Sign in to follow this  

hitting the track?

hello, im new here to thumpertalk. as of reading threads and posting i have already made tt my home. and now its ME, that has a question.

im 15 and surprisingly, small. Im only 5 ft and weigh 85 lbs.

All my life i have wanted to ride but my dad says yes and my mom said no.(shes a nurse so its obvious)

so about a year and a half ago my dad bought an old 1985 xr 80. It wasnt in the best condition and i would ride it and it would break constantly. Through this time i learned MANY things about dirtbike mateinence(sp?) I had it and rode it for about 3 months before its kickstarter had broke. we couldnt find the problem so we gave up on it. Then i started having urges to ride again. So i went and pulled it out after a year later and found the problem. The kickstarter had ONLY been stripped! I was so excited. So we fixed that and then worked on it the entire day to get it running until it was a very nice bike for its age. I rode it for a week and then found a fill dirt place. it had a trail going to it and it was practically heaven to me because of all the jumpes and etc. I rode there and was jumping until i was maxing out the shocks. So we went looking at dirtbikes and found a honda dealer with 2 honda cr85s, both experts. one was a 2005, and one a 2004, just because the 2004 was a year older, it was marked 700$ less. My dad said he knew itd be gone soon since it was the christmas season. So we bought it. :applause: This was a month before christmas. I have been riding it since and i now have a nice track in my back yard(2 acres), but not mx worthy.

My dads friends that ride motocross said that im to good for the track now and that i need to get into racing. The only close track near us is strawberry hill(south carolina) about 30 minutes from us.Im so excited to start racing! But...ive never raced on a REAL mx track and i need to know. what should i watch out for? What do i need to know? im familiar with jumping..not big though..only about 15 feet or so. And im able to race a track decently.

Please help!

Heres strawberry hills website, isnt it nice? :bonk: :http://www.strawberryhillmx.com/home.htm

scroll to the middle and take the flash lap to see the track

i really would not recomend racing until you go out there a few times. if you have never ridden a real MX track then you may be in for a surprise. no offense but 15ft is like the smallest jump at my local track. it also gets rough with other bikes and also the fact that when you race, you are out there with other people,not just you.

well yes, im not just going to go sign up for the FIRST race ever i can, im going to go more than a few times just to ride, practice, and get the feeling of motocross.

Yeah if you want to start racing you need to practice jumping and jumping big and especially cornering. The scariest thing when your racing is the other racers. Lets say you dont have enough speed and you roll a jump and the racer behind you hits it while your coming down the landing. You either miss eachother by a foot or two or you get landed on. Not pretty.

Biggest thing when hitting the MX track for the first time is to make sure you practice slowly until you get the confidence to do the jumps and cornering. Don't be in a hurry to go fast, as you can get hurt very quickly doing something stupid. Your speed will come as you get more experience.

Also, don't get intimidated by all the other riders at the track. Just concentrate on your form and yourself. Basically the only etiquette I know of at the track is to stay to one side or the other and NEVER cross the track in a diagonal as someone faster than you might be trying to pass you when you do this and end up hitting you like mentioned in the above post. Just maintain your line and let the faster riders worry about passing you not the other way around. :applause:

By the way, what does your mom think now? I ran into the same thing with my wife, she worked in the ER at a local hospital and didn't want me to ride, but is relatively ok about it now.

i just basically have to suck it up if i get hurt, unless its a pretty bad injury.

and you said not to get intimadated by other riders..i actually had the same case with when i started skateboarding...i was scared at first but then i got better and dont worry about it anymore. whats pretty good is that they have a small beginner track to the side that doesnt go as big.

thanks for the help so far,i really appreciate it guys(and gals if gals). :applause:

i just basically have to suck it up if i get hurt, unless its a pretty bad injury.

and you said not to get intimadated by other riders..i actually had the same case with when i started skateboarding...i was scared at first but then i got better and dont worry about it anymore. whats pretty good is that they have a small beginner track to the side that doesnt go as big.

thanks for the help so far,i really appreciate it guys(and gals if gals). :applause:

I skateboard parks too and it's not the same thing buddy. :bonk: You could also step up your track a bit and build obstacles that you need to work on (like curves).

Good luck

Your fine to race, they have a D class for a reason. Make sure you know the track, and believe it or not, you don't have to jump everything to win! Get out and get some practice, that track looked very mild, and nothing to intimidating. I started racing last year when I was 15 and now its my life, its great, get out there, pratice, and have fun.

One of the biggest mistakes I see newbies make is trying to get out of the way of faster riders. In doing so, they end up getting run over. The important thing to remember is to HOLD YOUR LINE. That way a faster rider can predict where you will be, and make adjustments to go around you when it's time to pass you. You'll appreciate that when the day comes that you're the faster rider.

try practiceing getting close to other people in the air and the ground so when you race you get used to the feeling of someone really close to you

Biggest thing when hitting the MX track for the first time is to make sure you practice slowly until you get the confidence to do the jumps and cornering. Don't be in a hurry to go fast, as you can get hurt very quickly doing something stupid. Your speed will come as you get more experience.

Also, don't get intimidated by all the other riders at the track. Just concentrate on your form and yourself. Basically the only etiquette I know of at the track is to stay to one side or the other and NEVER cross the track in a diagonal as someone faster than you might be trying to pass you when you do this and end up hitting you like mentioned in the above post. Just maintain your line and let the faster riders worry about passing you not the other way around. :applause:

By the way, what does your mom think now? I ran into the same thing with my wife, she worked in the ER at a local hospital and didn't want me to ride, but is relatively ok about it now.

This is great advice. I would also bring with me: extra plugs, tool kit, air tank or compressor, maybe extra tubes, and remember don't try and race others at the track, concentrate on your form.

yes we keep most of that with us all the time. today we went and checked out the track and it is a whole lot different than i expected. Plus now that the racing season is over they havnt maintained the track so it looks pretty bad. :applause: It is more of a ghost town right now. but its open to the few riders that go during this time, to practice on saturdays. Im excited to ride it. :bonk: and again, your help everyone, is helpful!

so thanks

I'm just like you, realuser. I just have a question about if there is a D class that you can race a 250x in.

Most classes (125/250F, 250/450F) have A,B,C,D classes. There will be sand baggers (they should be in the higher level class, but like racing beginners). Starts are very nerv racking - lining up with several other bikes and trying to be the first on to the first turn is scary. As for racing, hit the track at least once to get a feel for it, after that its trial by fire. Some people have issues with bikes jumping that close to them, if you can't handle it, then MX isn't for you. Give it a try first and see what you think. Remember, you are racing the track, not the other riders - if you win, bonus!

The only thing that is going to make you a better racer though is PRACTICE - walk the track, get a feel for the lines, learn the terrain - wear your gear and have fun! :applause: