Sign in to follow this  

06 KXF 250 Shifting Problem

If anything I'm shifting down too hard (but I'm not), the bike is over shifting past 2nd into neutral.

:applause:

I had the same problem on an '05. Before it started doing it I had crashed pretty hard and the bike had landed really hard on the left side. After the crash most of the time it would go straight from 3rd to neutral. It ended up being a bent shifting fork which also tore up a couple gears. So my first question would be do you remember crashing on the left side recently?

I had the same problem on an '05. Before it started doing it I had crashed pretty hard and the bike had landed really hard on the left side. After the crash most of the time it would go straight from 3rd to second gear. It ended up being a bent shifting fork which also tore up a couple gears. So my first question would be do you remember crashing on the left side recently?

Yup!!! I know on the 05's I fixed a shifting fork that rotates the shifting drum!! Not sure what you call this piece but it is a common repair after falling on the left side.

I So my first question would be do you remember crashing on the left side recently?

Nope haven't crashed it. It missed shifted on my very first break-in laps.

Heres the latest.

The dealer pulled the outer case apart and inspected the shift mechanism, they found nothing. The are now waiting for Kawasaki to reply. I rode the bike this past Sunday. If I downshift gently from 3rd to 2nd its fine every time. But if I downshift hard, it passes 2nd and goes into neutral above first.

As I find out more I'll update.

Well, I talked to Kawasaki yesterday. Basically I was told there may be a design flaw, they have had some complaints. They are looking into it. But don't expect anything if at all real soon. They want time to Tallie the complaints and see if they want to make a move on this issue.

So for now I'm S.0.L.

If the bike keeps misshifting, I'm going to have to bail out, don't want to its a great bike. But it leaves me no choice.

That really sucks...

I bet if you complain enough to kawasaki, that they will hook you up... somehow

Because they are gunna have to fix it for the pros that ride the bike...

And companys will probably sell aftermarket shift forks, or what ever it is going wrong

I contacted kaw and they said there is no problem with the bike. They say it is a sensitive shifter and it must be rider error

I contacted kaw and they said there is no problem with the bike. They say it is a sensitive shifter and it must be rider error

I got that same line of BS. Denial must be corporate policy until enough people complain.

I have a transmission that completely skips over a gear and goes into neutral, and its my fault??.........LOL......Id like to see anyone on any bike pull that trick off on a transmission that works properly.

:applause:

I almost got through a whole riding day without it happening then about three laps before I packed it in it did it again. This little glitch can be extremely dangerous, especially if you drive into corners fast. When you are set up for the decompression after downshifting to second and all of a sudden the thing is freewheeling the bike tends to go straight off the track. I suspect Kawasaki is well aware of the problem but is cautious about the possible liability issues.

I am going to do to my '06 what I did to my '04. And that is to weld a tit onto the detent arm to load the spring and put more pressure on the detent.

I almost got through a whole riding day without it happening then about three laps before I packed it in it did it again. This little glitch can be extremely dangerous, especially if you drive into corners fast. When you are set up for the decompression after downshifting to second and all of a sudden the thing is freewheeling the bike tends to go straight off the track. I suspect Kawasaki is well aware of the problem but is cautious about the possible liability issues.

I am going to do to my '06 what I did to my '04. And that is to weld a tit onto the detent arm to load the spring and put more pressure on the detent.

mines also done that goin into corners!...its damn scary and your lucky to not get hurt if it happens!

bump....

455 (Steve), I rode mine today after welding up the detent arm and it worked perfectly. The gear box has a much better feel to it and I can actually find neutral now. I went into one corner and I could feel the tranny doing what it does just before it goes into neutral and for the first time it stayed in second. It is just a band-aide and there is no guarantee that it won't get worse (or come back) but for now my tranny is working great. One more thing I might suggest is to try grinding on your shift shaft where it hits that stop pin. When I was trying things to fix my '04 I welded it so that the shift shaft didn't move as far with the idea that maybe it was physically moving the drum too far (past second). When I did that it had the opposite affect, it made the problem worse. I also noticed an improvement a couple weeks ago when I moved my shift lever up a notch. Again, these are all band-aides to minimize the effect of whatever is really causing this problem but at least I can ride my bike now and not have to worry about that happening...

Thanks Float! I hope it continues to shift well. The latest, Kawasaki has agreed to replace just about all my outside the case shifting parts. I will update after that.

Ok the latest. Some shift parts are back ordered from Kawasaki, so I went back in and took Floats advice and bent the shift detent spring some more.

That did the trick! The bike never missed one shift all day. As far as I'm concerned its now fixed. I wont bother with any replacement of shift parts Team Green had suggested. It was just a guess on their part anyway, but I do appreciate their and my dealers help in this matter.

I think Kawasaki owes Float(Brian) and I something for figuring this out. :thumbsup:

Ok the latest. Some shift parts are back ordered from Kawasaki, so I went back in and took Floats advice and bent the shift detent spring some more.

That did the trick! The bike never missed one shift all day. As far as I'm concerned its now fixed. I wont bother with any replacement of shift parts Team Green had suggested. It was just a guess on their part anyway, but I do appreciate their and my dealers help in this matter.

I think Kawasaki owes Float(Brian) and I something for figuring this out. :thumbsup:

Hey Steve, glad to hear that that fixed your problem. It never occurred to me to just bend the spring. Good idea! I just got back from riding and again it shifted perfectly all day. Wish someone out there would come up with an aftermarket stiffer spring or something. I've had three of these bikes and all three had this problem to some degree or another.

What I call the detent arm (and spring) is under the primary cover. You would need to remove the clutch to get at it...

Mi kx is on order, and i questioned my dealer and he said if there is a problem and kaw does not stand behind it that you can go whistle dixie! I called kaw and they told me there are no problems and that it is a sensitive shifter. I called pc and they said there are no problems. let me know if you tear down the motor and what kaw says.