Sign in to follow this  

Plates for your bike

I think Id rather chance a ticket than go through the hassel of hanging all that DOT legal shit on my WR.

I run the stock headlight with a PIAA 80/80 bulb, Dunlop 756s

An LED 1157 brake/tail light in the stock housing

a single useless acerbis mirror and a Licence plate

Good enough for me, even if I get a ticket its only equipment violations and doesnt go on the driving record.

Call me a rebel or wharever but this state can kiss my ass with all of its BS motorcycle regs. My WR just as if not more legal than most Harleys.

Eric

Drew, does you title have some red lettering on it saying "not eligible for road use"?? I have a buddy with a 2004 KTM 450 EXC and his title reads under use class "ORV" but its not branded with the red lettering. In the "PLATE" section reads his plate number. He has a WA plate on the bike. What you might try to do being as the title isnt branded (and its not on the KTM's) is to just tell them you want to ride roads this year and want the plate back. They have no way of knowing it was an off road bike, as far as they know, its road legal, you just didnt buy the road plate as you were going ot do trail riding.

If your title has the infamous red print, you are SOL unless you "wash" is off, ie transfer it out of state, and import it back in.

I went to the tiny DMV satelite office here on Orcas Island. My title does have the infamous red print. Unfortunately, once it is designated as ORV, it is impossible (to me) to get a regular plate.

Hey Drew, Try the dual licensing/usage trick on them, I know a guy who got his plate that way.

Re titled at the DMV for ORV and CYC. Says so on his Title.

He now has a Plate and ORV tabs.

The DMV folks can print out all the regs right there in the office.

Good luck

Eric

Keep in mind, the person that originally posted is from WA state, so while all the OR information is nice to know, it won't help her get a plate in WA state.

A couple of ways to go here:

1. Get a plate however you can and throw it on your bike, forget about all the street legal requirements - take your chances if you get pulled over.

2. Get a plate, get it all street legal (brake light, DOT tires, etc).

I've gone with # 1 and so far its working fine. But I only use the road to connect trails, and I keep it mellow when on the road.

As mentioned, if you go to a WA state licensing office and tell them you want to plate your dirt bike (or whatever bike that doesn't have a plate), they will give you some paper work and tell you you have to have it inspected by the WA State Patrol. But like has been stated, WA State Patrol will not inspect it. So that route does not work. End of story there.

Your options for having a plated dirt bike come down to this:

1. Buy a factory street legal dirt bike: DRZ400S, '06 Husqvarna, etc.

2. Buy a used dirt bike that already has a WA state plate.

3. Buy a dirt bike from out of state that already has a plate (like from OR, ID), etc. I have heard this is no problem to get your WA state plate.

4. Buy a dirt bike from Canada, suppossedly the MSO's do not say anything about them being for "off road use only" and you can get a plate. I know some people that have done that in the past, but can't vouch for it myself as I have never done it.

5. Buy a new KTM from a dealer and have him plate it. This worked on the '04 models, not sure if any dealers will, or can do it, for the '05, 06's.

This last one is the crap shoot method, but it has worked many times 'I have heard' (and worked for me once) and is worth trying if you already bought the bike and you really have nothing to lose at that point.

"The look stupid and act painfully dense, but friendly method". :applause::bonk:

Note: this method will only work if your MSO or current title does NOT say something to the effect of "off-road use only". If it says that, you may as well stop right now, because your chances of plating it in WA state are slim to none.

If for some reason your title or MSO does not say anything about it being off road use only, then proceed to #6.

6. Walk into your local licensing office and when they tell you you can't plate the bike, make faces, be polite and act like you just cannot understand how that could be. Explain that the bike is all street legal. Keep this up as long as the person behind the counter is not hostile. They may or may not give you your plate.

If they get hostile (or if you get hostile), you're done. Move onto the next licensing office.

Try the same tactic at different licensing offices until you get lucky and they give you your plate.

But again, remember, if you MSO or title says anything like "off road use only", you're not likely to get anywhere.

If that's the case, then sell your bike to a relative or friend in OR, ID, NV, AZ, VT, etc, and have them plate it. Then after some short amount of time, have them sell the bike back to you and see if you can transfer the title and plate into WA state. You should be able to do that.

Or you can buy one of those POS Chinese things at Schuck's and plate it.

I talked to a rep from the WA dealers association and he had no idea how Schmucks gets away with their retail vehicle sales practices.

Hey Drew, Try the dual licensing/usage trick on them, I know a guy who got his plate that way.

Re titled at the DMV for ORV and CYC. Says so on his Title.

He now has a Plate and ORV tabs.

The DMV folks can print out all the regs right there in the office.

