Sign in to follow this  

Were is the DR Z400 power?

I'm uncomfortable going 65 mph for a long time with stock gearing. That's what I regret about my new bike. The engine is screaming at highway speeds. On the other hand, it's better off road than my other consideration, a DR650. I hate to gear it down any in fear that it will be too buzzy on the highway.
Oh would you stop. The DRZ can run 65 all day with stock gearing(15/44).

Oh would you stop. The DRZ can run 65 all day with stock gearing(15/44).

Yes a DRZ with stock S gearing (15/44) will cruize at 65~80 for hours on end... Done it many times.

Geared 14/47, it is happy at 55-65 no problem

Mine is geared 14/49 right now., so not a highway speed demon,, never the less.... It goes as fast as I need it to go... and will happly run at the 11k rev limiter if needed.

Yes a DRZ with stock S gearing (15/44) will cruize at 65~80 for hours on end... Done it many times.

Geared 14/47, it is happy at 55-65 no problem

Mine is geared 14/49 right now., so not a highway speed demon,, never the less.... It goes as fast as I need it to go... and will happly run at the 11k rev limiter if needed.

If you think the engine is "happy" at the 11k rev limiter, well that explains the difference between you and I. confused:

What kind of top speed do you get with the 14/49 gearing? Not that i'm going to rid there often, 98% of my riding will be off road. I'm just curious.

Mark

If I switch my stock 15/44 for a 14/47 combination and I keep my stock chain? My 2006 S only has two hundred miles.

If I switch my stock 15/44 for a 14/47 combination and I keep my stock chain? My 2006 S only has two hundred miles.

Y E S .

I work at a Honda/Yamaha dealership and have access to anything....I bought a DRZ400SM. Sure I could have plated a CRF/WR, but they are too maintenance intensive and don't have the "commuter manners" that the DRZ has. My bike starts easily, will out accelerate an XR650L, and I know that I can put thousands of miles on it without tearing down the top-end.

It is truly a great bike with a lot of potential. Kudos to Suzuki for offering a great dirtbike, an extremely capable dual-purpose bike, and for offering the SM. I can't begin to tell you how many customers we lose because Honda only offers an 80's big/heavy old school bike (650L) and Yamaha only produces a 225 (great for grandpa).

the power is there, just hidden to keep the dot/epa and all the jazz happy.start with the fcr carb and go from there

I was up at El Mirage dry lake bed here in SoCal last weekend with my stock CA E model. Since this was my first trip to a dry lake bed, I was really impressed with the stability of this bike topped out. Kind of nice to open of the bike when all of my previous excursions never got me out of 4th gear. My buddy had a modded DRZ (with stock 14/47) and he measured a top speed of 91 MPH on his GPS. :crazy:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/barstow/mirage.html

my dad and i both have S model bikes, mine's a 2000 with all the usual mods ( gearing, carb, intake, exhaust, etc.) and his is an '04 with hot cams and a 440 kit, exhaust, carb, etc. Mine runs 97 MPH at the limiter in 5th and his hits 103 at the limiter. They are completely equal in a drag race though, because mine is geared lower. and they will both walk all over a 250 4 stroke race bike ( well at least the YZ250F's) and XR650's are a little tougher, but the drz still pulls. so the power is there, you just need to mod the bike a little to bring out the true potential. I just can't wait for my motor to make a noise i don't like so i have an excuse to bore it and throw in the offset crank!!!! :crazy:

it will really wake up after you get about 500 miles on it.... mine sure did... then you can do all the popular mods and get the power you want.. i must admit i was a tad dissapointed the first day i took it out but i remained patient and it eventually opened up and woke up a bit.. since then i have done quite a few mods and am very very very happy with the drz motor.... you'll enjoy tinkering with it and adding power here and there.. enjoy!!!!

When i picked up my e model it was derestricted went OK but after about 500 kl ms it really started to go , the instant throttle response from the fcr carb is awesome and the low down torque gives the bike grunt off the lights that makes it good fun to ride both on and off road . I could imagine a brand new restricted s model would be gutless and boring but as they are saying the 3x3 mod for a start then many other options will have you smiling in the end.

I think it is all a matter of perspective. My DRZ400S is the smallest bike I have ever owned, and the first bike that is not a pure street bike. This bike is Fun! Fun! Fun! I couldn't explore and back road and keep going when it turned to dirt and then ATV trail on my street bikes. I'm not a racer and the stock bike has plenty of get up and go for me. I consider this bike a toy. I get on it and go for a hundred mile ride on a Saturday morning up in the hills of northeast Alabama and have a blast! Out of all the dual sports I looked at, this bike appeared to have the best compromise between weight, power, size, street and dirt manners. Yes, when I am on the street, I am always trying to shift into 6th gear, but I am getting used to running around at higher revs than on my street bikes.

