Lowering A '06' Yz250

Hey Guys, :lol::bonk::bonk:

Just a quick post. I was wondering what they exactly do to the bike when they lower it and how much you can lower a bike. Also does it affect performance of suspension, handling ect. :applause::bonk::cry:

Thank heaps and have an awesome and safe new year filled with riding :bonk:

:cry::cry::p

to lower the 06 cheaply and without affecting the suspension buy an 05 seat as they are much lower particularly in the centre spot. One ind sell complete seats.

yeah on top of the shock(rear) theres to little spinning threaded washers. put your bike up on a stand so its elevated and take the side plastics off and turn them until the swingarm goes up. and do the opposite for making it taller. (front) loosen up the front tripple clamp bolts and then puyt pressure on the bike and you should see the fork legs slide up. that will lower it. i dont think it rally affects performance i did it on all my big bikes

yeah on top of the shock(rear) theres to little spinning threaded washers. put your bike up on a stand so its elevated and take the side plastics off and turn them until the swingarm goes up. and do the opposite for making it taller. (front) loosen up the front tripple clamp bolts and then puyt pressure on the bike and you should see the fork legs slide up. that will lower it. i dont think it rally affects performance i did it on all my big bikes

Thats the spring pre-load on the shock. Its really NOT for lowering the bike. Its for setting the proper race sag only. Lower it much past the recommended 95-105 mm for the YZ and your turning will get bad (front end will push). Plus, the bike is now further through the shock stroke so it can mess up the damping charactoristics of the rear shock.

I am 5'5 and a half " and I don't have too much problems with seat height (its tall but narrow and the bike is light) on my '06 YZ (no more than any other tall bike I've owned). Only time its bad is if I get stopped leaning downhill on a slope; then its interesting!

If you must lower have a suspension shop shorten the fork and shock to keep everything balanced. Haven't had it done but I understand later it can be set back to standard length.

Yeah...DON'T use the preload lock nut on the shock for anything but setting your race sag. If you don't have that set properly your bike will not handle the way it was meant to. go to motocross.com and they do a pretty detailed explenation on setting it.

You can cut out seat foam, thats free and pretty easy to do if you have patience and a staple gun. That was the first thing I did to my YZF and my new YZ. http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/dunecj2a/100_1348.jpg

I also rounded out the bottom holes on my subframe with a rat tail file. That drops like 10mm at the rear fender.

There are alot of mods you can do but they are pretty pricey, especially when you start getting into the suspension. The top two are free :applause:

wasnt me

wasnt me

No sweat, we are all here to learn or get advise. Oh yeah and opinions :applause: