Sign in to follow this  

Air Compressors?

Who all has one? What do you use it for? What air compressor would you recomend for someone that doesnt have enough space for one of the huge ones? I have gotten so sick of trying to pump up the tires on my bikes with a bicycle pump. (yes laugh all you want) I just need one that will be somewhat compact. When I say compact, I mean that I do not want something that will take up more than 2ft x 2ft I dont need one of those industrial ones that are 5 ft tall, or one of those work site ones that has 4 tanks. Just something that will get the job done.

You can get small home workshop style elecrical driven ones with a 25lt capacity tank.

I have one that I do small spray jobs, drying my bike, pumping tyres etc. You can also get those very small compressors that the 4x4 guys use & it plugs into the cigarette lighter socket in cars & vans, they are only used for pumping up tyres.

Go for the small home handyman style, don't know what they cost in the USA but here in SA they run at about $120.00.

I did a craftsman 6hp 33 gal upright.it takes up very little space and it is big enough for any future big projects I might do.plus it came free with 2 hoses and attachments.

i got one at wal-mart for 10 bucks.works off a cig lighter.pack it in the back of my quad...its a lifesaver and probably all you need.

I have a Husky 30 gallon upright. It fits in about a 2x2 space. Works for anything I need it, but I wish I'd gone with a bigger one. When I really use it, it runs constantly. The bigger ones don't take up much more space.

I did a craftsman 6hp 33 gal upright.it takes up very little space and it is big enough for any future big projects I might do.plus it came free with 2 hoses and attachments.

I have this one too. Its nice because You can run air tools with it. I also have an 11 gal. tank I can fill up and take with me. If You want something smaller sears has a bunch, also check out home depot or harbor freight. :applause:

An air tank might better suit you if all you want it for is to pump up tires. A lot cheaper way to go if you don't need the air compressor for other things.

My dad an air compressor/car battery jumper, and it works great. It will pump up a tire in 5 seconds, and it doesn't use a tank so its about 10"x10". I think you can get them from sears, lowes, or auto zone.

Well, I have an 80 gallon 2 stage upright 220V unit in my garage and use it for air tools. As a tech by trade, I find myself doing more stuff at home than I really want to. As for a good one for you, get one that will fill all your needs, now and in the future. A good one is a 33 gallon upright portable from Sears. (The one Hodgkin recommended and for the sam reasons) They have one that requires 20 amp outlet at 110VAC, so you may have to run a designated circuit, but power panels are usually right in the garage anyway. Get another one thta plugs into your 15 amps, you'll find it may not statrt when the tank is full of blow fuses. This upright from Sear will fill the order real nicely.

I bought this thing for $39 from Home Depot.

045564206383_4.jpg

It's only good for inflating tires and serviing as a 12 v DC power source. It's rechargeable and portable. It's heavy for its size, so it isn't a total POS. (The pressure guage isn't accurate enough for bike tires. Wouldn't trust it to read the difference between 8, 10, or 12 psi. So I use a more precise pressure guage.) All in all, for inflating my tires and taking along in the truck, it's great.

i just purchased and Alltrade 3hp 5 gallon compressor from Costco for $89 and it came with a 25ft air hose. works awesome :applause:

i just purchased and Alltrade 3hp 5 gallon compressor from Costco for $89 and it came with a 25ft air hose. works awesome :applause:

How many "minutes" of air is that?

Well I definately have some stuff to think about now. How much is that 33 gallon upright portable that toyot mdt tech was talking about?