What to pay for a for a 1997 xr250? xr400?

I am looking at a 1997 xr250r and was wondering what it might go for. Also looking at a 1999 xr400. both seem to be in good shape, but some costs? I am 6'4" and 230 looking for trail riding and possible light duty work commute.

Thanks for any input :applause:

TJ

I would discontinue looking at the 250 at your size. What are they asking for the 400? What are its pluses and minuses? Has it been neglected? How does it look? Daily driver? Dirt only? Add on items?

The 400 is a 99 and it has hand guards, skid, and piped, looks in good shape, havent ridden...probably 60-40 street to dirt but dont want a dog when in the dirt, care more about the "dirtability"

Thanks

TJ

Hey TJ go for the XR 400. I am about 220lbs and the 400 hauls my ass around just fine. I don't think the 250 would do as well and after you get better at riding you will want the torque of the 400.

I got a 03 XR 400 last spring and thought it had so much power and torque I would never use it all. Well after riding it for a year and getting much better I am now using all the power the bike has. The bike also seemed big and heavy at first but now it just feels great. If I had got a 250 I would probably be looking for a 400 by now, so go with the 400. Start slow and you will grow into it quickly. They are great all round bikes and very reliable.

As for the price I am from Canada so I can't say what one should be worth where you are, but $2600 does sound a little high to me. Try to talk him down a bit as most people ask more than the expect to get.

Hope this helps Bert.

by all means, the 400 would be the better bike. i am 5 10, 250. i bought my 98 xr400r for $1150(kinda like the old corvette in the barn thing) after gordon mods,and 200 for all new plastic, it looks and runs like awesome. all you have to do is keep looking, great deals are out there. if i can only find that xr650r now!!!!!

Go the 400 for sure, i wanted a 250 because in aus the rego is half the price i thought i had plenty of power untill i rode one and then a 400 and im only 16 but i love just a bit heavy great all rounder. Im happy i got the 400 and not the 250 i would just be looking for more power on it. But ride them both and judge for your self.

I own a 2001 Xr250 and my brother owns a 2001 Xr 400.

Mods to the Xr250 are

-FMF pipe from the 400(mounted ghetto, I hated stock sound)

-Removed snorkal

-stiffened rear suspension up some

-(Locked up motor thanks to neighbor :bonk: )

Mods to the Xr400 are

-FMF power bomb header

-FMF trail pipe(forget name, kinda quiet, but is very loud under WOT)

-UNI filter

-Barkbusters- lowrise bars

I'm about 130 pounds, 5'5. I personally would much rather have the 400 than my 250, but it's what I own(currently thinking about a stroker kit, but I need more research, I'm a n00b to building dirtbikes, I'm more into riding them, and building cars).

My brother is about my height, but weighs about 180-200 pounds. He loves this bike, and it has more than enough power to get up the woods and thru anything.

IMO, the 400 will be better. The 250 is a little lighter, which is good for weak ones(me), but it has nothing for the power of the 400. If you want something you won't get bored with, get the 400. If you want a nimble bike, get a 250.

1st post yay :applause:

I'll second ( or is more like eighth) the 400.

Look here in the classifieds to see what they're going for.

When you go to check it out have him start it with you watching from the back. Touch the head to make sure it's cold. Look for blue smoke coming out the tail pipe on start. Check the rear sprocket. If it's the original you can tell how hard it's been used relative to how hard the owner tells you it's been used. Curved teeth means it's time to change the sprocket chain and means more than a few miles and or gentle putts just back and forth to work. Check the oil. It shouldn't look like road tar if he claims to have taken care of it. Front and rear disks should be flat/smooth. If not he never changed the pads. Again, did he claim to take good care of it. Lift the front fork boots. Look for oil on the fork tubes.

Ask if it has any modifications. I used to think if it did my first thought would be that he raced it and beat the crap out of it, but then I look at me and I mod mine because I love this bike and want it to be it's best. Usually people that are willing to put money into there machine with aftermarket stuff are also willing to put time and money into it for maintenance.

Take it for a ride if you can. Just up and down the drive or block.