With the quiet exhaust, I have never been chased out of a farmer's private dirt roads either.

I just bought an 02' DRZ-400S and although I did not ride it in it's stock form, it is a well known fact that the S model is way underpowered compared to the K or off-road model. My bike came stock except for an FMF Titanium 4 exhaust complete exhaust system. I re-jetted the carb with the Dyno Jet Stage 1 kit, put a Quiet Core FMF insert in the pipe to quiet it down, and added a K&N air filter. I think the power is great now. I just wish the bike revved a little higher before the rev-limiter kicks in. Yes I do wish the power was a little better so the front wheel would come up without really pulling on it. You just have to learn to shift a little earlier as these bikes are all torque unlike the 4 stroke motocrossers which rev much higher. I think Suzuki/Yoshimura(who apparently designed the engine for Suzuki) realize the S model is underpowered but they designed the engine for low compression in order to use 87 octane gas for the street. They realize the vast amount of aftermarket products for the bike, and thus let the customer up the power if they wish. It also fuels the aftermarket industry for them providing more $$$ for both I'm sure. You could put a big-bore kit when it needs a new piston/ring(Not sure when that usually comes) and put a thinner head gasket, like the E model, for higher compression. Question is, at what point do you stop? More and more Motard bikes(eg. Husqvarna, KTM,Suzuki) are coming out and hopefully these more powerful 500's-600's will give us the power we really want. I would love to see Honda produce a 650cc street-legal Motard bike based on their new water-cooled CRF-650F enduro. Again, will that warrant a lower compression for use of 87 octane then? Who knows. For now, the Suzuki is the best bet price-wise and for overall value. It handles quickly(relative to other dual-sports, not like a motocrosser) and is very light. Just upgrade the pipe to either a Yoshi or FMF and get a K&N air-filter with the 3X3 cutout in the airbox like I had done. You won't be disappointed. Remeber, it will never have the power of a quad cylinder 1100cc bike so don't even compare it to that. Enjoy it. :crazy:

I just bought an 02' DRZ-400S and although I did not ride it in it's stock form, it is a well known fact that the S model is way underpowered compared to the K or off-road model. My bike came stock except for an FMF Titanium 4 exhaust complete exhaust system. I re-jetted the carb with the Dyno Jet Stage 1 kit, put a Quiet Core FMF insert in the pipe to quiet it down, and added a K&N air filter. I think the power is great now. I just wish the bike revved a little higher before the rev-limiter kicks in. Yes I do wish the power was a little better so the front wheel would come up without really pulling on it. You just have to learn to shift a little earlier as these bikes are all torque unlike the 4 stroke motocrossers which rev much higher. I think Suzuki/Yoshimura(who apparently designed the engine for Suzuki) realize the S model is underpowered but they designed the engine for low compression in order to use 87 octane gas for the street. They realize the vast amount of aftermarket products for the bike, and thus let the customer up the power if they wish. It also fuels the aftermarket industry for them providing more $$$ for both I'm sure. You could put a big-bore kit when it needs a new piston/ring(Not sure when that usually comes) and put a thinner head gasket, like the E model, for higher compression. Question is, at what point do you stop? More and more Motard bikes(eg. Husqvarna, KTM,Suzuki) are coming out and hopefully these more powerful 500's-600's will give us the power we really want. I would love to see Honda produce a 650cc street-legal Motard bike based on their new water-cooled CRF-650F enduro. Again, will that warrant a lower compression for use of 87 octane then? Who knows. For now, the Suzuki is the best bet price-wise and for overall value. It handles quickly(relative to other dual-sports, not like a motocrosser) and is very light. Just upgrade the pipe to either a Yoshi or FMF and get a K&N air-filter with the 3X3 cutout in the airbox like I had done. You won't be disappointed. Remeber, it will never have the power of a quad cylinder 1100cc bike so don't even compare it to that. Enjoy it. :crazy:

I keep hearing about the 3x3 airbox mod, please explain

I am buying the 2006 drz400sm tommorrow morning. I am a yz 400f owner and a kx 250 owner. What are the best and most affordable mods? Please list the top four (in your opinion). What is a 3x3 airbox mod?

3x3 airbox mod is a hole at the top of the airbox allowing better airflow, no1 mod due to cost $0. You will need to rejet though. This is no1. Now if you want to get near (or beyond) the 40 hp mark with the sm you will need an fcr carb for about $500 new I believe and if you like some weight savings,better sound and performance you can go buy a yosh SS, or for better performance yet (and looks :crazy:) you can go with the yosh ti.

"basic" mods but very very different bike after all is said and done..

then if you want more there are always big bore, cams, higher comp base gasket plus plus plus.. happy reading TT :ride:

Main jet, needle postion and fuel screw position are the usual adjustments made