Sign in to follow this  

Any of you ladies start riding over 30?

Well I'm about to being the new adventure here.....and yes over 30.

New to TT, riding and ........posting really.

It all started w/ a guy. One that has truly inspired me and that I love very much. In my venture to spend more time with him, I purchased a bike tonite off e-bay. I am very exited and very nervous. I've never really been on a motorcycle before and I must say I'm a bit scared.

Don't worry the bike is small (xr100) so hopefully I won't kill myself the first time out :bonk:

Can anyone recommend a good "how to" video or book? :applause:

You ended up getting a bike - GREAT!!! You'll have a great time, and don't worry about killing yourself :-)

Stacey

Hey Stacey - was gonna PM ya on that. I dont actually have possession but I will soon enough. :applause:

Now just need to find someplace wide and flat to pratice the throtle, clutch and where's the braaaaakkkkkkeeee.

Need to get the rest of the gear as well. Man I love ebay!!

Bonnie

Yep... Started at 36 four years ago. You picked a good bike to start with. I originally learned to ride on an XR80. We have the Gary Semics tapes. But I really recommend tracking down a really patient local pro and paying for an hour or two of lessons. Not your boyfriend. Get out and ride on a very tame track/area first. Then after a few weeks of riding, get the lessons. The hands-on approach with an individual on-site is so important. They can point out things to you that you can't get from a tape/book.

Wear as much protection as you can, and don't worry about going slow.

Have fun!!!

SusanE

I started a year and a half ago at 39 and like you had never ridden a motorcycle. My boyfriend did a great job of teaching me with out any "trouble". I guess you two will have to figure out if it will work for you. I started riding at small OHV park that was mostly flat but had a few small hills. Learn at your own pace, spend as much time riding as you can so you get comfortable...AND HAVE A BLAST.

. Not your boyfriend.
:applause:

That's so funny! I have heard that quite a bit. But he is very patient and I think it will be ok.

Of course.....I have been wrong before. :cry:

I already have planned to take the motorcycle safety course offered at the Rites of Spring. If they have it anyway. Along w/ the novice class they offered last year. I went last year as well like my sign on says...."Along4the ride". :bonk:

i started at 34! i would have to say i'm pretty conservative in my riding still...but i'm having a great time, and its a great way to spend time with my ol' man (he's younger than me). we've got two day at the track this weekend, and a weekend in the desert next weekend! it will be a family affair in the not too distant future.

enjoy your adventure!!

I started almost a year ago at 35 - I LOVE IT!!! It was like being a kid again and having fun!

My husband taught me. (He is very patient). I learned on logging roads and never ventured on a "trail" until I wanted to. (I have had a friend quit because her husband took her straight to the trails). I started and still ride a XR200 - and haven't come close to killing myself - LOTS of bruises though. I also second the comment on wear all of the safety gear that you can!

Good luck - amd most of all, have lots of fun! :applause:

My wife (who's name is also Bonnie) started riding two years ago at age 44. She started on a xt225. Which looking back was maybe the wrong choice for a 5'4" newbie. I had one of my best friends teach her to ride. The problem with me teaching her is I'm her husband and therefore obviously dumber than a bag of hammers. :applause: After your first couple of crashes you'll feel like a real dirt biker. But seriously, I think that I expect to much out of her when I try to teach her anything. She now loves to trail ride in fact today she was out riding her xr200 that we got yesterday. I think she will get even more enjoyment out of this bike. We live up by West Branch so if you are ever around our area give us a holler and maybe we can get together for some riding.

Well I'm about to being the new adventure here.....and yes over 30.

New to TT, riding and ........posting really.

It all started w/ a guy. One that has truly inspired me and that I love very much. In my venture to spend more time with him, I purchased a bike tonite off e-bay. I am very exited and very nervous. I've never really been on a motorcycle before and I must say I'm a bit scared.

Don't worry the bike is small (xr100) so hopefully I won't kill myself the first time out :cry:

Can anyone recommend a good "how to" video or book? :bonk:

Congrats on the new ride, & welcome to TT! :applause:

I got my street license first, at 28, and did that by taking the MSF course... a great deal start for ANY riding, IMHO, glad to see you're looking into the safety course!