Good luck

Eric

Thanx Eric - I'll give it a try. :applause:

I plated my '03 WR450 after it had already been ORV licensed. I used the play dumb method at a rural licensing agent. I think one trick is to not have the title with you. Use the registration. My title at the time was with Yamaha financing so I didn't have it anyway. I told them I had added a dual sport kit and wanted a plate. All their information they had told them that the WSP only inspects a vehicle if it is a reconstruction or new construction. So they just went in and changed ORV to CYC and I had a plate.

I did install a Baja designs kit to have the horn, brake light, and high low beam. But I didn't install the signals. I don't even run DOT tires. I actually have an email from the local OHV officer that I carry a copy of that states that DOT tires are not required to ride on WA state roadways. Along with the whole metal tank thing also.

-Lowedog

I went to the tiny DMV satelite office here on Orcas Island. My title does have the infamous red print. Unfortunately, once it is designated as ORV, it is impossible (to me) to get a regular plate.

Ah Drew, its such a waste, especially on a KTM! Yes, you will never plate it in this state unless you sell it out of state and import it back to "wash" that ugly red ink off!

4. Buy a dirt bike from Canada, suppossedly the MSO's do not say anything about them being for "off road use only" and you can get a plate. I know some people that have done that in the past, but can't vouch for it myself as I have never done it.

Well, technically, the bike from Canada is sold to you as used. Canadian MOS's do still call it off road. But when its sold in the US, its sold as used and with a title. The BC titles have no off road designations and the VIN doesnt come up in the US database as "off road", in fact, mine by the VIN (04 WR450F) is green stickerable in Cally! So when you do the papwerwork, they have to ask you what model. I just told them I need to swap my title and get my plate. I had to pay my sales tax. All said and done, It costed my $527 above initial purchase for the bike. But no to many plated 04 bikes from Yamaha in this state. I get all kinds of questions at the poker runs like "how did you do that"

And on another note. A bootlegged plate from your Harley attatched to the dirt bike, if your caught doing this, the fine is about 4 times as much as the ticket from just riding on the roads with a plate. If your lucky, the cop wont have access to a repeater to call it in and run the plate. But they could "mail" you your citation later.

Well, technically, the bike from Canada is sold to you as used. Canadian MOS's do still call it off road. But when its sold in the US, its sold as used and with a title

What are you talking about?

This *may* be true if you buy from a broker but if you buy the bike yourself it is definitely NOT a "used bike". I'm still confused as to why people pay those brokers? Just walk into the shop and buy the bike. On your way home tell the guy @ the border that you bought a dirt bike. There are no fees or duties on bikes under 900cc (+/- 100cc, can't remember the exact #). They'll write the VIN on a piece of paper that says you imported it properly and you're done - That's it.

However....

You *SHOULD* support your local dealer and buy an easily plate-able KTM or a completely Street legal '06 Husky. It's the right thing to do!

And...

Due to the exchange rate; It's not really worth buying a bike in Canada right now. Our current administration has printed so much useless paper to pay for this silly war that they've pissed away any strength the American dollar had.

Sorry to get political. Toyota's sig line raises my ire.

-Tyler

What are you talking about?

This *may* be true if you buy from a broker but if you buy the bike yourself it is definitely NOT a "used bike". I'm still confused as to why people pay those brokers? Just walk into the shop and buy the bike. On your way home tell the guy @ the border that you bought a dirt bike. There are no fees or duties on bikes under 900cc (+/- 100cc, can't remember the exact #). They'll write the VIN on a piece of paper that says you imported it properly and you're done - That's it.

Well, if you buy it new, and bring it across, you wont ever get a plate. The MSO in Caanda sais "off road". I didnt pay duties, but it dod have to go through customs and the broker handled all the paperwork. The dutie paperwork inclused the price paid and was needed to title it (had to have the red stamp on it) and to pay the taxes to title it.

However....

You *SHOULD* support your local dealer and buy an easily plate-able KTM or a completely Street legal '06 Husky. It's the right thing to do!

Certainly, but if you'll look into "my garage", I have plenty of times. I just wanted a plated bike on WA so I had no choice. Maybe talk to your politicians, change some laws. Ypu'd be suprised at how much money is lost because of all the restirctions on plating bikes in WA state.

And...

Due to the exchange rate; It's not really worth buying a bike in Canada right now. Our current administration has printed so much useless paper to pay for this silly war that they've pissed away any strength the American dollar had.

Sorry to get political. Toyota's sig line raises my ire.

Well, I paid $5399 for my new WR450 plus $200 shipped to Kent. The closest I could come with a KTM was about $7000. (yeah, I did look into it) By the time I figured in all the taxes, freignt and setup etc, was closer to $8000 OTD

Sorry about your "ire", but maybe put me on your ignore list. :applause:

1st off; apologies for the tone of my previous missive, it was not intended to be snotty or finger pointing.

