thinking a top end... but what else?

hey well i have on 04 which ive put quite a few hours on it. About a month ago, i tried to start it once i got back from elsinore, it just wouldnt start. I noticed that i after i tried to bump it, it started right up, but it missed and a lot of smoke was coming out of the exhaust while it was warming up. I took it in to the dealer by my house to get the forks rebuilt and to look at the valves. They reshimed them, but they told me sand got into the motor and wore my valves at an angle. He said i was going to get maybe two rides out of it before it needs a rebuild. I was quoted 1100, and that was for everything. So it was running great after i got it back so i went out to ocotillo for new years it ran flawless. however, when i got back from taking it to elsinore on sunday, its acting like it did before, but without the missing. there is noticably less compression, but do i need to put in new valves, buckets etc? thanks-mike

This is why i stay away from sand dunes. You will get only a few rides on the valves, once they go zero again I would replace the valves and etc. If there is notible scaring from sand I would replace everything in the top-end. Once everything from the top end is apart you can inspect the rod and see if any other damage has formed. I would also clean your airbox and replace your filter with a clean one.

The head sounds like it needs to get a valve job and some replacement parts.

There are a number of options in fixing your problem, from steel valves to nickel bronze seats.

My recommendation is to use steel valves, have the seats re-cut, check the guides for wear, and new seals. I recommend a spring kit along with the valves to compensate for added weight of steel valves.

Otherwise, one can use new Titanium valves and get a fresh valve job, new seals, and inspect guides and springs.

Total disassembly, cleaning, valve job and reassembly is $100.

contact me and let me know if I can help

headworks10@aol.com