I got my first dirt bike in August of '03... just plan on getting bruises, dirty, and learning how to do some basic motorcycle maintenance... you'll LOVE it! :cry:

Can anyone recommend a good "how to" video or book? :applause:

I started riding at age 45, about 7 months ago. There are so many things about riding a dirt bike that I love, and it's truly opened a whole new dimension to my life.

One book that both my son and I have found useful is Pro Motocross and Off-Road Riding Techniques by Donnie Bales, Gary Semics. While it focus primarily on motocross riding, there's a lot of material on trail riding as well. Most importantly for us, it covers basic topics such as body position, braking, and turning that we learned quite a bit from.

Here's a link to it at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760318026/102-8857764-3148102?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Well I appreciate the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to getting out there.

And Nastcat (I had to mapquest where the heck West Branch is located), we would love to go ride with you all some time. I used to spend some time in the Houghton Lake area/Roscommon w/ friends in the summer and once for TipUPTown.

And L2F I feel like I already know you because of Scott(WC). Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey! Welcome to the club!!!

I started when I was thirty. I finally got pissed enough at being left in camp with the mommies. But I'd already had been riding horses previously (many of the balance priciples and the ideas of being commited to a decision transfers over) but I was pretty weak, out of shape and, well, scared because I'd been so sick for a few years with my FMS. So, it was pretty darn scary. But the guy at the motorcycle shop gave me the best advice: DO not EVER let ANYONE push you into doing ANYTHING you don't feel you are ready to do.

My husband is also a very good teacher and patient. For some reason he REALLY likes my company so doesn't mind a slow putt-putt ride. But it is wonderful to be outside again and moving and doing something challenging even if it's going to take a really long time for improvement.

Anyway, have a BLAST!!! And be sure to invest in as much protective gear as you can afford. Things don't heal as quickly as they do when you are in your twenties!!! :applause:

Me, me!!

I will be the big 40 in July and I think this Christmas marked the 3rd year riding. I have always loved bikes, but stayed pretty content riding on the back. Secretly wanted to ride, but after one try at hubby's NightHawk 650 that lasted for about 8 feet, I didn't get another chance. A few years back I decided I wanted a dirtbike. Started small and now have an RM125 for the track and a DR400S for trails.

Welcome:)

A4theRide,

congrats on your purchase! ebay is a great thing. i ride indoor AX at pro source during the winter months....but the trails are lots of fun too...we have a spring and fall ride every year...same place in michigan. real fun weekend. lots of levels of riding (some don't/can't) and partying too. my wife may make this one. not sure if we are going to get her a bike or quad...maybe both.

ps...invite extends out to any fellow michiganders(not that that would matter).

Need to get the rest of the gear as well. Man I love ebay!!

Bonnie

Congratulations!!! I started at 27 years old, 30 years ago and my (new) Wife just started last Summer at 46 years old. She has ridden the little motor-bikes with no clutch in Thailand, but never a real off-road bike.

About "the rest of the gear", Please don't skimp on nor delay getting some good off-road boots. The helmet is critical, but you will probably smash or cut your feet and legs (especially your shins) long before you land on your head.. I learned the hard way that hiking boots don't do the trick! And it doesn't take a fall to hurt your legs.

Have a GREAT time!

Congratulations!!! I started at 27 years old, 30 years ago and my (new) Wife just started last Summer at 46 years old. She has ridden the little motor-bikes with no clutch in Thailand, but never a real off-road bike.

About "the rest of the gear", Please don't skimp on nor delay getting some good off-road boots. The helmet is critical, but you will probably smash or cut your feet and legs (especially your shins) long before you land on your head.. I learned the hard way that hiking boots don't do the trick! And it doesn't take a fall to hurt your legs.

Have a GREAT time!

Congrats :bonk: I started at 35. Get moto boots!!!!

Congratulations on getting a bike!! I started at 31 (3 years ago) with a TTR225. I didn't know anyone that rode so I was stuck with my husband teaching me to ride. He doesn't ride so he was only good for teaching me how to shift. The rest was trial and error (hurts and don't hurt). I wish I had taken a lesson or two. Protective gear is a must...it is more comfortable than a cast! You should also get knee pads and elbow pads. Trust your instincts, if you don't think you are ready for something...don't try it. I have upgraded to a 05 WR20F and love it. I am glad I started on a small bike though, you can always get a bigger bike! Have fun and enjoy the ride!