06 KLX250s Mods and Compatability

I got the parts used, and they included a 300R gas tank (10L/2.6G) 300R shouds (w/graphics), 300R petcock, and cap. I also got the strap which replaces the bolt at the bottom (near the seat) part of the tank.

I didn't try the stock petcock, but it looks like it may not fit. The 300R petcock mounts directly to the tanks, whereas the 250S one mounts on hoses that lead up to the tank. One hose is for the main/one is for the reserve.

The seat mounts up to the tank perfectly.

I used bolts with some hose/zap strap to plug the smog equipment.

I found a fan that is made by:

Comair-Rotron

Model#: FT12B4-E2

Part#: 039271

Size: 25.4 MM X 120 MM. (1" X 4.72")

12V DC, ball bearing, 2950 rpm, 90 CFM, 4.1 Watts, Enviroshield Type 2.

This fan mounts perfectly behind the 300R tank, and runs with the stock wiring. It comes on and turns off within 10 secs or so to cool the bike back to temp.

My next thing will be to find a big-bore kit, if it doesn't sacrifice reliablility too much. I knew nothing about this bike when I bought it but I am figuring it out one mod at a time.

I am happy most of the 300R parts bolt up so easily. Kawasaki has a real good thing going with this machine. I am loving it!

Any more questions just ask.

My next thing will be to find a big-bore kit, if it doesn't sacrifice reliablility too much. I knew nothing about this bike when I bought it but I am figuring it out one mod at a time.

I am happy most of the 300R parts bolt up so easily. Kawasaki has a real good thing going with this machine. I am loving it!

Any more questions just ask.

I read somewhere else, (Adventure rider, maybe?) that the KLX300 cylinder and piston, etc. would work with the existing 250 head -- people (in Australia, I think it is) get the 300 kits with their new KLX250R bikes for a few extra bucks, right from the dealers, sorta like a standard accessory add-on.

If somebody posts that they actually did this with our new KLX250S, I'm gonna get one too -- if anybody does it, please post a parts-list of what was needed?

I read somewhere else, (Adventure rider, maybe?) that the KLX300 cylinder and piston, etc. would work with the existing 250 head -- people (in Australia, I think it is) get the 300 kits with their new KLX250R bikes for a few extra bucks, right from the dealers, sorta like a standard accessory add-on.

If somebody posts that they actually did this with our new KLX250S, I'm gonna get one too -- if anybody does it, please post a parts-list of what was needed?

That is my understanding too.

I'm going to install a Muzzy exhaust, open the airbox, re-jet, and drop to a 13t on the front as my stage 1 plan.

If that's not sufficient, I'll go with a pumper carb as stage 2.

A big bore kit would be stage 3 for me.

All of this depends on the success of getting the IMS 3.2 gal tank to fit. I'm not doing jack until I've got more fuel to spare.

• 3 weeks later...

I rang Kawasaki and the p/n for the KLX 250 big bore kit is 999A275 and it is $600 Aus

the kit consists of

1 x barrel p/n 11005-1983

1 x gudgeon pin p/n 13002-1109

1 x set piston rings p/n 13008-1071

2 x gudgeon pin clips p/n 90033-1054

1 x Head gasket p/n 11004-1314

1 x cylinder gasket p/n 11060-1740

1 x Piston p/n 13001-1463

I rang Kawasaki and the p/n for the KLX 250 big bore kit is 999A275 and it is $600 Aus

Yep I have one and will install it soon on my 2005 KLX250 - Aside from that my KLX already has the Dynojet kit from the KLX300 - used the 128 jet, 3rd clip, Full big bore staintune exhaust, crankcase plug removed, Airbox lid opened up (doesn't anyone else find that they make a lot of induction noise without the lid??)

I reckon the bike has about 27hp now. (13-14hp standard on Aus models)

Interested in this igniter angle. Agree that the specs show the ignition is slightly retarded in comparison with the earlier bikes. Still I have no intention fo changing, as I feel it will only affect the higher rpm power.

Just bought mine last Sat. My full muzzy system should be here Tues. Can't wait 'cause it sure is slow now. My stock 93 xr 250L will run off and leave it. ?

Hey there! Have you followed all the mods here and here?

There's a whole 'nother bike in there waitin' to get out!

BTW, what part of Tejas you hail from? I'm up in Grapevine.

Put my pipe on today and all I can say is wow. It sounds awesome and really pulls through the rpms much quicker. ? I was hoping, but really didn't think it was going to make that much difference. Going to try the front sprocket tonight.

After ALOT of trial and error, here is my jetting settings for 2006 KLX250S:

Dynojet kit, KLX 300. KLX 300 offroad pipe & muffler, no butt plug, no airbox lid.

128 MJ, dynojet needle in 2nd position (from top), lean floats at 1 MM lower (increase distance from stock), STOCK pilot jet (35) at 2.25 turns out.

This gives the best top end, midrange and bottom power. You get slight popping on decel, but overrall the best settings.

I run 13/42 gearing....highway cruise at 90 KPH at 6K RPM. Top speed is 150 KPH (on speedo). The GPS showed around 135 KPH or 85 MPH.

The bike is killer in tight trails/two track. Not bad in more open stuff, just don't expect to pass any 400/650s.

Andy.

Put my pipe on today and all I can say is wow. It sounds awesome and really pulls through the rpms much quicker. ? I was hoping, but really didn't think it was going to make that much difference. Going to try the front sprocket tonight.

What else did you do, besides the Muzzy?

Did you put in the 128 mainjet and needle (which needle?) too, yet, or do just the pipe only, with no other mods?

What else did you do, besides the Muzzy?

Did you put in the 128 mainjet and needle (which needle?) too, yet, or do just the pipe only, with no other mods?

haven't done carb work yet. with air box lid on it looks like it doesn't need jetting. inside pipe is black and no popping.