Picking up my new 06 YZ 250 tomorrow!

Well, I finally made up my mind & have jumped off the 4-stroke bandwagon & back to my 2-stroke roots. I was going back & forth between the YZ 250 & the YZ 450F & finally called the salesman up & told him to get the 250 ready. After owning a 426 & 450 I figured that I had had enough of checking valves, buying oil filters, expensive exhausts systems, messing with the fuel screw & on & on. Don't get me wrong, I'll miss the torque, straight gas & cool exhaust sounds but I can't have both ya know! I'll post some pics as soon as I can have someone show me how :applause:

I drove away from the dealership at 9:30am this morning with it in the back of my truck! Got home & took about 10 pics of it, then adjusted the bars & levers, set the sag, checked the chain alignment, anti-freeze, gear oil & then popped the seat off to see the poorly oiled air filter...they just sprayed a few zig-zags of filter oil on it & called it good :applause: I pulled the filter off & there was absolutley zero oil on the inside of the filter...so I oiled it the right way. Anyways, took it out to my friends house out in the country & broke it in on the canal banks. I can't believe the response this motor has!!!! It almost feels 4-stroke-like the way the bike responds to your right wrist. I'm gonna take my son out tomorrow morning & we're gonna ride all day :bonk:

MX1967...how about a ride report?

I am also considering the switch to a YZ250. I currently have an '03 250F, which has been a really good bike, but I would like to get a new bike; just can't make up my mind which one. I ride about an even mix of MX and trails (did a few GNCCs this year and hope to do 3-4 in '06 and some Vet C MX races). At 200-210 lbs. (depending on the time of year), I know that I am a tad heavy for the 250F, but I'm not sure I want the power of the 450F, particularly in the woods.

At any rate, any thoughts you have on your switch would be greatly appreciated.

I recently switched from an 01 YZ250F to an 05 YZ 250. Best move I ever made. I really liked the 250F, but the maintenance got bothersome. I still have the F, but I haven't even started it in months. Good Luck with your 06 the new suspension mods Yamaha made sound sweet.

Chris

Ok, here's my ride report. I ride in sandy loose dirt & this bike absolutley rips! I'm about 185 lbs & it pulled me up all the steep hills no problem & while going down one of the straight-a-ways on our track that we have set up in the desert the thing wanted to wheelie every time I got on the gas hard. One of the things that I missed the most when riding a thumper was not using the clutch too much in corners..ya know...just torque on through, well now with this bike it's so much fun coming into a tight corner & popping the clutch while being sling-shotted to the next corner. It handles awesome...never got any headshake, flies through the air just right, is just more fun to ride than my 450 was & sounds bitchin tapped out through a set of whoops! I haven't ridden in almost 2 months since I sold my 450 so I got tired pretty quick( I'm 38 yrs old...takes me a few weeks to get back in shape!) but rode until my forearms told me to stop.Here's what I like & don't like about the bike....Don't like-->The Renthal bars are too low & feel too narrow, chain looks like it will last about a month or so, & the bike seems like it sits too low in the back(yes, I have adjusted the sag). What I like-->the motor is perfect stock...great low end..strong middle & good top-end, very strong brakes, suspension works well & will get better as it breaks in...I backed off the forks compression from 12 clicks to 14 out, set the shock in 2 clicks on low speed compression to 10 clicks, left the high speed compression alone & set the sag at 97mm(to balance the bike out)Never touched any rebound settings..they were spot on. It's also nice not having to buy oil filters & check valve clearance anymore plus I can do a topend job for under $150. My friend has a 2003 YZ 450F & as I was driving home with my new bike he calls me from the desert where he was camping to tell me that his bike had locked up earlier that morning...I swear I thought he was joking with me..but he wasn't. I went to his campsite & sure enough, there he was with a seized up motor & a pissed off look on his face. The bike ran fine for 2 years then boom! I love my new 2-stroke!!!