What does CR, KX, RM, YZ mean?

Cr (honda) = Competetion Racer

Cr (husqvarna) = Close Ratio

Rm = Racing Machine

Kx = Kawasaki X'er (pronounced Crosser)

Yz = Yamaha Zinger

Xr = X(cross) Country Racer

i think KTM is kutumer, i dont know if its spelled right though, and why would they abbreviate such a small word

This sounds like the most logical so far. And I think I've heard the CR standing for Competition Racer.

I am also one of those wondering but to chicken to ask. :thumbsup:

KTM is the first letter in 3 Austrian last names.

Actually it's two guys and a town; Kronreif, Trunkenpolz and Mattighofen. Compliments of MXA.

This has been asked before. They have no true meaning. There are all kinds of rumors and guess as to their meanings. With the exceptions of the Honda CR's and Kawasaki KX's, most have had more than one different letter combo. YZ's were MX's and SC's. The RM's were TM's. The YZ's started out as Yamaha's designation for it's works bikes. When the production machine took on the YZ, the works bike changed to OW's. Husquvarna did use CR for close ratio and WR for wide ratio. But they also had WRE, OR, GP, WRX, CP, TE and Auto, there are many more, but you get the picture.

If you ask me they just throw the whole alphabet into a hat and start pulling letters out.

If you ask me they just throw the whole alphabet into a hat and start pulling letters out.

You hit the nail on the head. Car manufacturers do the same thing. Some of the brands like BMW actually have meaning behind the letters (745iL = 7 series, 4.5-liter engine, i-fuel injected, L-Long wheelbase) and others just pick out what sounds good (Acura TSX, RL, TL, MDX, etc.)

I thought KTM meant K-mart Trail Master??

Kick Till Monday :thumbsup:

just wanted to say this was a good thread topic...kudos!

Kick Till Monday :bonk:

ahh jeez i was way off lol :thumbsup:

BY George i think he's got it :thumbsup::bonk:

YZ is something local racers made up when a shop that had built up DT-1's for racing took their bike to the track. It was a conglomeration of parts so it said on the tank " Everything from A to Z" written by one of the builders. The Y was the shape of leather strap that held the tank on, so racers at the track starting calling it a YZ. At least thats what the guy who worked for the shop said to Dirt Rider.

I can’t believe this thread has thread has gone on for 5 pages and no one has mentioned the nick name the CR had when they first came out.

(Crotch Rocket)

what you never saw star trek or star wars? :thumbsup:

Huh?

:bonk:

I was at yamaha school in 1972,they said YZ stands for end result as in the alphabet,xyz,this is what they finally came up with the end result.

I think we can all agree that the dirt bike names/letters used make mush more damn sense than Harley Davidson's approach. :excuseme: HD comes up with the most ridiculous names/models.

May be a repost, but still funny. (1:00-1:15 of this vid makes fun of the naming convention)

In the car world most letter designations stand for something, Mercedes for example, K on the end stands for Klein or "small" (SLK is a small SL, CLK is a small CL, GLK is a small GL.) Even with Toyota, the MR2 means mid engine + rear wheel drive.

I haven't been able to make any connections like that in the motocross world, other than f for 4 stroke.

i thought wr stood for wide ratio?

I am pretty sure RM stands for racing model.

KTM- Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen

EXC- Enduro cross Country

XC-W- Cross Country Wide(ratio)

MXC- Motocross Cross Country

XC- Cross Country

SX - Supercross

2dvk46u.jpg

all of them make sense except for rm, no one seems to have a good meaning

KTM- Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen

EXC- Enduro cross Country

XC-W- Cross Country Wide(ratio)

MXC- Motocross Cross Country

XC- Cross Country

SX - Supercross

2dvk46u.jpg

I have that memorized hehe. Just thought I should know what my bike is called.

well then what does the r/x stand for on the crf, like crf***r or crf***x, i think the r stands for race and the x stands for cross country. and what about kdx what could it stand for, kawasaki cross country but what would the d stand for