing detergent. I have also found this to be a very cost-saving method.

FYI - I use PJ1 red filter oil ( yes the stringy stuff) and this method still works.

I wash mine in 89 octane regular unleaded, they come out like new. Then I properly dispose of the dirty gas.

I wash mine in 89 octane regular unleaded, they come out like new. Then I properly dispose of the dirty gas.

A joke I hope !!!

A joke I hope !!!

No Joke, I have been doing it this way for years and it works great for me. In fact, I know many people who do it this way. The only pain is having to take the dirty gas to my recycling center, but that only really requires one trip with a 5 gallon can in a year of riding.

Warm water with Ivory liquid. Once dry - a nice film of Amsoil High-Tack spray. :applause:

No-Toil best products around

I think I use no toil cleaner and water... pain in the arse. I think i read oxyclean works and is much cheaper? something like that. Hope someone has a better method than I use.

I switched from No Toil to Oxyclean - same exact product.

Really? I thought it worked great. I also use the No Toil spray oil so maybe the oxy clean just works great on that spcific oil formulation.

I have 4 air filters and rotate them.

Ahhh, so your are one of THOSE type people .... wish I could bring myself to be that organized and diligent :applause: