Need help again on oil loss?

I previously posted that I was having an oil loss problem. I have an '04 rmz 250 with a 300 kit and ported cylinder(super unleaded). I changed the filter, which I have done several times in the past, but this time I was looking through the manual to see how the oil actually flowed. I noticed my bike did not have that spring between the filter and the cover to hold tension in on the filter. Could this cause it to be blowing oil out the overflow tube onto the back tire.

After riding three 30 minute motos and a little play riding, I added oil to see how much was actually lost. I added almost 600cc's! The plug looks great and there is now soot in the pipe nor is it smoking a bit. It actually runs like hell. What it is causing to happen, (I think), is that the slack I have in the clutch cable when I begin to ride goes away and the clutch gets really tight. Like I have to let it almost all the way out before it moves. I run Amsoil in the motor w/ Two2Cool. I don't have much time on the motor since I built it and it has never overheated. (no radiator fluid has ever puked out). I am stumped. There are no leaks in the head or cylinder, I talked to the guys at Thumper Racing and they said change the rings and run a hone thru the cylinder. I bought the rings and gaskets but never put them in yet. I don't feel like there is enough time on the bike to change that already. I may have 20-30 hours on the motor since I put the kit in.

Cylepop talk some magic for me and tell me what the hell is goin' on. :applause: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

that cant be it, my bike didnt have the spring there until i just noticed when i was going through the manual. thats when i found out there was a spring there. i rode probably 150 hours without it. it could be a cracked piston!

FYI,

I think I got it sorted out. I actually did not have enough heat in the bike when I broke it in (steel cylinder sleeve now b/c of big bore) and it glazed up before the rings seated. This pushed alot of pressure passed the rings into the case causing it to drip out.

Next problem was the slack in the clutch would go away after riding a while and I would have to readjust it when I got back to the pits. Well, stupid is as stupid does; I finally marked the adjuster and realized that the adjuster was loosening which actually tightened the cable and caused it to get tight. I guess I finally had some time to troubleshoot and figure it out.

Charlie

I previously posted that I was having an oil loss problem. I have an '04 rmz 250 with a 300 kit and ported cylinder(super unleaded). I changed the filter, which I have done several times in the past, but this time I was looking through the manual to see how the oil actually flowed. I noticed my bike did not have that spring between the filter and the cover to hold tension in on the filter. Could this cause it to be blowing oil out the overflow tube onto the back tire.

After riding three 30 minute motos and a little play riding, I added oil to see how much was actually lost. I added almost 600cc's! The plug looks great and there is now soot in the pipe nor is it smoking a bit. It actually runs like hell. What it is causing to happen, (I think), is that the slack I have in the clutch cable when I begin to ride goes away and the clutch gets really tight. Like I have to let it almost all the way out before it moves. I run Amsoil in the motor w/ Two2Cool. I don't have much time on the motor since I built it and it has never overheated. (no radiator fluid has ever puked out). I am stumped. There are no leaks in the head or cylinder, I talked to the guys at Thumper Racing and they said change the rings and run a hone thru the cylinder. I bought the rings and gaskets but never put them in yet. I don't feel like there is enough time on the bike to change that already. I may have 20-30 hours on the motor since I put the kit in.

Cylepop talk some magic for me and tell me what the hell is goin' on. ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Start off this time without anything added to the oil.