Well, if you buy it new, and bring it across, you wont ever get a plate. The MSO in Caanda sais "off road". I didnt pay duties, but it dod have to go through customs and the broker handled all the paperwork. The dutie paperwork inclused the price paid and was needed to title it (had to have the red stamp on it) and to pay the taxes to title it.

This was not true for the '01 WR426 that's sitting in my garage w/a WA plate on it. A customs broker isn't needed. I've done this @ 3 different border crossings, the paperwork is literally 1 page for each bike and it takes seconds.

Also, I wasn't trying to point the finger specifically @ you about the local dlr thing.

Like you, I couldn't resist the lure of the smokin' deal and, even though my wife worked for a Yamaha dlr at the time, I bought a "Canadian

bike". Well, actually, 7 or 8 bikes while our dollar was strong.

Sorry about your "ire", but maybe put me on your ignore list.

Actually your posts are generally pretty good - Informative and well written. I usually agree w/ what you write until I get to your sig line, then I feel like you're just lookin' for a fight w/ anyone that's dumb enough (read: me) to take the bait. Also; I'm impressed by your trailer and the website you built to show it off, I use them for ideas.

Cheers;

Tyler

Ok so I just got back from the DOL with a Shiney New Plate for my 2004 KTM 450 EXC

The title had in Big Red Letters: Offroad Competition Only

Original State of Title: MO

State of New Title: WA

2004 KTM 450 EXC

(No blinkers, no mirrors, no DOT tires, no brake light, no nothing)

So here is how this went down, I bring this up because it seemed to work for me.

I went down to my DOL office and did some paperwork on another bike I own. I puposefully made it as hard as possible. Leaving key items at home so I would have to make several trips into the office. After 3 trips the lady knew me and got my old bike taken care of. 2 weeks later I showed up with my new title and bill of sale. I explained that I had no idea what I was doing and that I was scared that I have messed this up since it was out of state just like I messed up my last visits. She laughed and assured me that this one would be easier. I told her I appreciated her help and if anyone could help me there , it would be her. (Open flatery is ok in moderation)

A few minutes later she had me finished but I had to go to the bank to get my money. When I returned to the office to cash out, I was sent to the manager who handles Cycle Paperwork. Before handing my plates to me she looked at the registration and asked me if the bike was a dirt bike. She saw KTM and instantly knew what was going on. I asked her to define what make something a dirt bike. She then laughed and asked me if it was ever plated before? I of course had to say NO. She then replied have you had it inspected by the WSP? I of course honestly answered NO. THen in exasperation I said .... I knew this was going to be more difficult. The lady laughed handed me my plates and told me to be safe out there. Then she said it was my responsibility to meet the safty requirements of the road set by the WSP, and not hers to enforce it. Whe she handed me those plates I swear I practiaclly vaporized.

I mean POOF .... where did he go.

But I got plates now.... and yes for all you guys that want to start a little spitting match, I promise I will get the minimum legal items on my bike prior to operation on a road.

Just thought I would let you know how it went for me. I was freaked out after reading this whole post so I figured I would put some extra effort into my transaction.

GOOD LUCK

Ok so I just got back from the DOL with a Shiney New Plate for my 2004 KTM 450 EXC...

I puposefully made it as hard as possible. Leaving key items at home so I would have to make several trips into the office. ...

I explained that I had no idea what I was doing and that I was scared that I have messed this up since it was out of state just like I messed up my last visits...

A few minutes later she had me finished but I had to go to the bank to get my money...THen in exasperation I said ....

I knew this was going to be more difficult. ...

Whe she handed me those plates I swear I practiaclly vaporized....

But I got plates now....

I was freaked out after reading this whole post so I figured I would put some extra effort into my transaction.

Way to go gimp! :applause:

Sounds like a perfect execution of the "The look stupid and act painfully dense, but friendly method". All hail the gimp and his plated KTM! :bonk:

All hail the gimp and his plated KTM! :bonk:

I 2nd that!

:applause:

awesome!

you got all the reqs needed as far as I would be concerned. I had a DRZ, commuted to work (hwy 522 monroe to bothell) on it from time to time with only a head light, tail light, and plate. no turn singnals, mirrors, yada, yada. rode by cops numerous times, as long as you are not riding like an ass the cops don't even look. as already mentioned, worst case is a fix it ticket, big fawking deal. I wouldn't waste my money on that other shit unless you plan to do serious road riding.

2-stroke KTM 200 (me taking pic), 2-stroke 300 KTM, and WR400 down HWY2. no mirrors, no signals, no problem!

5484789-M-1.jpg

Why in the world would anyone post in excrutiating detail the execution of anything even remotely illegal? :bonk:

THEY monitor TT. THEY monitor TT. THEY monitor TT.

Get IT? :applause: