XR 70 wheels on a CRF 100?

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the swap ('00 XR 70 wheels onto a '06 CRF 100) this weekend for a very exited 8yr old. ? It turned out to be the perfect set up for us - manual clutch, more power, low seat height, and the ability to step it up as he grows. I was concerned about introducing the manual clutch, but he took to it right away. :bonk:

As was previously mentioned, the parts transfer over directly. The only difference we noted was in the thickness of the flange that the rear sprocket bolts to - approx 3/16" thicker on the CRF 100, which required us to shim it out to get proper chain alignment. Not sure if it varies with different years or not. Now all that remains is to experiment with the gearing.

The stock set up for the 70 is a 36 tooth rear sprocket and 50 on the CRF 100. I picked up a 47 for the XR 70 donor wheel, thinking I would be close to the stock gearing for the 100 - failing to account for dropping from a 16" rear wheel to a 12". ? With the 47 on the rear, it was geared way, way low. I will throw on the 36 and see where we need to adjust from there!

So...uh...anyone know a good gearing combo that will make it so I can have the 70 wheels on my bike and have very close to stock gearing. I like the gearing I have for my trails right now which is mostly mud and pretty steep hills that are muddy and rutty. When I say mud I mean verrrry deep mud everywhere. There's also a small stream about 4 feet wide. If someone comes up with a close to stock gearing combo or one better for the terrain I ride on it would be greatly appreciated! ? Thanks!