Sign in to follow this  

Get Drilled (Stock exhaust Mods)

Hello All ! :bonk:

Has anybody done the poor mans mod to his stockie pipe?

As poor man I was talking about drilling holes right down the pipe opening?

This dude did it here;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322933

I'm too Chicken Sh** to punch a holes in my 2005 DR650 tail pipe untill I know it will be ok to do it. Not problem on the dynojet and K&N filter but lay out 400+ on a new pipe,,, I think the 'ol lady would have a COW :cry: (I can hear it now-"Whats wrong with the one that's on there?It's brand new!" :cry:

It's a little doggie on the low end but picks up nice. I already have enough black marks on the driveway to be happy with the mid-range. Top end yet to be seen...... :applause:

try thisIMG_2913Large.jpgIMG_2914Large.jpg

pipe from CRF 450 mid pipe cut off stock weld it done. 50 bucks maybe 60 if you had a muffler shop do the welding.

From what Jesse says, drilling out the stock muffler will negate the spark arrestors. Which will carry a heavy fine if caught by a forest ranger or game warden. Not to mention the possible risk to starting a fire..... (even though I've heard that spark arrestors were primarily intended for 2smoke engines).

i did mine and it wasn't worth it. the sound makes you cringe. luckily, i had this as a back up from a buddy who didn't want his stocker so i run with a stock one still. if i had the skill, i'd cut the rear off the stocker and gut some of the chambers and have a larger removable tip. might as well build a cheaper aftermarket setup and lose the lbs if you wnt to go that far though.

:bonk:

Thanks guys....

I was wondering if it would sound like a sick 68 VW Bug;

With alot of "faa,faa,faa" like a POS car with a exhaust manafold leak-yuck!

I have been here a few days but sounds like Jessy is "Daa Man" for DR's ?

Virginia is tuff on inspects(Yes that will cost you extra) so-no-can-do...

I would like to do the Shenandoah 500;See;

http://www.nvtr.org/

And would get Put Off The Trail for sure ! :applause:

I don't want burn the woods if I Anti spark arrest this beast !

my last 650 I drilled holes in the end. Didn't seem to make much of a difference performance or sound wise

I'm the guy who drilled out my stock exhaust, it has been about a month ago.

I used a 1" drill. It is a little louder that stock, it isn't a great sound, but not that bad either. Funny, the mpg went right down the tube with that mod, and the engine response went right up. That mod only. I checked the plugs and it doesn't look too lean.

Dave

Hey everyone;

I talked to Jesse at kintech today;;;

Asked about the drill thing,,,

Jesse said "Do the Dyno Jet and K&N filter and airbox first. After that you will probably forget all about the muffler. The carb mods will really wake that thing up from the factory settings." :bonk:

I rode today,, (40 degrees today) and blue seemed to be running real lean when coming up the the stop signs. If you hear that 'Pop-Pop" from the tail pipe,,, She's a lean-in. It also wanted to fall on it's face with no power untill about 1500RMP. Again way lean from the factory-At least in cool(Not Cold Yet :applause: ) weather.....

Should get to beathing better next week !

i never said how i did my stock exhaust mod. what i did was used a dremel to grind out the tip that is in the end of the exhaust. i cut the tip to muffler first which let the rest of that piece slip inside the muffler. this took a long time to do and the results to me were not worth it with the new found "sound". i didn't try the drilled holes in the rear though.

This thread reminds me of when I was in Highschool and we told some dweeb that drilling holes in his '68 Coronet's single muffler (318) would make it "faster". We were just messing around and didn't expect him to actually do it.

Wow.

That thing sounded like one long fart. You could here him coming from miles away. ;-)

i fell for it, but i had a backup so it was ok to do that experiment :applause:. i'll go with a custom setup when money permits.

Not to drag up a thread from the dead but I was wondering if anyone had drilled their stock pipe and found this.

At the risk of taking a bashing I'll confess to doing this same thing tonight. I have three bikes, with a fourth on order, plus a quad and the pipes, jet kits, hi performance air filters, Power Commanders, etc are getting ridiculously expensive. I was looking at my 2006 DR this afternoon and decided to remove the exhaust and see what I could do without dumping another $300.

I used a 1 3/8" arbored bi-metal hole saw and went right down the exhaust hole, removing two steel "slugs" from within. I'm sure the first was the spark arrestor (I don't go off road in areas subject to USFS regulation) and the second was part of the muffler chamber.

