Clicking Starter on TTR125...Help

I went to start my wife's bike after letting it sit for 3 months. The e-start just made a constant clicking sound at the relay next to the battery. I took the starter off of the bike and tried the e-start again and same thing. I was thinking maybe the battery was too dead to turn over the engine, but nope, not even a turn with no load on the starter off of the engine.

I did a huge search and turned up a few threads that said batteries, some said brushes. I wondering if anyone that has experienced this could chime in with the solution to the issue.

I started the bike with the kick starter and let it run for a few minutes and even rode it around the block hoping to charge the battery, but nothing. Still just click, click, click, click.

I hate the hourly charge at the Yamaha dealer. I'm hoping it's something easy I can take care of.

Thanks in advance.

ahh the notorious click click click yes this had me confused for a while cause my bike wouldnt like to start and that it would start clicking rapidly as if the battery was completely dead and gone. What it is, is the connections are loose most likely from the positive terminal if you can turn the wires or move them up and down then its too loose. Tighten and if it is still loose put a little metal washer in between the bolt head and terminal it will fix your whole problem. Also you should probably charge the battery if it sits for even a week. But since you started it up with the kickstarter it should have given the battery a little more of a charge even with the loose connections.

I haven't charged my battery yet. I will definitely re-tighten all the conections and see if that cures it. The battery sounded strong as it was clicking away, but just nothing at the starter.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep everyone posted.

Well, re-tightened the connections...nothing. I just went out and bought a (nice; whole nother story :applause: ) battery charger, charged it up and again...nothing! I'm at a loss now...

I'm thinking that it might be the brushes in the starter, but that is just a guess based off of another post in here.

Any help out there...........??????

Well, re-tightened the connections...nothing. I just went out and bought a (nice; whole nother story :applause: ) battery charger, charged it up and again...nothing! I'm at a loss now...

I'm thinking that it might be the brushes in the starter, but that is just a guess based off of another post in here.

Any help out there...........??????

Is it still clicking? check the fuse and check the relay connections, and make sure you cannot wiggle the bolts to the terminals

Sure is clicking still. I disassembled the entire battery area. Checked the connections, fuses and wires to the starter and everything was fine.

I don't know &%$#@! is going on!!!

Try jumpstarting the bike and if it starts let it warm up and then test the battery it should be at or above 13v. before that test the battery and post the results

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds like a dead battery to me. I was curious to know if those ttr125s can be bump started? thanks

Sounds like it would work but if the battery cannot hold a charge the bike wont stay on ? my 225's battery is complete dead and will hold a charge for a very very short time :bonk: sometimes I can get it to start but it will just cut out. the only way I can keep it on is if I have a battery charger connected to it while it runs ?:bonk: I hate this I need a new battery

for bump starting:

put bike in second gear and hold clutch

run at a nice fast pace next to the bike as you hold the handlebar

pop clutch out

tire may lock up but keep pushing

bike will begin to fire and keep pushing until you have it running. Be sure to cover the clutch so the bike does not leave you behind.

just did it today since my bike's battery can only start the bike for a few attempts before losing all of its charge.

When the starter starts clicking rule of thumb is to check the battery and the connections first. This is where almost all the problems exist. With such a small cell it does't take much for the battery not to turn the starter over. You need to fully charge the battery without frying it with too much juice. If the connections are tight and the battery holds a full charge, you must meter the battery to check for the charge because a weak battery will show full on the charger but in reality isn't.