Biggest tire that will fit a 3.5" rim?

I have the Pirelli and Avon tire guides and the 130/70 tires

recommend a 3.5" rim, with 3-4" allowable. You can go to the tire

manufacturers online literature and find specs and tables for most

tires. A 140 tire on a 3.5" rim sometimes is allowable but it does

change the installed shape of the tire, giving a more rounded tread.

As you go lower in profile the tire width must more closely match

the correct rim, since there is less sidewall to take up the difference.

The 4.25" rim commonly available from Excel and others fits 140,150, and

even some 160 width tires, so it's a popular choice.

:applause: Dave

120 width is very common. I believe the GP250, 125 width, slicks go right on the 3.5 rim. I think that is about as good as it gets, as I really don't believe that throwing a 130 width tire on it is wise.

This is a GS500 rear wheel, which came stock with a 130 tire. I'd like to go with a true motard tire, but the only thing I can find in a rear any less than 150 is the ContiTwist. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks Dave, I'll take another look at the websites to see what I can come up with on manufacturer recommendations.

Bart

The new Dunlop D208 Supermoto tire is what I would use

in a 140/70-R17 size. It is original equipment on a Suzuki DRZ400SM,

and up to now has only been available thru Suzuki dealers (at an inflated

price). It will be available thru tire retailers starting later this month.

I don't have the Dunlop specs but I would imagine the 3.5" rim would

be pushing minimum on that tire. Worth a look, though.

:applause: Dave

Well for most of the year around our way (rain, rain, rain) I mount up Bridgestone V rated BT45's. They are available in the 130 width also. That's the problem with the little bikes with little rims...not many rear specific tires out there. For late spring and summer, I run GP125 slicks. GP125 rains are too expensive for my blood, as I can get the set of BT45's for the cost of one rain.

I will do some looking, but I can't remember any motard specific rears in the 120-130 range. Only option seems to be to spin the fronts :applause:

Dave, I have an e-mail in to Dunlop now to ask about the allowable rim widths for the D208 SM. The DRZ that it comes on has a 4.5" rear rim so I'm not holding my breath.

Mcdrz, somehow when I was working through the Bridgestone website I missed the BT45. Pretty good tire?

And talk to me more about spinning a front. I've heard of people running front tires on the rear and vice versa, but I'm not sure how common or advisable it is. Any opinions? If I could do that, it would open up a lot more options for me.

Thanks!

Continental Contiforce. It was cheap and looked like a decent tire, so I went with it.

Hey, I'm all about cheap. What kind of wheel & tire combo are you running up front? How wide is your front rim, and what size tire are you running?

Actually there are H and V rated Bridgetsone BT45's. The "V" is a softer compound and has a stiffer sidewall. They actually work pretty damn good.

The other option is to get a bigger bike front and mount it opposite than you would on the front if that makes sense. Most of the tires are directional and/or front rear specific.

• Like 1

Maybe a 180 tire will fit, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Wow, think of how easily the bike would fall into turns! But I may have to cut some big notches in my swingarm for clearance... :applause:

I've pretty much decided on either the BT45's, probably in a 120 front and a 140 rear (the website says both are approved for my rim widths) or maybe the ContiForce. The problem with the Conti is that their website doesn't have a table of allowed rim widths and they haven't returned the e-mail I sent for more information. TeamToxic seems to be getting along fine with the 150 (the narrowest they make) on the same rear wheel I have, but I'd feel a little better dropping the cash if I could get an okay from the horse's mouth.

I can't justify dropping $300 on a set of tires for this particular project, so I'll have to pass on some of the stickier high dollar stuff.

The good news is, my wheels have shipped! With any luck they'll land on my doorstep sometime this week and I can start thinking about getting them fitted up.

buddy of mine is running a set of GS500 wheels on his WR400. He's using two front wheels for his bike, so he's monting a 150 Supercorsa on the GS500 front wheel (designed to run a 110 tire) on the back of his bike. I've not seen his setup yet, but will be checking it out shortly.

buddy of mine is running a set of GS500 wheels on his WR400. He's using two front wheels for his bike, so he's monting a 150 Supercorsa on the GS500 front wheel (designed to run a 110 tire) on the back of his bike. I've not seen his setup yet, but will be checking it out shortly.

I'd be interested to see how he set up the drive sprocket, just out of curiousity.

Bsharp, I know what you mean in reference to tire cost. I think it is a good price for the performance with the BT45's. I am sure that there are probably better performers out there, just not at anywhere near their price point. And the fact that you can get front & rear specific tires in them is a big positive as far as I am concerned. Best of luck...

Up front I have a 120 Continental Contiforce on a ZX-7 front wheel (3.5"). I paid around $100 for the rear and $75 for the front. I rode with the setup for around 4 months with no issues until school and winter ended my fun.

I don't have the reciepts with me here at school so I can't provide you the source. I found the place online, they're based out of Ohio.