This is by far the most redneck modification I've ever made to a vehicle and surprisingly, one of the best. The exhaust tone increased somewhat but it's not obnoxious at all, mostly just a deeper note. The exhaust gas air flow increased dramatically and throttle response increased very nicely. I doubt I gained any HP but the motor definitely revs more freely now.

I'd say this particular modification wouldn't be for everyone, or even for most, but it should be a good fill in until I invest in a pipe. I'm doing the DJ kit and K&N later this week and will see how this "Redneck Engineering" works with the other end of the motor attended to.

Joe

Dang you did drag up an old post.....

Can't say I don't stay on top of my posts though uhh?

I was wondering if 'er red-neck 'in-ga-near-ring' had considered takin' that pipe off and goin' to town from the header end? Is it too curvy to get down the pipe? When my tax return get here I goin' to spring for the 300+ pipe......

Can't wait to hear it run ! :thumbsup:

I was wondering if 'er red-neck 'in-ga-near-ring' had considered takin' that pipe off and goin' to town from the header end?

When I did my base gasket, I ground probably 1/4" of weld from inside the pipe flange. Can't say for sure that it made a difference, 'cuz I did the DJ kit and airbox mod at the same time. Made me feel good though! :thumbsup:

Dang you did drag up an old post.....

Can't say I don't stay on top of my posts though uhh?

I was wondering if 'er red-neck 'in-ga-near-ring' had considered takin' that pipe off and goin' to town from the header end? Is it too curvy to get down the pipe? When my tax return get here I goin' to spring for the 300+ pipe......

Can't wait to hear it run ! :thumbsup:

I used a 14" extension and was able to get as far as I wanted to go from the exit end. Wow, that just doesn't sound right. Anyway...

Going from the header side would have been impossible due to the curves of the pipe going into the muffler.

Using the bit and extension got through the muffler and into the big squarish box thingee. I had assumed that was a catlyzer but if felt empty. I don't know what that thing is now. :thumbsup:

Joe

I used a 14" extension and was able to get as far as I wanted to go from the exit end. Wow, that just doesn't sound right. Anyway...

Going from the header side would have been impossible due to the curves of the pipe going into the muffler.

Using the bit and extension got through the muffler and into the big squarish box thingee. I had assumed that was a catlyzer but if felt empty. I don't know what that thing is now. :thumbsup:

Joe

they're just chambers to cancel out the sound. how does it sound with the hole drilled through most the innards? when i did mine a while back, it left a tweety type of sound but i didn't do anything other than go through the tip to remove it.

they're just chambers to cancel out the sound. how does it sound with the hole drilled through most the innards? when i did mine a while back, it left a tweety type of sound but i didn't do anything other than go through the tip to remove it.

It sounds great, I rode it about 200 miles today and have zero complaints.

When I went through the first bit of metal it sounded a little tinny but after the second punch it now has a deep but mellow tone. Not obnoxious, just sounds like a bigger thumper. I do have some minor popping on decel but even that's not bad and should be sorted out tomorrow when I do the DJ kit and K&N air filter.

I think it freed up enough air flow that I can treat the jet kit install as if I had an aftermarket pipe so I don't need to mess with the jetting if and when I do buy a new pipe.

I actually quite pleased with the results, which is good because I wasn't too sure about jamming a drill bit down the pipe of a brand new bike.

Joe

I rode the other day without my helmet, I've decided it sounds like a dixie chopper (lawn mower) which in Texas, ain't that bad...

I rode the other day without my helmet, I've decided it sounds like a dixie chopper (lawn mower) which in Texas, ain't that bad...

I've never heard a dixie chipper so the comparison is lost on me but after putting in the jet kit last night, along with K&N, open air box and drilling the carb slide my bike definitely went from DR Jekyl to DR Hyde. On the way home I stopped at the local bike night and actually received compliments on how the bike sounds.

I also did my first power wheelie on the bike just by going into 2nd and hammering the throttle, no clutch and no tug....the wheel came off the ground by about a foot. :thumbsup: That's not small feat with my formidable (270lb) girth in the saddle and I'm certain that first gear wheelies will come easily....possibly too easliy....

Joe

now i have to do it. i'll start with a small hole and get larger but leaving the actual end cap intact unlike the last one that i fully removed. i may be looking ebay over for another stock silencer if i mess this one up.