Huge mechanical error by me on my 06

I changed the oil today on my 2006 YZ250F and was in a bit of a hurry(1st mistake), 2nd mistake was I only put the bolt at the top of the oil tank in figer tight(HUGE MISTAKE) I rode about 20 minutes hard and I heard a funny noise so I pulled off and shut the bike off about 15 seconds after hearing the noise. I looked at it and realized the bolt had came out, next I drained the oil and about 150-225 ml of oil came out(in total), next I checked the oil filter and there were metal shavings in it, not a lot, but defenitly noticeable. The water level wasn't low(I guess it didn't get too hot) I filled it back up with oil and rode it for another 1/2hr and it seemed perfect, no funny noises. I'm going to drain the oil and check the filter again tomorow for metal shavings. Now my question is, what part of the motor are those shavings from? And any recomendations about what I should do. I think I have poor luck with my 4 strokes, on the last one my water pump seal went and all the coolant leaked out, frying the top end. Thanks, Ian.

doesnt sound like you lost too much oil and since its a new bike lots of shavings will be noticeable for a few oil changes...

not good to run with next to no oil its good to see u stopped when u heard a strange noise i suspect the noise may have been the lack of oil in the valve train if your lucky u may have done little or no damage(thats if u stopped as soon as u heard the noise)a new motor will have metal shavings i think that a lot of the shavings come from the clutch Next time take your time make sure everthing is done RIGHT u might be lucky this time

I changed the oil today on my 2006 YZ250F and was in a bit of a hurry(1st mistake), 2nd mistake was I only put the bolt at the top of the oil tank in figer tight(HUGE MISTAKE) I rode about 20 minutes hard and I heard a funny noise so I pulled off and shut the bike off about 15 seconds after hearing the noise. I looked at it and realized the bolt had came out, next I drained the oil and about 150-225 ml of oil came out(in total), next I checked the oil filter and there were metal shavings in it, not a lot, but defenitly noticeable. The water level wasn't low(I guess it didn't get too hot) I filled it back up with oil and rode it for another 1/2hr and it seemed perfect, no funny noises. I'm going to drain the oil and check the filter again tomorow for metal shavings. Now my question is, what part of the motor are those shavings from? And any recomendations about what I should do. I think I have poor luck with my 4 strokes, on the last one my water pump seal went and all the coolant leaked out, frying the top end. Thanks, Ian.

Wow, you spend $6K plus on a dirtbike and you half ass an oil change. You are a moron- heres your sign :bonk:

Check your compression and your valve clearances (or have a shop do it since you don't like to tighten anything). If all checks change the oil again (new filter) and pray really hard that you didn't fry the crank bearing or tranny :applause:

Everything is probably fine. Just change the oil every ride for a while and the filter. You might want to check the clutch and make sure the wear is alright, but with how little you rode it, you should be fine.

Wow, you spend $6K plus on a dirtbike and you half ass an oil change. You are moron- heres your sign :cry:

Wow. Tad harsh today are we? Someone piss in your wheaties? I guess if he paid "$6k plus" for a YZ250F, maybe he IS "a" moron...but we all make mistakes. I know when I hurry through something like an oil/filter change the job usually takes me longer than if I take my time. I hate it when I do that!

Check your compression and your valve clearances (or have a shop do it since you don't like to tighten anything).

Now THAT is funny. :bonk:

If all checks change the oil again (new filter) and pray really hard that you didn't fry the crank bearing or tranny :applause:

Hopefully the bike suffered little or no damage. JSanfilippo's advice is good.

I wish I was riding instead of working......

Change your oil and ride.... It should be ok. If you want you could pull the motor completely down and inspect everything for excessive wear. That will be the only way to be sure that everything is fine. Other than that my bet is you will be fine. Just monitor everything and don't make the mistake again. :applause:

Everything is probably fine but now everytime you think you hear a noise you will think she's gonna blow. You will develop advanced paranoya and probably lose your sanity because you will be more focused on motor noises than riding fast. Your acute hearing will improve but I'm afraid your lap times will suffer.

Wow. Tad harsh today are we? Someone piss in your wheaties? I guess if he paid "$6k plus" for a YZ250F' date=' maybe he IS "a" moron...but we all make mistakes. I know when I hurry through something like an oil/filter change the job usually takes me longer than if I take my time. I hate it when I do that![/quote']

Lets see, a YZ 250f retails for $5899. Most dealers aren't budging on the price here in northern cali so after tax and set up and all that other bullshit it ends up being $6k plus.

BTW someone did piss in my wheaties :applause:

I did almost the same thing on my 04 crf250. I forgot to put the oil cap back on, but it was on the transmission side. I finally realized I forgot to put it on when my clutch had a strange feel and I started to smell something burning.

FYI..READ you're manual...:applause:

Lets see, a YZ 250f retails for $5899. Most dealers aren't budging on the price here in northern cali so after tax and set up and all that other bullshit it ends up being $6k plus.

BTW someone did piss in my wheaties :bonk:

MAN! Hope you find out who it was! (Wasn't me! :cry: )

I guess I was behind the times on the price of the new bikes....I wait and buy left over models usually.

Glad I didn't offend you too much. :applause: