Trashed 230f

Ok. So my day began easy enough. Got home early to take my daughter out riding at the nearest OHV (off-highway vehicle) park. About 20 minutes away. Loaded up my 85 XR100 and my brand new CRF230 onto the trailer and we headed out. The road is windy and we go up and down one mountain pass. On the way down there was a turn right (15mph) about 25 yards downhill and a turn left (15mph). At the left turn, I look in my mirror, and low and behold there goes my XR right out of the trailer, into the side of the mountain. And Oh wait, there goes my CRF230 over the side. Try to slow down, but this is a single lane road, and I have about 4 cars behind me. So I try to pull out of the turn where I can pull of the side of the road. But wait, whats that grinding noise?!?

Pull the truck over, and about 50 feet back the XR is lying on its side against the mountain. (thankfully out of the road)... And there is my CRF UNDER the trailer wheel. With the tie strap still hooked to the handle bars, and the other end is tide to the axel of the trailer. Turns out it go hooked, so not only did I drag the CRF the 50 feet, but I was reeling it in like a fishing pole with every turn of the trailer wheel. So the CRF is stuck UNDER the trailer, wedged by the road.

So I run up the road (already in my riding boots) and get the XR out of the mud. The handle bars are bent, and the throttle assembly is coming off. No big deal. A guy pulls over and helps me lift the trailer so I can pull the bike out from underneath...

So, now I have an 06 CRF 230 with exactly 1 riding hour on it, needing a whole make over. I think the front forks need to be replaced, all the plastics, the seat, the handle grips, the kill switch, the kick stand, the handle bars. Maybe more. It started, and I had to walk the bike around our Tahoe (in about 6 inches of clay mud).

Fun times had by all. I got a shopping list of parts I need through Ron Ayers. Looks like worst case is $1012.00 for the parts. Just spent $3700 on the bike not 6 days ago.

Oh yeah, and it seems that one of my tiedown straps just gave out. With the downhill turning motion the front suspension on the bike gave enough to loosen the tie straps, unhooking them from the trailer. One bike hit the other, and the rest is history. So I just went to Home Depot and bought about $65 in more hardware to secure the bikes. Guess I should of done this two days ago.

Just thankful nobody got hurt, and I didn't lose something down the cliff on the other side of the street. :applause:

So yeah... I am happy.

I'll donate an almost-new front number plate and some stock handlebars to your new "project" if you want them (you're better off just replacing the bars w/ aluminum ones though.) PM me your shipping info if you want them.

I'll bet you pull your tie-downs super tight from now on!

People say that if you tie the bike down too much you will blow your seals, Bullsh*t. I have never heard of anyone doing that and it has never happened to me. When I drag race my 954rr I use a front strap and compress the front most of the way down and they have never leaked either, but I will tell you if you leave them too loose you will find your bikes on the side of the road and you driving away. Sorry to hear about that, it is one of my fears also. I would rather replace seals then a bike anyday. I hope you rebuild it soon and get to enjoy that 230 because it is a nice bike.

This is everyone's nightmare. Sorry for your misfortune.

The first thing I do when I get new Ancra's is cut off those #*&%^damn hooks and put carabiners in their place. I hardly have to cinch my bikes down because with carabiners clipped through eyes and loops there is no way they can hop off unless the webbing breaks. Another rope clipped between the bikes helps in case one of the outer tiedowns ever breaks. It's falling outward that really messes things up. I've been 4 wheeling with the loaded trailer at ungodly angles and never a problem. I stopped having "the" nightmare. I use steel carabiners for the connections to the trailer and aluminum ones for the upper connections.

• Like 1

what accident

I looped really hard, going fast and it being on the pavement made it that much worse.Lucky I was never hurt, but my bike sure was.I put $600 of repairs this last summer.Not to mention a lot of deep scrapes, I still haven't replaced my front and rear fender.

Wolfy, you must of got your bike back, How do you like it?